Flying and general travel!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Flying and general travel!

Postby LME79 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:53 am

I'm not talking about how well they're flown, I wouldn't be able to tell as a mere passenger.

I was talking about the actual service and facilities. Iberia, in my experience, have been awful each time and I'm not the only person that thinks so - one time I had to connect in Madrid and the first flight was delayed. Not their fault, but I've had the same with BA before and BA provided excellent customer service, they made sure everyone was alright and in comfort but Iberia did nothing ... it was almost like they didn't actually want to be there. We didn't get the basic customer service. I'll pretty much go with anyone for a short haul but Iberia I will not fly with again as I was not impressed with the way they handled their customers.

I think it's important to have good staff and good facilities for a long haul flight - if I'm going to be on a plane for 15 hours I at least want a TV screen on the seat in front rather than a massive one that everyone has to crane their necks for! The staff are soooo so friendly at Cathay as well and that's so important, I think.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 am

I haven't flown on any exotic planes.

I suppose given that, Eastern Airways are the better ones because it's business travel, soft leather seats...quite a lot of leg room at the front, adequate at the back. You are given sweets on take off and landing and free drinks. So in that respect Eastern Airways...however they take me to work.

The last few years I've only flown via Easy Jet or Thomson.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Iv only ever flew thomas cook but this year we are using thomson but i think the planes will be the same?I havent had any bad experiences with staff,just miserable fellow travellers!
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 pm

kerrie24 wrote:Iv only ever flew thomas cook but this year we are using thomson but i think the planes will be the same?I havent had any bad experiences with staff,just miserable fellow travellers!

Me too. Last year me and my bf were separated on the plane, sitting next to him were a young couple and their kid who was screaming, they wanted to be up and down (constantly) and I think they actually resented my bf sitting next to them. They hadn't paid for an extra seat for their small toddler and were suprised when someone actually sat next to them and it wasn't like easy jet where you can have 3 seats between 2 paying customers; they winged and said they were sooooooo disappointed and were going easy jet again next year (I was tempted to say if you are THAT bothered you could have paid for an extra seat).

The fat girl sitting next to me kept spilling under the seat and changing my TV station; about 10 changes later I gave up.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:18 pm

haha dipsy its quite funny i could be the one with the screaming toddler!Last year was the first year we had to put our daughter in her own seat cos she had turned 2.She wasnt having any of it and had to be pinned into the seat while the air hostess strapped her in.There was a miserable old man in front who kept turning around glaring at me,as if there was anything i could do!Its not as if the parents enjoy travelling with a screaming child,thats why i stick to short flights.Before our little girl was 2 we tried to pay for a seat for her but they have to be on your knee,which is very frustrating when they wont sit still,but you arent allowed a seat for them till they are 2 even though she was 3 foot tall and over 2 and a half stone,she had to sit on my knee for 3 hours.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't mind a screaming kid so long as the parents are trying to quieten it down, it's when they sit and ignore it and it screams louder I object.

I think this little girl in question was over 2 but her parents didn't want to pay for an extra seat.

The thing with screaming kids is that once the plane is up they are generally quiet; it's all exciting once the engine noise has gone and the popping sensation has gone.

On about screaming kids, we went to Portgual on Easy Jet 2 years ago and there was a screaming kid sitting 2 rows in front of us....when we were standing ready to leave the plane, the guy says to my bf..."are you X's nephew?" when we confirmed he was, he guy said "he said you two were coming today, you look so much like your uncle (they'd never met each other before), I guess we'll see you in a couple of days". My bf's uncle was in Portugal and he took us up to his friends villa to see it and spend the day there, and a few days later their whole clan came across to the island where we were staying for "Portuguese BBQ'.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:01 pm

kerrie24 wrote:Iv only ever flew thomas cook but this year we are using thomson but i think the planes will be the same?

Sort of. Thomas Cook use A320's etc and Thomson airways use B737's for short haul. However both use B757's and a few other types.. so it depends where you're going.

LME, What was the cause of the delay with Iberia and also with BA? I cant say i've ever had a problem with IB ground staff nor their air hostesses however their pilots are an arrogant bunch. I know that for sure. I also understand that every airline has customers that dislike them and others who love them.

I'm not talking about how well they're flown, I wouldn't be able to tell as a mere passenger.

Yeah I agree with that. The small airlines do often provide a good service. Alot of their customers are often the same people and can end up on first name terms with staff members. I watched a good program recently on suckling airways which showed this to be the case.

I'm gonna be really unpopular with saying this but im only bringing it up because its already been mentioned on here.. and in addition it reminded me of a discussion I had with a fellow pilot a few years ago. I dont believe IFE (Inflight Entertainment) is necessary, however it is an added luxary. I say this because i've done coach trips of over 11hrs 30mins and had no entertainment. I had to provide my own. I discussed this with a pilot friend of mine who agreed and mentioned going on a 25hr coach trip with no entertainment either. The addition of IFE is just a luxary with the purpose of out doing the competition in service as a means to gain more customers. The primary use for an aeroplane is to fly passengers from one place to another. Over the years though airlines have come up with crazy ideas, like when the A380 came out some airlines were saying they'd have a gym onboard, showers etc. Of course all this is additional weight, not needed and simply a luxary.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 am

captain_flynn wrote:I'm gonna be really unpopular with saying this but im only bringing it up because its already been mentioned on here.. and in addition it reminded me of a discussion I had with a fellow pilot a few years ago. I dont believe IFE (Inflight Entertainment) is necessary, however it is an added luxary. I say this because i've done coach trips of over 11hrs 30mins and had no entertainment. I had to provide my own. I discussed this with a pilot friend of mine who agreed and mentioned going on a 25hr coach trip with no entertainment either. The addition of IFE is just a luxary with the purpose of out doing the competition in service as a means to gain more customers. The primary use for an aeroplane is to fly passengers from one place to another. Over the years though airlines have come up with crazy ideas, like when the A380 came out some airlines were saying they'd have a gym onboard, showers etc. Of course all this is additional weight, not needed and simply a luxary.

I agree with you, it's not a necessity, it's a luxury. I went to France on a bus and we had no entertainment then and it was fine. I also agree it's competition really; although I wouldn't pay any extra to fly with someone who had more TV's or better films. If there is something on I will watch it but I like watching out the window :oops:, it's enterntainment enough for me. Last year was the first time I've not been on holiday and had a window or middle seat (both of which you can see out of), me and my bf both had aisle seats where you can't see out :(.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:25 pm

lilmissespana wrote: British Airways to LAX were BRILLIANT as well - always checked to see if you were comfy! !

but LAX is a rubbish airport - don't you agree ?

I was so looking forward to my 8 hour stop over at a world class airport - how wrong could I have been

As previously mentiond Hawaiian airlines for me. Great comfy seats, really nice people and a fantastic service. Also real flower necklace (leis) at the airport - nice touch
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:28 pm

I like the sound of the leis Bel Bel - that would make me smile :)

Re: the in-flight entertainment... I don't think it's necessary (I have been on a coach all the way to Prague etc. without any provided entertainment) but there's no harm in it being there. If people can afford such luxuries, then why not?! I'm sure it makes long flights more bearable! Captain, I know you said the primary use for an aeroplane is to fly passengers from one place to another, and whilst I agree, on commercial flights most of the passengers are going on holiday, so they want their whole experience (including the travel) to be as fun as possible!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Dipsy I prefer to lookout of the window too, mind you though (having only been a passenger once) I always have to lookout the window anyway as part of traffic seperation and navigation anyway.

Ragdoll,
I agree with what you're saying about passengers wanting it to be a good all round experience. I dont disagree at all but I was just saying that even with that fact the IFE is still not really needed. As people have stated they've gone on holidays in coaches which have the same principle but take longer and have no entertainment. Flying on aircraft with IFE is a luxary. However just like dipsy I prefer looking out of the window.

I wonder how much weight IFE adds to the aircraft and how that effects fuel efficiency. I would imagine it would be a slightly significant amount.

Mind you though for me flying is different. I fly as pilot most of the time, however, when it comes to being a passenger I actually have my own preferential list as to the type of planes I want to fly on.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:55 pm

well im off to menorca on wednesday morning,6am! I was just wondering,is it true that you can listen to an ipod once you are up in the air and it only has to be off for take off and landing?
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Thats right Kerrie, nothing electronic can be on during take off and landing but once the seat belt signs are off you can turn it all on.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 pm

ok I was told that but wondered how it makes a difference?
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 pm

I don't think it does make a difference (I've watched a scientific programme on it before haha) but basically they don't want anything turned on "just in case"; it's better to be safe than sorry really. Although when I was coming back from Aberdeen on the plane the guy behind sat and talked on his mobile; I swear I'd have gotten up and slapped him, he could have at least not answered it and played the innocent "I didn't realise I'd left it on" card. GRRRRRRRR
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat