Birthday ideas

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Birthday ideas

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Well it's mine next week; I'm wondering could anyone suggest anything to do?

I never do anything EVER. I've been out clubbing twice for it and since I've invited different groups of friends they've all been anti-social and ruined the night so I don't want to do it again. Plus they'd all follow one of my friends leads anyway - he's popular so everyone wants to tag along with him to be popular by association as well (it's just sheep in reality).

Last year was a bit rubbish; my dad was at work until 10pm so it's not like we could do anything as a family; my bf came over and since my mam doesn't like him she refused for some reason to buy his meal - I'd asked for a takeaway; she said she'd pay for me but not for him (she was throwing a strop) so I said it didn't matter, I'd pay for it myself; so it ruined the night. Then she said I'll have to get extra curry sauce, I said just take a bit from my bf's meal cos he doesn't have it all anyway, again she threw a strop saying he's so greedy...she does act like a spoilt brat at times. Yes he eats a lot but since he always wastes the sauce I didn't see the problem in her having it, because I normally have the sauce anyway. So she sat and sulked all night.

I guarantee something stupid and petty happens every year so the day gets ruined, so I'm now actually getting quite upset about it happening.

This year my dad was supposed to finish work at 3pm, but he's swapped shifts so he won't be in until 9pm - you can't start doing anything then, then on Saturday (the day after) they (parents) normally go to the club with my aunty and uncle; it's my aunties birthday the day after mine. I said to my mam that it was ok, they didn't not need to go to the club. I'm just fed up of being told "we'll do this" and then something happens so we just end up sitting at home or getting the night ruined.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of treating myself to a day trip somewhere (i.e. on the Train) does anyone have any recommendations?

Hmm, the post makes me sound a bit like a spoilt brat. It's just we rarely do anything because of my dad's working shifts, and it was only last week that I was told he'd swapped.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Birthday ideas

Postby m_m » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm

I have removed this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Is there a show or band on that you could get tickets for? I arranged to go to Download festival this year for my birthday, and it was pretty cool. Booking a day at a spa might be a really good idea, if you could get a close friend or someone to go with you. My sister has booked us into a posh hotel for a luxury pampering day and it sounds really nice.

It sounds really difficult for your birthdays- I have had similar problems- so this year we are having a joint birthday/father'sday celebration. (edit :I clicked submit too early)
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Well I'm at work on my b.day, but ideas of things to do at the weekend are still good.

I'd half fancy ice skating, but I'd like someone to "treat" me. My parent's wouldn't go, my dad will be busy on the Saturday anyway. My friends wouldn't be interested and by bf wouldn't could afford it. Plus I think there are matches on a weekend so it's closed for most of the day - but I'll check that out. The "local" Zoo is Edinburgh, 1.5 hour train ride plus 30mins on the bus; plus we only went last year. I've been to most of hte local cities this year, I can go further afield though.

A spa day might be an option; I've never been before cos I always think I'll feel like an idiot when I'm there.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm

alicat wrote:Is there a show or band on that you could get tickets for? I arranged to go to Download festival this year for my birthday, and it was pretty cool. Booking a day at a spa might be a really good idea, if you could get a close friend or someone to go with you. My sister has booked us into a posh hotel for a luxury pampering day and it sounds really nice.

On a side note, how was Download? Did the weather hold up? My bf's flatmate went but after it rained (Friday or something), so he went prepared.

For a spar: all my close friends are male and the female I would take, wouldn't be up for it. I could take my mam I suppose.

I've looked at shows and bands. We have two theatres and loads of music venues but there is nothing on; there is at one theatre but I'd only be going to see it just because it was on and not because I really wanted to.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, but I think going with a friend and having a giggle at being wrapped like a mummy in bandages, or whatever odd treatments you can get might be fun. http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertai ... TID=105632 is a list of spa days.

What about a trip to the cinema if there is anything out you want to watch? or get someone to try snowboarding at a dry slope or the indoor ones? You said you were interested, maybe see if people could get you a taster session.

Download was really good, I didn't camp- really not for me, so stayed in a hotel in derby. The weather was amazingly hot and sunny. I got heatstroke on the sunday. There were loads of people who were sunburnt really badly- there was no shade, and all the weather channels predicted huge amounts of rain.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:49 pm

My friend always goes to Download and she always swears it has beautiful weather.

The snowboarding/ski-ing places only do "lessons" in the winter, you can't go on the slope unless you have passed some exam *boo*.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:59 pm

http://www.swadlincoteskislope.co.uk/

Not sure if it is very close to you, but they don't say anything about times that they do lessons, so might be worth contacting them?

Yeah this was my first year at download, but I heard that the weather has always been beautiful.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Glad you enjoyed it then Alicat; I don't know if my friend went this year, her bf has just had an operation so I don't know if she'd have made it; I'll have to ask when I next speak to her.

That ski place was a bit far (3 hour drive) but thank you anyway :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Ooh it is a bit far.

Yeh I was pleased, it didn't go as smoothly as I hoped because of my bf and my sister and her mate, but it was good to see the bands.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Who was playing?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Try not to put so much pressure on for yourself for your birthday ... if you're anything like me, you feel like you HAVE to have an amazing time at somewhere absolutely wicked when in fact it's the atmosphere that makes it, no matter where you are :) If you don't mind me asking, is it a 'landmark' birthday? For my 21st - 24th birthdays I went all out and arranged clubs in London but the atmosphere at my locals where people just turn up for me (you tend to get a good crowd on your birthday as well) and I've been pretty chilled about it have always been the best nights. Are there any karaoke nights near you, for example? They're always a good laugh and if the compere knows it's your birthday, you may get a few more songs in than everyone else :wink: That's just one idea, anyway - not sure what's in your vicinity. I guess I'm pretty lucky as I'm a London gal!

Remember - it's YOUR birthday and you shouldn't spend time worrying if others don't turn up or leave early - the people that stay and do what YOU want will make it.

x

(PS> Please could we leave Download talk to the Gigs thread? I heard it was amazing, though - loads of my friends went!)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 am

lilmissespana wrote:if you're anything like me, you feel like you HAVE to have an amazing time

I don't. It just always gets forgotten about or brushed under the carpet.

School friends used to foget because it was in the middle of exams, I had my final Physics A-level exam a day after my 18th :(. Ditto for uni friends; plus we'd broken up by then.

I'd just like to do something nice, nothing special just something enjoyable.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 am

Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Faith No More, and a lot others that I didn't manage to see.

I know how you feel, my family are pretty good at remembering it, but my birthday was always during exams, and I had an exam on my birthday pretty much every year.

Has your boyfriend come up with any ideas?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:20 am

He's the worst ever for thinking of things so no. Plus we won't can go out unless I pay because he's jobless as of Friday.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat