Abortions

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Abortions

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:21 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1196084/Girls-young-12-regularly-having-abortions-government-figures-show.html

OMG is all I can say to this!

It says some teenagers have had 4 abortions by the time they are 18 and "46 women who had terminated at least eight pregnancies"

You'd think they'd learn after the first or second, even third one but clearly not!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Abortions

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:29 pm

I agree that it's shocking, but there's a need to keep this in context, even the headline says:

"Abortion shock as figures show DOZENS of under 14s are regularly having terminations".

... Dozens is relatively few people!

I personally don't like papers such as the Daily Mail as they love to sensationalize things.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:50 pm

I think its a real shame that women (and girls) feel that they can do this so easily,i think a lot of them use it as some sort of contraception.There is so much you can do not to get pregnant,an accident fair enough,but having 3,4 or up to 8 abortions is just plain stupidity.Do these women know it can really mess up their bodies for if they ever did want kids.I find it really sad that abortion is so freely available these days,and young girls dont even have to tell there parents if they go for one,it seems like an easy way out to me.Obviously there are many exceptions,and im not saying all women who get pregnant in the wrong circumstances have to keep their unwanted child but when it gets to that amount i think its just plain irresponsible.Sorry but i have very strong views on this.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm

I do partly agree with you on this one Kerrie and understand your views, but I also think it's irresponsible when people who aren't capable of raising a child (for whatever reason - for example, that they're way too young) have them anyway. It's not exactly giving the child the best start in life.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Yeah,i know thats what i meant by the exceptions,people who have came to the hard decision as they feel it is the only choice they have.People who just dont care about contraception cos they can just have an abortion if the inevitible happens,they are the ones who wind me up.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:48 pm

I agree with Kerrie, you would think they'd learn. The bad thing is that condoms are FREE at family planning clinics and the pill is FREE if you speak to a doctor or visit a family planning clinic...it's not like they have excuses really.

As Kerrie said fair enough an accident as we know it is still possible to become pregnant whilst using contraception; however there are so many accidents you can have before you learn your lesson.

I don't think abortions should be given out so freely, after 2 abortions (exceptions for ones because of health) they should take the person to one side and try to educate them on contraception and ways to prevent pregnancy.

I bet it's all kids that have heard "you don't get pregnant doing it in X position, you don't get pregnant on your first time, I don't agree with condoms" etc...
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 pm

kerrie24 wrote:Yeah,i know thats what i meant by the exceptions,people who have came to the hard decision as they feel it is the only choice they have.People who just dont care about contraception cos they can just have an abortion if the inevitible happens,they are the ones who wind me up.

These are also the people I had in mind when I posted it.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 pm

They should stop being so casual about sex and take it more seriously. They should also take precautions and contraception alot more seriously too.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Totally agree that people should be more careful and that it's ridiculous when you can get contraceptives for free etc. but we're talking about after that point, when people are already pregnant. Once you've got to that point you've got to make a decision and I don't think abortion is necessarily the easy way out - but I do think that sometimes it's probably the better option.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:49 pm

We're not really talking about after only, because if you can prevent then the 'after' shouldnt happen. ;)

So if people stopped being so casual, if people used contraception and took all this seriously instead of a game then the abortion rates would probably go down.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Multiple unplanned pregnancies and abortions is not irresponsibility: it's a form of self-harm. People in this situation do not need education, they need counselling.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Is that a fact or opinion? Its a genuine question by the way, because I wondered in conjunction with that if its attention seeking too.

I still think there is partial irresponsibility about it though.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Well, it's hard to say really, Captain. I know from my own experience that counsellors/psychiatrists classify it this way, so in that sense it's a fact. But to be honest it's obvious if you think about it. This is why these people don't "learn" - learning isn't the issue.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks very much for the informative reply.
Why would someone use sex/pregnancy as a form of self harm?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 pm

It wouldn't be on a conscious level at all. The reasons would be complex, and connected with the person's own circumstances and mental/emotional history.

But since contraception is, as a rule, easy, painless and largely free, and abortions are painful, time-consuming, traumatic, and physically damaging, it's clear that someone who repeatedly puts themselves through that is not simply being careless.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chit Chat