Whats your opinion?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Whats your opinion?

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 am

I was looking at another forum and saw this..

Demands for an end to smoking in all enclosed public places across the European Union were yesterday branded the work of "puritanical dictators".

The EU Commission wants EU governments to complete the ban by 2012 to protect citizens from "second-hand" smoke.

EU Health Commissioner Androulla Vassiliou said: "It is my firm belief that each and every European merits full protection from tobacco smoke. There is a wave of support from the general public, and we will work with member states to make this a reality."

At the moment the UK and Ireland have the strictest smoke-free provisions, with a complete smoking ban in enclosed public places, on public transport and in offices.

Bulgaria is expected to follow next year, and a total of 10 EU countries now have comprehensive anti-smoking policies.

The Commission says more should be done, not just to save smokers from themselves, but to safeguard those at risk of passive smoking.

But UK Independence Party Euro-MP Godfrey Bloom said: "Part of our culture is under threat and today is the time to say enough is enough.

"These jumped up puritanical dictators must be told where to get off. Nobody pretends that smoking is a good thing, but it is legal".

The Euro-MP for Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire added: "These bullies seem to have no truck with freedom, liberty or tolerance. Well in that case we shall have to take it back.

"And if that means a certain level of disobedience, well, so be it."

I seem to recall hearing on tv that they dont want smokers smoking outside now aswell.

Those who have been members here for a long time will know my take on the subject and for those who are new heres my take on it. I look at smoking and drugs in the same context that they are both harmful and stupid. I dont understand why people smoke and I think its ridiculous when people class themselves as a 'social cigarette or weed smoker' It makes no difference what kind of smoker one may class themself as, its still dangerous and pretty inane at a time when we now know the serious problems it can cause. So in a way i'm kind of for banning it fully. Although I do understand that some people find it difficult to give up, but as someone who grew up with asthma I find it difficult to understand why someone would risk their lungs and their life anyway.

So whats your opinion on the article i've quoted above?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Whats your opinion?

Postby LME79 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:09 am

I'm a non smoker and was (am) fully in support of the smoking ban in public places as it made me cough and my hair/clothes stink, not to mention getting burnt, albeit accidentally, if out dancing.

I do, however, think that banning it completely is going a little far as although everyone is aware of the dangers of smoking, it is their choice. I sit in pub gardens in the summer, obviously, and other peoples' smoke has very very very little impact on me, if any (for the record, I also have asthma). If people smoke, they smoke. I don't think they're stupid or idiotic as it's their choice. I'm glad it's not indoors as that affected everyone but outside - it's up to them. If they take it one step further and ban it outside it'd be an infringment on civil liberties, in my opinion. I don't agree with the part of the article that says part of our culture is under threat - yeah, great culture - but I do agree with him in the sense that smoking is legal and that we are not a dictatorship. I know the article doesn't say it, but making smoking illegal wouldn't make sense - firstly, cigs are heavily taxed so they'd have to make up the shortfall somehow that affects everyone and not just smokers and secondly, making it illegal won't stop people from smoking, it'd just go underground and make it impossible to control. PEople in Britain are educated about the dangers of smoking, unless they've been under a rock, but they DO have a choice.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:11 am

Yeah I agree with lilmissespana, pretty much word for word.

I'm all for smoking being banned inside, ughhh I remember getting home after a night out and your clothes smell of cigarettes, your hair, your bag, all your stuff... ughhhhhhhhhhhh. But outside, I think it's peoples own choice, you dont have to stand near them and so long as theyre not blowing smoke in my face I have no issue with it.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:52 am

I agree with lilmissespana and Rufio.

I used to smoke, but I still agreed with banning smoking indoors as I could understand why it wasn’t fair on non-smokers. It’s also been a good thing for me as it was the ban that finally made me decide to quit.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:15 am

I'm a smoker! And i think this is ridiculous to a certain extent.

I can live with going outside for a ciggie, I do that anway! The weather is to nice to sit inside to have a ciggie! It's a pain in the bum in the winter, hence why i smoke less around that time of year.

But they are seriously considering banning it outside altogether? Where the hell am i supposed to smoke???
Next i wont be able to smoke in MY OWN home that i bought and paid for. Or my car that i paid for and pay to run.

Give it a couple of years and you'll all be paying to breathe!!!! £2.50 for each breath in and out.

There is something seriously wrong with this country and the government need to get thier heads out of other people's bums.

Now if you all can excuse me, i've worked myself up and i'm going outside for a ciggie. Lol. :lol:
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 am

lol It's okkkk LemonJuice. I'm pretty sure it wont happen. lol. Callllllm
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:39 am

Lol, that made me giggle. Caaallllmm.

Breathe.....1....£2.50......£3.40......£4.80.......£5.00. :lol: :lol:

I'm calm now. :D
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby spacegirl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 am

did you enjoy your cig lemonjuice ;)

smoking personally doesn't bother me - i'm of the opinion that people can do whatever they want to their bodies, as long as they're not harming anyone else and causing a threat to society or anything like that by using hard drugs or whatever, and the smoking ban has reduced passive smoking greatly. some people really enjoy smoking, the same way people enjoy a drink or enjoy sugary foods (i am aware that smoking is more dangerous than sugary foods) - might not be good for you but it's up to them. people that smoke weed don't bother me either. i don't smoke it myself, but i don't see why it needs to be illegal. the argument that soft drugs lead to hard drugs is contradicted by the fact that users have to go through dodgy dealers to get their cannabis, which is giving them direct access to harder drugs like coke and ecstacy - i've seen this happen several times.

there's absolutely no way they could enforce a smoking ban outside, they'd pretty much have to make tobacco an illegal drug - and let's face it, that's not going to happen. also, the govt makes too much money from these taxes they keep putting on cigarettes supposedly to deter people from buying cigs.

I really welcomed the smoking ban though cos i was sick of coming home from nights out reeking of stale smoke, and having all my lovely clothes smelling of smoke too - and someone made a point of being burnt on the dancefloor, i don't miss that!!! although does anyone else find that the best banter is always outside in the smoking area lol?
i almost died when i realised they'd enforced the smoking ban in france, of all the countries in the world, the frenchies were the last nation i could imagine huddling out in the cold having a smoke.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Hey space girl I understand your views and I agree that everyone has a choice and what not, but I think thats slightly hard to disgest if you have a friend or relative die of lung cancer or pass away due to drug usage.

Interesting views on this topic though. I'd love it if smoking was banned. My nan always sends me to buy her cigs for her and I find it embarressing having to ask for them, I dont like being thought of as a smoker.

And what do I have to do when I get off here in 5mins? Thats right, go and buy the cancer sticks for my nan.. :roll:
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I am totally with you on this space girl

unless you eat or drink nothing harmful you don't have the right to call someone stupid for smoking. Drinking can cause serious illness and death but becasue it's legal that doesn't make it better than smoking

plenty of things can kill you thyat are suppossed to be good for you, excercise in excess for instance

i believe everything in moderation is ok with the exception of hardcore drugs that will get you hooked almost instantly (like crack) and cause you to go down the path of crime
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:58 pm

There have been lots of studies which show that alot of people develop cancer when they stop smoking after years of heavy smoking.
My father in law has been given a few months to live. He gave up 40 a day 5 years ago. He has a tumour on his lung!!!!!They reckon cutting down is actually better than completely stopping, especially stopping abruptly.
WHo really knows
Plenty of people die of lung cancer who never smoke too
Yes i believe smoking can increase the risk or maybe bring it on earlier than you might of otherwise got it

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Yeah I understand. I suppose those who dont smoke and die of lung cancer got it via passive smoking possibly.

I'm not overly fussed. As I said previously as someone who was born with asthma I find it a little crass that someone should take such a risk to put their health at risk but then again I suppose some people dont stop and think first.

I suppose im pretty horrible by the fact that I dont care when I hear on tv that X amount of smokers or druggies die because of their habit. Its all part of the risk and they should know that.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:08 am

I suppose those who dont smoke and die of lung cancer got it via passive smoking possibly.

There's plenty of other things that can increase your chances of lung cancer...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 am

Very true Ruth

Exposure to radon gas
Exposure to certain chemicals
Air pollution
Previous lung disease
A family history of lung cancer
Past cancer treatment
Lowered immunity

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby spacegirl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:53 pm

That would be difficult if i knew someone who had died due to drug use or lung cancer, i'm fortunate that i don't but maybe my views would change if i was in that situation. however i was just wondering, you said you don't care when you hear on tv that people have died due to smoking or drug abuse, surely you wouldn't be in the same position if it's someone you knew?

Yes it is a risk and i do accept that people are putting their health at risk when they smoke, which is why i don't - but again, it's their risk to take. bel bel's right, plenty of things can kill you whether they're legal or not. extreme sports for example. smoking has a taboo attached to it because a lot of people don't like it and cannabis is illegal, but people are willing to overlook risks associated with other things because they're not offensive.

I suppose all i'm trying to say is that people have the right to live their lives as they want, as long as they're harming no-one else, and banning smoking altogether would be one step too far in this "nanny nation". People make a conscious decision to start smoking, and there is plenty of help available if they want to stop, so i don't really think it's anyone's place to make that decision for them.

i love a healthy debate lol. there have been quite a few on pp recently!
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Chit Chat