Your rights to children

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Your rights to children

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:12 pm

That is true Kerrie, not having kids I think I'd like to do it myself rather than passing it over. However I'd be interested to hear from a guy!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:17 pm

well my bf has seen me give birth and i dont think he would be in a rush to volunteer!
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Well, so far no male PPers have volunteered... :lol:

Also, what about women who have babies in their 60s, because it's their "right", and because modern medicine makes it possible?

Sorry, but it's just wrong! :-?
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:45 pm

peecee wrote:Also, what about women who have babies in their 60s, because it's their "right", and because modern medicine makes it possible?

I completely agree with you! I think it is utter selfishness. Just because you want one, doesn't mean you should have one.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeh, it's funny you bring that one up Peecee - just been for lunch with a friend and she was saying a woman of 72 (I think she's 72, definitely in her 70s anyway) is trying to get pregnant. Apparently she was on GMTV this morning. That is absolutely ridiculous and one of the most selfish things I've heard of!!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Well did nobody watch the worlds oldest mothers on telly last night? Really wrong I think,bringing a baby into the world when it could be orphaned by the time its like 10!I know it could be argued that a 30 year old mother could die unexpectedly within ten years,but deliberatly having a child at that age you know your not gonna be around for long.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Yeh, I don't think the argument that anyone could die at any time flys really. Ok, that's true, but the fact is, if you're elderly you're LIKELY to die sometime soon(ish).

It's just selfish. Apparently the GMTV woman was saying she's always wanted children but hadn't got around to it as she concentrated on her career etc. If it was that important to her, why didn't she put having kids first?! And if she desperately feels the need to have children in her life, couldn't she foster or something?!

I didn't see that Kerrie.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:41 pm

I personally wouldnt want to give birth to a baby. Its natural for women to do it, not men.

I dont like the idea of playing with this sort of thing, women give birth to babies and obviously are equipped well enough to have a baby grow inside them. Sometimes there are things science should leave alone and this is one of them things.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Actually, I was thinking about something related to pregnancy the other day.

I was reading somewhere that pregnant women are more likely to get swine flu because they're immune system is naturally depleted whilst pregnant. I know it sounds like a strange notion, but is that because the baby is in affect an 'alien' object inside the Mother's body and the body actually lowers the immune system so that the Mother's body doesn't 'reject' the baby?

I'm just thinking that the drugs people take when they have had heart transplants etc. actually lower the immune system so that the body doesn't reject the foreign body part/organ etc. Do you reckon the lowered immune system during pregnany serves a similar purpose?! Just a thought!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:59 pm

captain_flynn wrote:I personally wouldnt want to give birth to a baby. Its natural for women to do it, not men.

I dont like the idea of playing with this sort of thing, women give birth to babies and obviously are equipped well enough to have a baby grow inside them. Sometimes there are things science should leave alone and this is one of them things.

I wasn't meaning like you GM a baby in you. It was more if we both could have babies, would you volunteer it?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Scientifically it sounds feasible ragdoll. In reality I don't know. You are probably right because some pregnant woman have a reaction to their childs blood and stuff.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 pm

No I wouldnt.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

RagDoll wrote:I was reading somewhere that pregnant women are more likely to get swine flu because they're immune system is naturally depleted whilst pregnant. I know it sounds like a strange notion, but is that because the baby is in affect an 'alien' object inside the Mother's body and the body actually lowers the immune system so that the Mother's body doesn't 'reject' the baby?

No: the reasons why the baby is not attacked by the female immune system are not completely understood, but the mother and child only come into contact through the placental tissues, and the cells here have special attributes so that they don't provoke an immune response (they lack certain molecules on their surfaces). I believe the woman's overall immune system is affected simply because her body is undergoing a lot of changes and stress during pregnancy, in the same way other organs can be affected. Infection is the main threat to any animal, so if the immune system had to be severely compromised in order to tolerate a baby, pregnancy could not have evolved.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:50 am

Interesting question, I wish we had more of these!

My personal feelings are that I wouldn't want to go through the process of having a baby myself, as magical as it is, i'd rather leave that to a willing female partner.

Having said that, going to work might be a 'cop out' for some (maybe most) men, but I for one would far rather have stayed at home and been with my son when he was born. Time as a baby is time you'll never get back, and having to go to work all day and losing out on that time is a real shame.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 am

ILoveChristmas wrote:Having said that, going to work might be a 'cop out' for some (maybe most) men, but I for one would far rather have stayed at home and been with my son when he was born. Time as a baby is time you'll never get back, and having to go to work all day and losing out on that time is a real shame.

I agree!!!!!!!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat