Families

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Families

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am

I thought I'd create a thread about families after the recent relevation of Captain_Flynns sister. I can normally guess about people having siblings but I didn't guess that.

I'll start. I'm an only child. My family consists of my parents, and two aunties and two uncles (my mam was an only child too). My oldest uncle has no kids and my middle uncle (dad is the youngest) has 3 boys. So I have 3 cousins...they are 40, 38 and coming up to 36. We aren't very close as they've all moved away. They all have kids, my oldest cousin has 2 kids (under the age of 10), my middle cousin has 2 kids - one is a teenager...my little cousin has one daughter. No one in the family is close which is a shame. My middle aunty and uncle live a few miles away and we see them often. My oldest uncle lives in Canada and has done since he was about 20 (he's 71 now - older than a lot of peoples grand parents!!!), my oldest uncle managed to almost get himself kicked out of the family by arranging a family get together when they were over a few years ago, the meal was supposed to be with the 3 of us (he doesn't get on with the middle uncle) and my aunties family....they then phoned and said "they think it's best Dipsy doesn't come...because there are no young people in the family" - DUH, I'm the youngest by years!!! So they basically uninvited me...my dad said if you won't accept Dipsy then tough, we aren't coming. So my own family didn't want me. My parents told the middle aunty and uncle and they like the others even less now. I'm sorry you don't arrange for a famliy reunion and then say "sorry but your only daughter, my only niece can't come, because we don't want her there so me made up a crappy excuse".
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Families

Postby Skarlet » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am

I am the youngest of five, two older sisters, a brother, and my twin sister (nonidentical). My mum is also one of five, although both her brothers died. We were all really close as cousins, there are 18 of us, and we all used to go to my nans at the weekends. This has obviously stopped due to us all being grown up. The youngest grandchild is now 17. There are also lots of great grandkids, and I have got to know most of them. We don't talk to my dads family, he and his twin were put in care at a young age, and so do not really know any of that side. His brother lives in the same town but they no longer speak really.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

I have an older brother and two younger half sisters
Us siblings range in age from 41 - 19.
My youngest sister is my daughters aunty and they are only 2 years different in age :lol:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 pm

haha Why does me having a sister shock you? :P
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm

To me you just seemed like an only child. Plus in posts people generally mention family and you never did. I suppose you said she was a half sister and lives in London and you don't, so it's different. But I was still suprised.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 pm

How did I seem like an only child? I'm quite curious.
I generally dont talk about my family very much but for clarification purposes - I live with my mum and my nan (mums mum) i've lived with them since I was born as my mum and dad broke up when I was a few months old. We used to have grandad living with us too but he died in 1996 which crushed me for many years. My dad lives in west London and I visit him quite a few times each year, my sister also lives in west london but lives with her mother. My sister is 16 and we get on really well - we have never argued and I always have my words of wisedom ready when she asks for them - funnily enough when an ex of mine left me a few years ago my sister was really there for me and only having been 13 at the time she spoke alot of sense. We do get on really well and often play jokes on dad :P
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm

I have a massive family,

I have 3 half-brothers and 3 half sisters (but Ive been raised as though theyre full siblings, and I certainly think of them that way).

Both my parents

1 Grandmother and 1 step-Grandmother.

4 uncles, 1 aunt (plus their respective partners, so 5 uncles, 5 aunts)

13 cousins

THEN

My sisters family (who are like family to me) - Their Dad, 2 aunts (plus husbands, so 2 uncles), 2 cousins (plus 1 husband and 1 wife), then their kids, so 4 (is it second cousins??)

The End.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm an only child, and a bit like Dipsy, a lot of my relatives are much older than me as my Mum is the youngest of four (my Uncle, the oldest of her siblings is in his 70s and old enough to be my Mum's Dad!). Actually, there is another likeness to Dipsy's family in the respect that I have an Uncle, Auntie and cousin that live in Canada. They have lived there all my life, but they were all born in England.

My Dad has a sister who he can't stand, so I don't have a relationship with her. My Dad's Mum is the only Grandparent of mine that I've ever known - my Mum's parents and my Dad's Dad all died before I was born. My Grandma is the only one from my Dad's family that I've had any sort of relationship with as his family aren't the nicest of people. My parents don't have a good relationship with my Grandma, but they've still seen a lot of her and done a lot for her over the years.

To be honest, except for my parents, I am not close to any of my family. I used to be close to my Grandma, but I have become more and more aware (since being a teenager and now an adult) how manipulative and nasty she can be. I get on well with my Mum's brothers and sisters, but for obvious reasons we don't see them very often.

That's my story :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 am

captainf wrote:How did I seem like an only child? I'm quite curious.

I don't know really, I suppose you mentioned in another post your dad left when you were quite young and from never talking about family I guess I just assumed.

RagDoll wrote:To be honest, except for my parents, I am not close to any of my family.

That is the same with me, it's quite sad really isn't it. That is why I've said I never want to move away from the North East. Where in Canada do your relatives live Ragdoll? Mine live in Ottowa - Toronto.

Edit: I should add I've done more with my boyfriends relatives than I think I've ever done with mine. His family are all really close. His mam is Portuguese and her brother moved over from Portugal and now lives down the road from them. His Gran still lives in Portgual but comes over for about 6 months a year.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Actually my mum left my dad. We lived with him for about the first 3 months or so of my life but they argued alot and then mum finished it and we moved in with my nan and grandad who lived in the same town. Mum never did go out with anyone else until a few years ago.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:45 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:That is the same with me, it's quite sad really isn't it. That is why I've said I never want to move away from the North East. Where in Canada do your relatives live Ragdoll? Mine live in Ottowa - Toronto.

I guess it is in a way, when I consider how it is in some peoples' families I sometimes think it is, but then again I don't feel I have any sort of hole in my life because of it. I am very close to my parents and that's enough for me really. I'm not implying it isn't for you, just saying how I feel about it :)

They live on Vancouver Island, in Calagary and soon to be around Shuswap Lake.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 am

Oh I don't mind either Ragdoll. It's just quite sad when I see the size and closeness of my bf's family. As you said I also have no hole missing, it doesn't bother me; it's more observation. But I guess if everyone was the same then it would be boring.

Oh Calgary, it's one of the major "oil cities" haha.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:32 pm

I have 2 brothers one sister.I am the oldest.Then there is my mam, dad,granma,nana and grandad,4 aunties and 4 uncles,8 cousins,6 second cousins plus my partners family and my own two kids.Up until 1998 I also had a great grandma who was born in 1900.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 pm

wow I thought my grandad was old at 98. Your great grandma is 109 :o :o
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Bel Bel I think Kerrie said her granma died in 1998.

98 is a great age Bel Bel...we have a neighbour in her early 90's she lives alone in a large 3 bed house, she can barely see and she's almost always running along the street. My dad's aunty survived until she was 91; otherwise everyone else went young :(
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat