Page 2 of 5

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 pm
by peecee
Heeheeeeee!!!! I can add a poll...:badgrin:

Thought about it when I saw the first query - what would you like it to say, Ragdoll?

* Do you think there's a North/South divide?
* do you prefer th2 North or South?
* Are people friendlier in the North or South?
* Are there more ice cream parlours in the North or the South?
* Do people have more shells in the South or North?

Or none of the above... :o :P

Over to you! :D

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:42 pm
by snail
Darn admins showing off again :evil: We all know mods are better than admins any day =;

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:42 am
by peecee
That's absolutely true! :P

So the poll should ask "is there a great North/South divide, and would you rather spend an evening in Snail's sitting-shell or the warm section of Pee's freezer..." :-k

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm
by Tarots
Hiya all..

I just saw this and had to reply.. :D

I originally come from Blackpool and left to move to Surrey 19yrs ago..

I live in a beautiful place in Richmond upon Thames, Yes its London but there is hardly any crime also we have the beautiful Hampton court palace, the river Thames and Bushy park all within walking distance, people think of London and automatically think crime and pollution from the built up aspect of it but it really does depend on where you go in London to how you find it.. like everywhere in the world no doubt :-k

I saw a reply from somebody saying about how northerners are more friendly and this is definiately true but after 19yrs I am used to southern attitudes now and once you get to know them they are very loyal friends :D.

Just thought I add that in lol

Take care Tarots x

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 am
by dipsydoodlenoodle
I agree Ragdoll that I also don't see Manchester as being in the North; since it's at least 3-3.5 hours drive South. But then there isn't much North from here.

sazzled wrote:dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
I see the South from my point of view as being too built up

So why is Kent called the "Garden of England" then?


You can't argue with an opinion; I clearly stated that it was "from MY point of view". Generalized. I've been to London and I've been walking on Dartmoor so I know it isn't all built up - but MY general thoughts are that it is built up.

captainf wrote:Never been to Scotland, no. I would like to fly there one day because I find the true beauty of the UK isnt on the ground but in the air.


You should definately go Flynn; I've been walking in far north...Inverness way, up Ben Nevis, Loch Ness...it's all very nice...although there is NOTHING there. I also go to Aberdeen with work on occasion and that is very built up; but as with most cities the further out you get the more countryside you get. It's a good flight from Newcastle to Aberdeen - you fly Newcastle to over Edinburgh and then the rest is over the North sea and on a clear day the approach into Aberdeen is quite nice; you fly in over the big cliffs. Although I can't say I've seen much of Aberdeen, I see Airport - taxi - offices and back or occasionally airport - taxi - offices - taxi - hotel - taxi - offices - taxi - airport. Some areas obviously look nicer than others - from what I have seen there does seem to be an excess of Churches.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 am
by RagDoll
Just picking up on Captain's point about the London tube - I know it's overcrowded, but I've been on public transport in the north which is just about as bad (I'm mostly thinking of Newcastle's metro in rush hour) and people still smile and talk to one another. There's something really miserable about London's underground.

Just for clarity, I don't actually dislike London (or think it's the only place in the south - my boyfriend was brought up in Norwich for a start, plus some of my family live in the south...), I think it's a really interesting city, with lots to offer, but I wouldn't want to live there. I also stand by the fact that in my experience, northerners are more friendly than southerners :)

Peecee, those questions would be great in a poll, thanks :D Perhaps you could miss off the bottom two though... hehe.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 am
by dipsydoodlenoodle
Tarots wrote:I saw a reply from somebody saying about how northerners are more friendly and this is definiately true but after 19yrs I am used to southern attitudes now and once you get to know them they are very loyal friends :D.


I've just remembered I read something years ago about airline staff - they preferred flying to the North than the South as apparently they got more tips - how true it is I don't know I just seem to remember reading it years ago.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:55 am
by earthchild
just my tuppence worth :)

Does the news unnecessarily pick on the north? (or south?)
to be honest i have never really seen any derogatory news that specifically picks on eiher the north or south, im obviously missing something!

do you feel a strong identity to the particular region or end of the UK you live in?
no not really, i never really think about being a 'southerner', i have to say that most of the people i have met from up north have a very strong identity about being a northerner. In my opinion having such strong feelings about being from somewhere almost creates a divide itself.

however I dont really look at the whole 'north/south' divide stuff, I think its rubbish because in order to really enjoy being somewhere you have to take it for what it is.
have to strongly agree with the Captain on this one

why is Kent called the "Garden of England" then?
have no clue!! personally i think the Garden of England should be somewhere like the lake district.

We have some good banter about northerners and southerners - all of it really good natured (e.g. southerners feeling the cold).
yeah the banter can be light hearted and fun, northerns are always going on about how much more they can drink and how Southerners are 'southern softies' who cant take the cold!

As for London being an unfriendly place, not sure I really agree
have mixed opinions about this comment really, walking around in london i can see why people would think that, we are always rushing round and pushing people to get around and everyone does have a sense of self-importance however when settled in a pub i have seen people here relax and strike up conversations and have a good laugh with people they dont know.. also london is filled with tourist so i think its quite a hard to gauge.

I've been on public transport in the north which is just about as bad (I'm mostly thinking of Newcastle's metro in rush hour) and people still smile and talk to one another.
its hard to talk to people when you are standing under their armpit or sitting down with someones bum in your face!! most people read on the tube.

but bottom line for me, notherners are friendly lovely people and have truely amazing landscapes to admire where they live.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:12 pm
by dipsydoodlenoodle
earthchild wrote:We have some good banter about northerners and southerners - all of it really good natured (e.g. southerners feeling the cold).
yeah the banter can be light hearted and fun, northerns are always going on about how much more they can drink and how Southerners are 'southern softies' who cant take the cold!


haha a lot of the time that is the chav's. I certainly can't drink that much and I ALWAYS feel the cold haha. My friends from uni (from India and Nigeria) used to take the p out of me ALL the time because in winter I'd have a HUGE coat and massive scarf wrapped around me and I'd still be cold - when they would be walking around in t-shirts in the snow - a funny story one of my indian friends asked me how to put gloves on because he'd never worn them before - he was around 25 at the time; he was also telling me that the jacket he was wearing was the first coat he'd ever bought too. To be honest I'm freezing now - my thermometer "thinks" it's 23.5 degrees (so give or take) - I get breeze from a window but the point is; I'm wearing jumper, a long sleeved t-shirt and a vest top and I'm a bit chilly. My boyfriends mam laughs at me because I feel the cold so much; I admit when I was younger I used to go on nights out and wear a small skirt and a strappy top or something in winter; but one of my friends always wore a coat; so I thought if she is; I will, we used to stand in queues at night in winter warm in our coats laughing at the "kids" in their tiny clothes...oh another funny story; we had Norwegians over when we were in school and we were on the bus into town; one of the Norwegians (girls) said in a very loud voice "why do girls here go out naked at nights?" - she meant in very little clothing.
earthchild wrote: notherners are friendly lovely people and have truely amazing landscapes.


earthchild wrote:Does the news unnecessarily pick on the north? (or south?)
to be honest i have never really seen any derogatory news that specifically picks on eiher the north or south, im obviously missing something!


Commedians do ALL the time - but to be honest I think the "Northern accent" knocks about 50 points of your IQ because you sound stupid. Ok I'm not "up" on accents from the south but to me (from friends) they always sound nicer and "more educated".

earthchild wrote:but bottom line for me, notherners are friendly lovely people and have truely amazing landscapes


When do you want paid for that earthchild? hehe

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 pm
by earthchild
dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:When do you want paid for that earthchild? hehe


:lol:

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote: to be honest I think the "Northern accent" knocks about 50 points of your IQ because you sound stupid.

really? i loooove accents, esp the geordie and liverpudlian accents..
dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Ok I'm not "up" on accents from the south but to me (from friends) they always sound nicer and "more educated".

or stuck up and snobby :o that is one thing that really bugs me about living in london, people always think you have a bit of money!! we have rundown council estates here too!!

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:one of my indian friends asked me how to put gloves on because he'd never worn them before

that is funny!

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm
by RagDoll
"its hard to talk to people when you are standing under their armpit or sitting down with someones bum in your face!! most people read on the tube."

What I'm saying though, is that I've seen public transport as busy at that in the north, but people still smile and stuff... on the tube in London nearly everyone looks miserable.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:19 pm
by dipsydoodlenoodle
earthchild wrote:
dipsydoodlenoodle wrote: to be honest I think the "Northern accent" knocks about 50 points of your IQ because you sound stupid.

really? i loooove accents, esp the geordie and liverpudlian accents../quote]

I HATE the liverpudlian accent; my boss is from Liverpool, when we go to Aberdeen one of the blokes we work with is from Liverpool as well.

earthchild wrote:
dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Ok I'm not "up" on accents from the south but to me (from friends) they always sound nicer and "more educated".

or stuck up and snobby :o that is one thing that really bugs me about living in london, people always think you have a bit of money!! we have rundown council estates here too!!


I have a friend from Landan (as she says because she think she sounds cute) - she is VERY stuck up and snobby. Although they are from a single parent family her dad (who she doesn't live with) earns at least 5 figures a year salary. So they are VERY stuck up and snobby.

RagDoll wrote:"its hard to talk to people when you are standing under their armpit or sitting down with someones bum in your face!! most people read on the tube."

What I'm saying though, is that I've seen public transport as busy at that in the north, but people still smile and stuff... on the tube in London nearly everyone looks miserable.


When I went to Paris it was Tube busy but everyone was polite and well mannered...my french friend was suprised when I said everyone was polite.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm
by sazzled
captainf wrote:Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean now.

As for London being an unfriendly place, not sure I really agree, nor do I disagree to be honest. There are some people in London that are really nice, and then there are some right horrible people too, I imagine Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester.. are also like that.
The reason why no one smiles on the tube is because its over crowded and out dated.

I have family in Newcastle. They seem happy enough there.


I absolutely agree with Captainf! I'm sure I said this somewhere in this topic, there are nice and nasty people where ever you go, whether it be North, South or Central of the UK. Although I disagree with people saying that no one smiles on the tube. That's not true. I go on the tube in London alot and I smile!
I know people that grew up in the north but have then moved south, and vice versa!
I doubt very much that anyone commenting on here has been to every single place in the UK, that would be the only way to give the ultimate and fair review of the north and south and which is better.
In my experience, the most friendliest place I have ever been to is Brighton...which is along the South coast. I have also been to Portsmouth and Southampton and have found that they have been great places too. My grandparents used to live in Cheltenham, in the Midlands and the locals were always friendly there.

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:28 am
by captainf
The reason why alot of people in London appear unfriendly is due to how over congested and crowded London is. I have no doubt that newcastles transport suffer similar problems but the big difference between Newcastle and London is Population and theres a considerable difference between both cities. However as earthchild has stated, people from the south can be quite friendly when in a more relaxing situation.

Earthchild has pretty much summed up much of what I was going to say. Additionally, regarding the Lake District - gorgeous place. I once went to the LadyBower dam (for obvious reasons) and that area is beautiful! I definitely want to get some flying time over that area.

I think its just northerners who have this idea of a north/south divide because I have numerous friends in the north who seem to have this whole idea that the north and south is divided but all my friends in the south dont even talk of it. Interestingly a friend of mine from Manchester refers to people from the south with a rather regionalised made up derogitory word.

However im curious of the true definition of the north in this topic. Are we talking about Northern England, or the North of the UK which would be Scotland?

I've just remembered I read something years ago about airline staff - they preferred flying to the North than the South as apparently they got more tips - how true it is I don't know I just seem to remember reading it years ago.


Airline staff get tips? First i've heard of that.
I guess they also preferred the northern airports more because they are nowhere near as busy as the southern airports and therefore delays aren't as bad. Its easier to land at Newcastle on time than to land at Heathrow on time. ;)

Re: North/South Divide?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 am
by RagDoll
Perhaps, generally speaking, people in the north feel there is more of a north/south divide and feel very 'northern' because economically there is a divide. Obviously the north (and north east in particular) was hit very hard when big industries such as ship building etc. started to disappear, which left a lot of people unemployed. Although I think we have bridged the gap a bit, we've still got higher unemployment rates etc. etc. than the south.

From my point of view, I was referring to the north of England, but obviously I am happy for any scottish people to join in the chat/debate :)

I agree that the Lake District is absolutely stunning Captain :D I have just been and posted some photos in the general photography thread if you're interested :)