Terms of Endearment...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Terms of Endearment...

Postby JennaXXX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:03 pm

How do you feel when people use terms of endearments on you? At work I find that a lot of the older women call me names like sweetiepie and honeybunch. I suppose I find it a bit patronizing in a way as I wouldn't even use names like that on a 5 year old let alone a 25 year old.
I personally only use terms of endearments on the kids at work. Occassionally I use them on my friends but not that often.
Just thought it would be an interesting topic and I also wanted to know if anyone else had this sort of thing at work. I find it a bit embarassing really especially when some of the colleagues in question call out *Bye honeybunch* at the tops of their voices or when they see me they say something like *Hello gorgeous girl* and you know everyone else is thinking *No, she isn't gorgeous.* :oops:
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Terms of Endearment...

Postby spacegirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:48 pm

i guess they don't really bother me, where i am girls get "love" and guys get "son" from older men and women no matter who they are. I wouldn't take them too personally, some people just do it without thinking and i think it shows they're comfortable enough around you to use terms of endearment with you.If you were cold and aloof they probably wouldn't address you in this way.

an ex of mine called EVERYONE "sweetie" (women of any age) and "boss" (men of any age), and we worked in a shop, he used to get told off my customers all the time lol

depends on the situation also, if it's just a term of endearment, fine, but if I get "darling" or "sweetheart" in a sarcastic retort it really gets my goat.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LemonJuice87 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 am

Be thankful your not from the Black Country! Nearly everyone in a certain area gets called a male sexual organ that begins with a C. I cant type it, it will get censored out lol. Male, female, young or old. You get called that. I dont think anyone gets offended, its just one of those things.

I tend to call my female friends 'Chick'. And vice versa. E.g, "You ok chick?, Yeah no probs chick"

Mr. LemonJuice and his friends call each other "Kidda". "You alright kidda?"

There's usually a few light wear words in there somewhere. Its the town we're from. It cant be helped and everyone is used to it.

None of it bothers me really, unless its someone whos a bit two faced. Doesnt like me but is always nice to my face. I hate that.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Sussexlady » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 pm

It annoyed the hell out of me till I was about 35. Some terms set off my feminist rage!

Now in my 50s I don't mind, and sometimes go mad myself and call someone darlin' or luvvie!
Sussexlady
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

LemonJuice87 wrote:Be thankful your not from the Black Country! Nearly everyone in a certain area gets called a male sexual organ that begins with a C..

Its the same in Cornwall too. I remember when I started a job and some guy said 'Alright c*ck?' and I just said 'alright' and carried on walking and said to my boss 'did you hear what he just called me? What was that all about, I didnt do anything to him?!' and then my boss explained it was innocent haha.

Another one in Cornwall is 'bird'
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby spacegirl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:12 pm

that is hilarious!! haha if you called someone c**k in my town you'd get a smack!
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 pm

haha Yep!
Also, with the bird thing, I thought 'bird' was something the cornish said to women only. So when one of my co-workers said 'alright bird?' I said 'yeah fine, you?' as there was a customer. After the customer went I said 'you know you called me bird? Well, you know im male, dont you?' haha she laughed and said that they call everyone bird!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 am

Its really funny if someone from out of town comes here and a random person in a shop calls them a c*ck. Its hilarious to watch their face and them not knowning how to react lol.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 pm

When I walk in one of our offices I always say alright girls. One of the people who works in that office is a guy but he considers himself one of the girls :P
All of the woman are older than me so they take it as a compliment I still see them as girls and not old bags :D
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Terms of endearment appear spontaneously for me as soon as I begin to have any affection for a person or animal. I actually can't prevent myself from using them; in those circumstances the person's real name just seems inadequate or too cold. However, I usually have a favourite term of endearment, which I rotate with others for fun. With the man I have currently been dating, I generally call him "Button", rotating with "Gorgeous" "Hot Stuff" "Penguin" and "Pickle" for particularly cute moments. I also use the more standard "My love" and "Darling" but not often.

The two cats I look after were christened "Fuffy" and "Dizzy" - I usually call them "FlufflePussCatkin" and "DizzlePuss" :roll:
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:24 pm

I love the endearment button, Snail.

I call close friends and family various endearments, honey, hon, sweety, lovely and so on. I am not so keen on calling aquaintances it though, but because I work on the phone I talk to alot of different people all over the country, and get called various pet names by my staff. Sweetie, love, darling, hon, and so on. Sometimes it is just the way of people, and I wouldn't take it badly.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 am

I don't often use terms of endearment with my friends or family, but I have loads of stupid names for my boyfriend, which include:

* Bubs Bubble Bum (!)
* Plummie
* Peachy
* Snuggle Bum
* Pumpkin
* Poppet

... yes, I am mental, haha 8-[
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Snuggle bum? haha How cute :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat