TV

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

TV

Postby captainf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 am

Okay guys, this is just a question that i've been wondering, but can a TV turn itself on?
My region is currently going through the digital switch over and my TV is relatively new (got it for xmas) and on the day that we were supposed to be switched over to digital my TV turned on by itself at about 6am and woke me up. Now, my TV doesnt have an off switch, in order to completely turn it off you have to switch it to standby and then turn the plug off. I couldnt be bothered to turn the plug off that night and left it on standby which meant the blue light on the TV which normally remains on (when the tv is on standby) did an unusual thing and continued to flash on and off all night, coupled with the fact that then a few hours later it turned itself on at 6am, I am wondering could the switch over and the mast they were working on in bedford cause my TV to turn on by itself?

It had never happened before, nor since, so i'm curious.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: TV

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 am

It certainly can.

A lot of television manufacturers now broadcast software updates directly to televisions. A modern television is in lots of ways just a mini PC and as a result new features and bug fixes require updates to the software.

I'm in no position to say how your particular TV works or how it updates itself, but part of the update process may well be a power up to verify the update has worked correctly - kind of like your PC wanting to reboot iself after operating system updates.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TV

Postby captainf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks very much for the info. I didnt know that they updated TV's like that! Thats really interesting and I appreciate the info, thankyou kindly.
I'm glad to know my house isnt haunted :D

I guess it must of just been updating, especially with the swtich over. Thanks ever so much for replying. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat