Internet Dating

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Internet Dating

Postby rufio89 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

What's everyones thoughts on internet dating?

My friend signed me up to plenty of fish, saying "go onnnnnnn it'll be fun", but I find the whole concept utterly depressing. She said it would be a good thing because I can search for things like "not a massive crack addict" or "not 36" but isnt the whole fun of meeting someone new that initial spark?

I dont think I'm even looking for anyone so it's sort of a mute point for me, but I was just curious about other peoples opinions.

I know it used to be this big taboo thing, but now it seems to be generally accepted, people talk about dating sites theyre on all the time, although I dont think I actually know anyone who met their other half on a dating site.

Has anyone had any luck with them/what are your opinions on it?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Internet Dating

Postby Skarlet » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Hey Rufio,
I have been internet dating recently. I would say that there is an awful lot of dross around on those sites. Especially the free ones.

It can be fun, and I loved the whole mystery of getting messages, going on dates and seeing how it went, and I met some nice guys, some not so nice guys, and I have some ace stories to entertain people with at parties. Like the older guy I turned down twice who then offered me money.. lol.

Skarlet
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby brendo » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 am

Internet dating is a bit hit and miss. I did it for a bit and it was fun but fruitless in the end. My sister found the same. However, two of my female friends did find their boyfriends online (on plenty of fish) and they've both had stable relationships with these guys since. My cousin met his wife online too so its not all bad.

Internet dating is just a new way of meeting people but there's no way to tell if there's an initial spark until you meet up. They might look good and write great emails, but they could be dead boring in person or just not someone who you 'click' with. I'd say try it out for a bit, if nothing else, you'll get a few stories out of it and maybe make a friend or more along the way.
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 am

Yeah I went on one date on Friday but it was a bit nothingy.

He seemed like a nice enough guy but he didnt do anything for me, I didnt have any spark, he seemed friendly, but the whole evening was a little boring, and physically i just didnt find him attractive, but apparently he didnt see it the same way as he bombarded me with texts all weekend and monday until I texted him yesterday saying "I'm sorry I'm not interested, please leave me alone".

I think I'm going to close my plenty of fish account... I might try one of the paid ones when I've got some money and I'm a bit happier. It's been a bad few weeks so I'm a bit fragile at the moment and I cant really be bothered.

I did have plans to meet up with someone from POF tonight but I'm going to cancel I think.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm

My friend met her fiance on Match.com. She paid around £60 for a three month membership but had met her boyfriend within a month! They are getting married in May next year. There are a lot of "strange" people on there granted, I think she went on a few dates and had private chats with a few, but there is always chance of meeting somebody great! You just have to be patient, not jump in to anything and see what happens! The problem is most people when internet dating tend to forget about real life too. Keep a balance, don't rely on it and be careful!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:40 pm

I actually went on a date the other day from POF that went really well, so maybe it's not an evil after all, haha.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Mon May 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Sounds promising. Has he asked to see you again? :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Yes, we're going on out Thursday.

He seemed really lovely, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

BUT, regardless of how it turns out, I left our first date all excited and I was buzzing for hour and I'd forgotten what that feeling was like, so that was nice and I should remember what that feeling is like.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Tue May 31, 2011 12:00 am

That sounds really great :) Its good that you had a good feeling from the first date and you're going on a second so it sounds like things are going well :) I hope that hes everything you want him to be :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby xgemma86x » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 pm

I met my boyfriend online but on a social networking site. We will have been together 4 years next month :) I don't see the problem with internet dating as long as you get to know the person properly before meeting them!x
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby aguyhidingsomewhere » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Like everything I guess it has its benefits and pitt falls. I met my girlfriend online; although like xgemma86x it was via a social networking site. We've been together 7 years now and chatted a lot before that so there are definitely some keepers out there! ;-)
aguyhidingsomewhere
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Rightnow » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:18 pm

My opinion about Internet Dating? Take distance young girl! That nothing for you
Rightnow
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Chit Chat