Cooking for a very fussy eater

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Cooking for a very fussy eater

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Maybe its a case of slowly introducing more flavours. Does he like herbs? slowly increase his palate to new flavours.

Does he also have an issue with textures?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I used to watch the BBC 3 programme Freaky Eaters, which dealt with people like this (although they were usually more extreme than Mr Jen is).

The families used to complain about how the person wouldn't even consider trying any of the foods they thought they disliked and how unreasonable it was. I remember once the psychologist who presented the programme sat a freaky eater's family down to a meal. The food items were things like fried locusts, grubs, spiders, and rats. When the family protested, horrifed, the presenter pointed out that all the items on their plates were perfectly safe to eat and very nutritious, and were in fact eaten in some cultures so were legitimately food. So why were they being so unreasonable? Then he said, that's how your relative feels when you want him to eat eggs (or whatever it was).

Having said that, not eating vegetables at all is not an option - Mr Jen needs to be eating 3 -5 portions every day in order to be fully healthy (potatoes don't count as a vegetable in nutritional terms; they're a starch). There are lots of unusual vegetables around these days, especially if you look in foreign food supermarkets - could you find something that neither of you has ever had and try it together? It might be more acceptable for him if you're trying something brand new as well; you can compare notes and have a laugh.

If you never saw Freaky Eaters, then the outcome is hopeful - all the participants ended up eating a much more varied diet than when the programme started. It took a combination of repeatedly getting them to try new things (even if they spat them out - they were allowed to do that) until they found a few they liked, and talking about the origins of the problem and anything they were unhappy about in their lives. And patience!
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 am

Hiya

Thanks for the response snail.

Yeah i saw freaky eaters. I'm pretty sure i can get him to try new things. I know he will never ever eat egg and have kind of accepted that now. He is improving from when i first met him-for example he had never eaten peppers before because he thought they were hot. It wasn't until after i explained to him that bell peppers weren't hot at all that he tried them and realised he liked them. I also made cajun chicken and put some tomato puree in the sauce and before i put it in he said "i don't think i like that" and i said "well it goes in this and its only a spoon full so just try it" and guess what - he loves the cajun chicken. I know it is a long slow process and to be honest i've never really let it get to me before but i do enjoy cooking and love it when we sit down together and have the same dinner rather than him sorting his and me sorting mine.

I just need to find stuff that we can try and just keep going with it.

I think it's all to do with upbringing tbh. I think because his mum doesn't like onion, they never ever had anything with onion in it so he wouldn't have even had a chance to try it. Also i think most of the meals (besides a typical sunday roast) were things like chicken nuggets/crispy chicken and chips etc which i suppose is ok some nights for tea but i think kids need to have a varied diet to allow their tastebuds to develop.

i also tried to explain that he might like things now that he didn't like before. I know my tastes have certainly changed. When i was younger i used to point blank refuse a lot of veg whereas now i can eat and even enjoy sprouts and carrots etc.

Thanks again guys. All your responses have been really appreciated.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Previous

Return to Chit Chat