MSN plan to revoke its chatroom service in 28 countries

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

MSN plan to revoke its chatroom service in 28 countries

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:44 pm

In October MSN plan to revoke its chatroom service in 28 countries, as part of an effort to protect children online. MSN UK's chatrooms are to close on October 14. MSN will continue to offer chat services to users in the United States, Canada, Japan and Brazil.

I have used and run chat rooms on MSN Chat for several years. In that time I have chatted with thousands of people, who I would not have met otherwise. Long term friendships have been established and this has had a positive effect on my life and the lives of most people using the service.

It is true that a number of people abuse the service, but is that not true of everything? The Internet is just another public place. Would a responsible parent leave their child to wander around a shopping centre? The answer is "no". The same should apply to the Internet, but the majority of parents are being irresponsible.

MSN revoking the chat service will not stop people abusing chat rooms and the Internet, as those people will just go elsewhere. MSN should be working on new and improved ways to make the chat service safer, but it looks like it would be easier for them to just remove it completely.

MSN Chat is an important part of the lives of many people all around the world. MSN need to acknowledge this and work at it.

That's what I think anyway, and I've signed the petition at petitiononline.com. The address of the petition is: http://www.petitiononline.com/msnchat/petition.html
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby misatok11 » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:52 pm

I agree wholeheartedly.
Just because of a minority of users who take matters into their own hands the rest will suffer.

Other ISPS, AOL, BT, etc. will follow suit. Theses companies don't realise that in doing so other riskier ways of chatting will happen and these wont have the support of providers to turn to when users get abuse.

Please sign the petition, support the cause. Who knows our own beloved chatroom may follow...
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:55 pm

Sandy Starr, United Kingdom wrote:Microsoft's decision to close down all of its MSN internet chatrooms in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and most of Asia is unfortunate.

The threat posed to children by online paedophiles has been wildly exaggerated. Internet chatrooms bear no more blame for the activities of those who use them than the telephone network does for the actions of people who have telephone conversations.

Microsoft is legitimising panic, stigmatising internet communication, and obscuring the fact that it is the responsibility of parents, and parents alone, to supervise the activities of their children - whether online or off.

Archie, Inverclyde, Scotland wrote:What next? Let's get rid of Playgrounds, Mobile Phones, Personal Ads, Shopping Malls, Swimming Pools, Boy Scouts, Youth Clubs. Grow up Microsoft.

The fact is that Chat is non profit making and potentially litigious. Call it for what it is. Don't veil it as some altruistic gesture. Chat control is the sole responsibility of the parents.

Helen, UK wrote:Having read the comments already placed on here - I would like to say that a lot of people seem to be blaming the technology for the problems and potential dangers of the internet. The Internet itself poses no dangers to anybody. It is the other users that are the problem. Shutting chat rooms will not stop the danger, the only way to protect children is to educate them, and their parents/guardians/carers in how to use the Internet safely.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jupiter » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:02 pm

o think banning them is HIDING the problem... not solving it... on msn IM no-one can really moderate what happens and u caneasily find someones profile and reach them on there. chatrooms are much more open and can be regulated and moderated alot easier than IM.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misatok11 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:05 pm

All they are doing is trying to get rid of any blame that might come their way.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jupiter » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:07 pm

i agree... they just like to wipe the blame away but IM is much more dangerous. i think that parental guidance is more important... i dont know if there is any way to stop it but getting rid of chatrooms... a safe enviroment for people to chat is not the way to do it.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:55 pm

I agree.
I have add myself to the petition. Number 30619.

Sovs :wink:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:21 pm

I'm number 14981, just said pretty much what I said here.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:23 am

Tomorrow's the day...
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Chit Chat