RSPCA is a Joke!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

RSPCA is a Joke!

Postby emma_leigh_2003 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:38 pm

Last Wednesday (about 11pm) my boyfriend was on the way to pick me up from my mum's. On the way there a cat ran in front of his car and the wheel of his car went right over the cat. My boyfriend pulled over a went back to the cat but it had gone, someone told him that it ran up one of the side street's.

My boyfriend went looking for it and found it under a parked car crying out in pain. He got on his mobile and rang the RSPCA who told him that they would ring him back with a telephone number of the nearest local late night vet. While waiting for them to get back to him my boyfriend coaxed the poor cat from under the car, someone had brought a box out and he put the cat in it.

Ten minutes later the cat died, the RSPCA rang back 2 minutes later with the number of the vet's. My boyfriend told them that the cat had just died, they then said to him to just either leave the cat at the side of the road for the street cleaner's to clean up or throw it in a bin.

This enraged my boyfriend (he is a cat lover) and asked the RSPCA if that had been a dog he had ran over and it died would he still have to take it to the vet's and they told them yes. He asked why this was the case and they told him "Dog's need to be taken to the vet's dead or alive so they can see if they have a microchip, if so they can get in touch with the owner's."

I find this disgusting, a cat is as much of a pet as a dog is. I told my nan about this (she is also a cat lover) and she said "Dog's need to be taken to vet's because you need a licence for them." But this isn't true as the Dog licence's went out year's ago.

Does anyone know why cat's get treated like vermen?
emma_leigh_2003
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Lorelei » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:08 pm

Oh, I totally agree!
I'm such a cat lover too and it breaks my heart how callous people can be about them.

A friend of mine used to feed a wild cat that lived in his area. She had kittens and one of the neighbours took her and her kittens into the shelter. When they were on their way there, another neighbour decided that she would adopt the whole family of cats so my friend rang the shelter and said: "A black and white cat and her kittens are about to be brought in, keep them there, we'll be down to collect them all and give them a home!"

When he got there he said, "I phoned ahead, I'm here to pick up a cat..."
They said: "There was no cat."
"Oh, but there was," he insisted, "I just spoke to the peole who brought her in, she was black and white..."
"Oh, THAT cat!" they replied, "Oh, we had to put that cat down."
My friend was shocked. The cat had been perfectly healthy. "What about the kittens?" he ventured.
"There were no kittens."

Well, it's pretty obvious that it's policy in some shelters to kill every single cat that comes in the door.
It makes me want to cry.xxx :blackcat:
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:49 pm

it isnt just the RSPCA who drive me mad over things like this little shelters and the police are just as bad. A huge staff dog ran out in front of my car one saturday in town. i didnt hit it but was the only person to stop and help. It was a really friendly dog but very big & strong which could frighten people. I spent ages looking for an owner but couldn't see one so I took it to the police station and they basically told me to get lost cos they didn't take staffs in. I then tried 3 shelters who all said the same so there i was, stuck with a huge dog. I couldn't take it home because i still lived with my mum and she had two cats. In the end i drove all the way to another town (15 miles away) and took it to the police station there and they had dog kennels. They weren't very nice and helpful but took the poor thing. I had to ring the station later to find out what had happened to it and it did eventually get claimed. I spent a whole day trying to help a poor lost animal but no one was interested.

Also, my friends and i came across a baby deer by the side of the road really late at night a few years ago. It was screaming and couldn't get up. We called the police, who told us not to touch it and they would sort it out later. We pulled our cars round it and waited for 2 hours (about midnight) by this time it had calmed down. They finally sent a car out - blue flashing lights and sirens which frightened the poor thing so much it literally dragged itself off into a little wood area. They then told us just to leave it to die there was nothing anyone could do. I think it could have been saved if they had got a vet out in the first place. It had been hit by a motorist in the first place so it wasn't a natural cause. I didnt half cry at the time it was so upsetting.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:01 pm

Bear in mind though that the RSPCA is a completely independant charity that receives absolutely no funding from the government.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:34 pm

I donate to a number of charities, the RSPCA being one of them and i support their work. What infuriates me sometimes is that they are more than willing to take your money but when you actually need to access the service they provide, they dont appear to be as helpful.

My mum tried to get our rabbit rehomed because it was vicious and clearly didn't like living with us. The RSPCA were quite horrible to her on the phone and made it quite clear that they were over-run with rabbits and didn't want to take any more. They told my mum to advertise it in a shop window or just keep it as it was. This really upset my mum because it wasn't as if she just dumped it on their doorstep, she was asking for their help. She had spent lots of money in vets bills trying to help the rabbit because it kept getting poo matted in its fur but after it bit her really badly she just didn't know what to do. In the end she got another place to take it and apparently it was much happier.

I know that this seems very trivial and i know that they have huge workloads to cope with and cases of serious neglect etc. it just upsets me that when people try to do the right thing, we are made to feel bad. I know, we shouldn't get pets and then palm them off on the RSPCA, but lots of people actually get their pets there too.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:40 pm

There are a lot of bad stories about the RSPCA. I find it hrd to believe that they only see dogs because they are microchipped. The majority of cats are microchipped now as well. I think that the RSPCA needs to sort it's priorities out whether it is a charity or not.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:33 pm

(SOVS Husband)
Hope you dont mind me replying but this subject caught my eye
The Rspca is a joke completely
Once there was a stray dog who was hurt and I rang the Rspca and all they could say was we cant come out
I told them the dog was hurt and they insisted they cant
Also there was a time when me and my wife were walking past a pub during the heatwave this summer very hot and a dog had been tied up outside and inside a bowl next to him was lager yes lager not water
I rang the Rspca and they also said they cant get out I told them that is cruelty in your face
I rang them back this time they said they would send them
They never arrived even hours later as our old house overlooked the pub

So I agree They are a joke
SOVS Husband :D
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby misatok11 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:54 pm

The law states that a Dog is classed as an owned pet. If they get run down or injured they must be report the injury to the police station. Failure to do so can result in criminal action being taken.
A cat isn't classed as an owned animal.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby lilo » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:30 pm

That's right Misatok!

Basically cats have no rights!

You can run one over and just leave it there! I always remeber being told this by my driving instructor!

That is sick I know but unfortunately true!
Life's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get!!!!!
lilo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Fidel » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:10 am

I agree with Enigma (yes - shock horror)
The RSPCA is entirely funded by you. If u want ur evil cats to get treated better then give thm more money.
Top of that Cats are vile, smelly creatures and are nothing on dogs.

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby emma_leigh_2003 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:25 pm

Fidel I personally don't like cats myself, but it's not about cats being vile, smelly creature's, it's about the way they get treated so badly unlike dog's. Cats are also pets! That cat my boyfriend run over could of belonged to an old person, that cat could of been the only company that person had and now they don't know what has happened to it.
emma_leigh_2003
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:33 pm

fidel, i happen to like cats and i believe all animals should be respected.
Maybe its us people that should be left on the side of a road!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:43 pm

Fidel It is just the ignorance a typical human says that dogs are better than cats
Dogs serve humans best for them (hunting,Mans best friend,pulling sleigh,Status,etc)
In my opinion animals behave a lot better than a majority of so called humans when you get people like murderers,paedafiles,rapists,burglers and so on animals behave much better
think about it
Im not being funny
We are destroying the planet and destroying and hunting and making species extinct
I have always loved animals and have 3 cats
and it sickens me that someone could run my cat over and just drive off
wheras a dog you have to report
Also going off subject a little I hate people saying that foxes,squirrels,pigeons etc are classed as vermin they are animals people that do very bad things are vermin
ANYONE agree with what I say
Just an animal lover thats all :grouphug:
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:45 pm

I whole heartedly agree :wink:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:19 pm

An error occured while I was processing an administrative function on this topic, and posts which I did not want to be deleted were. Sorry for the inconvenience, here are those posts in quote form...

Depman wrote:Deer are protected I think at one time the police would come out
The way this country is at the moment sucks
and not many people care anymore
The RSPCA are hypocrites
Local Animal hospitals get credit from because they actually care

Enigma wrote:Animals protected by the law, excluding ownerless and wild animals, are mammals, birds, and reptiles. Animals protected by the law must be provided with adequate housing, handling, sanitation, food, water, transportation, veterinary care and shelter."

misatok11 wrote:I Do know that deer are a protected species in Scotland. Elsewhere i don't really know.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Chit Chat