Do You Believe There Is A God?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do You Believe There Is A God?

Yes
40%
No
60%
Uncertain
No votes
Other
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby saz » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:13 am

Mr L is getting very excited over this i can see!!!
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:29 am

Okay. I have read everybody's opinion on this topic and now I'm here to give mine. :D

I was born a Muslim. I was brought up with bits and bobs of Islam all the way through my childhood. As a child, I never really cared about whether or not there was a God. I just cared about the religious festivals and plenty of presents and clothes and things like that. Oh yeah, plenty of food too. :D

Both of my parents are Muslims. They both know how to pray and they know what they need to know about their religion. They're not religious. They pick and choose what they want to follow, like many people do today. However, they tried teaching my sister and I at a very young age. We didn't grasp it and we didn't want to grasp it either. So my mother gave up for a short while.

Throughout the rest of my childhood and my teenage years, my mother kept trying to teach us about Islam, however it didn't work. I wasn't interested in Islam anymore. It had been shoved down my throat so many times I just couldn't do with it anymore and it found it very demeaning to women. Women were the inferior race in Islam, in my opinon.

In the past three or four years (I am now 17), I have explored various beliefs and religions. I went and tried to become a member of the Catholic Church but the priest there wouldn't let me join due to me being born a Muslim. I looked into becoming a Wicca and I decided that it wasn't what I wanted to do. I kept searching.

I believe in God, however, I found myself drawn to the spiritual world because the supernatural was always a great topic of interest to me. My best friend, Jimmy, told me that he goes to the Spiritualist Church and he took me along one day. It combined the spirit world with the belief in God. It's mainly about spirits and the spiritual world, but they throw a bit of God in there with the hymns and the prayers.

Every week, a medium comes in. It was my first time in a Spiritualist Church and she came to me straight away saying that there were spirits there trying to give me a message. They were my great-grandparents. I was about ten when both of them had passed away. They, apparently, were advising me in life and everything that the medium said to me made sense. She also said things to me that nobody could ever have known about me.

I now do Tarot cards. I have a strong magnetic feeling towards things like Tarot cards and supernatural things. I have a belief in a God, however, I have a belief in the spirit world aswell and I believe that when we die, we go to a much better place, regardless of what we do on this Earth. :D

Thanks for being patient and reading this incredibly long text :D

mariamaria
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Fidel » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:24 pm

No offence to anyone but the more people we have waking up to Islam the better.
There is no such thing as a mercy killing like what the Muslim man did to his cousin
Women and all people are equal.
There is no such thing as a holy war and I don't think it's written in the Qu'ran that Allah supports evil.
I think Islam is a weight on the shoulders of many people who are already struggling from hunger and other problems in the far-east and Africa. However, I must accept that it's their choice although quite a few people have no say whatsoever (Up until recently you could not be anything else in Afghanistan or Iraq and many families forbid one to change or give up on their religion)
Im not a fan of the Western Civilization and I would prefer that these countries did not adopt the American way of life but I think these countries are being held back by Islam

No offence honestly (I don't like any religion)

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:51 pm

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their views on religion.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:54 pm

Read my post - I said "It's their choice"
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:57 pm

I know you were Fidel, i wasn't directing my post at you. Just generally a little reminder for everyone.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby KoRn_Freak » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:48 pm

Fidel wrote:PS
Witchcraft is coooooolll!!!!!

I agree, but I'm bias since I practice it lol

It can be really confusing though, since in a lot of things I've studied it mentions loads of different dieties that go hand in hand, like Osiris and Isis for example. So depending on which path of Witchcraft you follow depends on who you choose to believe in. It doesn't mean you have to bow down to them and worship them or anything. I guess it's a bit like Buddhism- you choose the way you want to follow, and the way you want to believe.

I don't think it could ever be possible for just one god to ever exist, since throughout the ages, there's a pattern to be spotted. I mentioned in a previous post that the Goddess gave birth to the God, and when you look at Christianity, it was Mary who gave birth to Jesus. If you look carefully at a variety of different religions, its very easy to see similarities in the writings, the practices and the prayers.

Perhaps our consciences are the reason for the fact that there are so many different gods and dieties. I mean afterall there are a lot of people who believe that a god or God (Christian/Jewish) is their conscience. Now lets say "Bob" believes that his conscience is his form of God (C/J) and he goes to church every other Sunday, and he follows the Bible partially. He tries his best to be charitable, to be kind and not to do harm to others. One day, "Bob" runs into some financial difficulties and is terirbly worried that he will be evicted from the house he rents. He decides to take out a loan for £5000, but uses the money to close all his other bank accounts and flees the country and goes to live in Maui. "Bob" has basically committed an act of fraud, and feels guilty. Why did he do it? Because he was desperate, he was frightened and worried. Bob isn't a bad person, but something inside him made him do it. Was it God? How could it have been? The Bible taught him not to steal. So what made him do it? The Devil on his shoulder? Even though "Bob" doesn't want to be a bad person and wishes to do the best he can to be a positive member of society, there was something in his conscience that made him get away without repaying the loan.

This is where the Chinese theory of Yin and Yang. When you look at the symbol for Yin and Yang, everything is in perfect harmony. And each of us has a positive side, and a negative side, just like a set of tarot cards. Not every reading speaks of good fortune and prosperity; the reversed cards have reversed meanings. So in a way, depending on the Yin and Yang of your conscience depends on your balance- you're either positive or negative, but there's always a little bit of the opposite intervening.

Phew! There! Said! :D
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Llisa » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:30 pm

It has been decided by the moderating team that this topic should now be locked. The forum rules state that you should not :
Use the forums to promote your political or religious beliefs.

Although people's opinions on God were asked, there is a lot of border-line promoting happening, and also discrimination against other beliefs. It had been said at the beginning of the thread that there was to be no commenting on other people's beliefs and opinions. Unfortunately, not all have abidded by this, and therefore this has to be locked.
Normally a reason for locking a topic is not given at such length, but since it has been a touchy subject, we felt it appropriate to give one.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Previous

Return to Chit Chat