Medical disasters and frustrating doctors...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Medical disasters and frustrating doctors...

Postby Llisa » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:26 am

This morning I had an upsetting experience...
I've been fairly ill the past week or so, and so I went to a walk-in clinic to see a physician, since I've recently moved away from home, and my family doctor.
I waited for 2 hours to see the doctor, and when I got it, he asked me to describe my symptoms. This is the conversation that followed.
Doc- "Are you sexually active?"
Me - "No."
"Are you sure? 99.9% of the girls who come in here with your symptoms are pregnant and just don't want to admit it"
"No, I'm not pregnant, I'm sick"
"Do you use protection? Are you on birth control pills?"
"I'm NOT sexually active...I've never even had sex!"
"I'm so sure...you know, I can't help you if you don't tell me the truth. In all likelyhood, you are pregnant."
"I'm NOT pregnant!"
I was SO disgusted with the man...I had gone in to get help and a prescription to ward of a virus, and instead was sterotyped and basically called a liar to my face. Needless to stay, I stormed out of there with him yelling after me, "Try eating soda crackers, they help with morning sickness"
Anyone else want to share their hospital horror stories?
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:44 am

I would have been so angry with that doctor!!!!

I have two worst experiences - a childbirth one that i wont go into (long and messy) and the time my GP 'felt me up'! Yep i went to see him with a bad pain (in my back!) and he asked me to take my top off then proceeded to examine me if you know what i mean. I got really annoyed with him and told him to look at my back, not my 'front'. He then started talking to me whilst his hands were still on my chest, just resting there.

It was awful and i never went back to see him again i know i should have reported him but i thought that it was just me making more of it.

By the way Llisa, along the same sort of lines as yours, my friend was told to get pregnant by the local council so that she could get a council house! She told them she was single and didn't want a baby yet but they told her that if she had one she would get somewhere to live!! How rude like your doctor!!
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rammsteinrainbow » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:15 am

I've had that too. Was feeling faint, puking up in the mornings, ankles were swelling and breasts were sore. I went to my doctor, and he was convinced i was pregnant. I pointed out that I was a virgin. He then said I must have had sex whilst drunk and not remember. I pointed out that I dont drink much, only two alcopop things. Any spirit drinking is done with my dad. The doctor was convinced I was pregnant, and would not let it go. I saw another doctor after that.
rammsteinrainbow
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby sovs » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:15 am

When i was pregnant at 24 weeks i had a gush, which i thought was my waters breaking, i went to the labour ward and they said it was just a infection and gave me cream.
I started bleeding the next day and it turned out it was my waters that had broken.

Then at 34 weeks gone i was admitted to hospital until baby was born as i was having problems in the pregnancy. Two days later i was having shows and pain, and they said it was just braxton hicks and stereo typed me as a whinging teen.
I said it hurt to much to go to breakfast and the midwife said "dont have any then"!!
About three hours later i insited on seeing a doctor as i was doubled over in pain and when she came the babys head was in the birth canel!!!!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:38 pm

I was told there was nothing wrong with my knee at the Hospital.
When I walked out of the hospital to the bus stop My knee crunched and I feel to the ground. Two guys had to carry me back inside where they found I'd split my kneecap right up the middle whilst playing football!
Because they didnt treat it right away I had to spend 20 weeks not playing!!

Vlad the Impailer
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:31 pm

That's rediculous Llisa!

My family doctor used to be Doctor Harold Shipman.
Yes, you read that correctly.

He also killed two, possibly three, of my distant relatives.
Yes, you read that correctly also.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:07 pm

Oh my god, thats terrible :evil:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:21 pm

Sorry Engima that must be horrible for you

Hope hospital apologised to you sovs

xxxx
Last edited by saz on Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Dont read this one if you are squeamish

Postby saz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:34 pm

Sovs thought you might wanna swap birth horrors. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours!! but still upset me.

Waters broke Friday afternoon so went up to hospital. I was just over 2 weeks early. They left me waiting 2 HOURS until i even saw anyone. Lucky i wasn't having any contractions hey. The midwife was a bit of a drip so i told her i was going to sleep at home and come back in the morning. So went back early Saturday and they gave me a bed. They left me there until late afternoon when a doctor came round and told me they were going to induce me. A nurse gave me an internal which was so painful (worse than childbirth actually) i told her it was hurting but she carried on. I was bleeding afterwards and couldn't walk cos was in pain - from internal not contractions!!!!

They left me again until 9pm and then whisked me off to the delivery room where i was given another midwife i had never met before. She kept telling me birth horror stories and couldn't get my drip line in. It ended up with 4 midwives and 1 doctor trying to get drip into my arm - which really hurt. They made the line really short so i couldn't move at all during labour. She then turned the drugs up too high (which is dangerous). Luckily a nice midwife came on duty but it was a man!! He kept nipping out for a fag every 30mins! He kept shouting at me not to make any noise so i didn't scream at all. He ignored me for ages when i asked for an epidural and finally gave in and examined me and said 'too late head is coming!'.

I finally gave birth and had to remind THEM to give me injection for placenta (you know what i mean dont you) afterwards. The nurse who stitched me up put me in stirrups to do it then went off to do something else for 45mins. After all that they then decided to leave me in the delivery room bed for 4 HOURS - cold and messy. I ended up crying so they finally let me have a bath and go to bed. By this time it was 5am (i had her at 12.30am!) and all the other babies woke up, then the sun came up and i didn't sleep until the next night!!

The head midwife came to see me later on and told me that they had treated me badly, shouldn't have left me so long after waters broke and had been told off for it.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Smiler_Princess » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:42 am

These stories are terrible. I have one.

6 years ago on November 1st my great aunt died of Breast Cancer. She was the third in my family to have it. 5 years before then she wasn't feeling well and checked. The doctors said it was not cancer. Some more months, maybe a year after that she went in again. They said it wasn't cancer. The third time she went in they diagnosed her with Breast Cancer. It had, by then, spead too far for the to be able to do anything.

My gret-aunt told her sister (my nana) to follow it up. and do something about it so it never happened again if she didn't survive.

She didn't obviously however her husband sent a letter to the hospital thanking them for everything they did for her! That of course left my family with no leg to stand on.

When she was first diagnosed they tested my aunties, mums, and nanas genes to see if they could dicover anything. 10 years on and we have never recieved the results. What's worse is that since then my auntie has had it, my nana, and most recently my mum. The hospital isn't bothered. Even though they could discover a new Breast Cancer gene: it's just another number...who's going to be next?

Love

Tammy :roll:
"Because we can't call people without wings angels, we call them friends"

"I never wanted to be different...I just wanted to be me"
Smiler_Princess
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bubble » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:05 am

These stories are awful, I feel so sorry for you.
Im sorry about what happened to your relatives also Enigma. x
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby smile » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:53 am

That's awful Enigma, I'm so sorry.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby KoRn_Freak » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:07 pm

I really think that the majority of doctors are a complete waste of time, regardless if they work for the NHS or have their own private practices.

I absolutely detest them since I'm convinced they're all perverts. I went into see my doctor once about acne that was spreading to my back and chest, and all I wanted was something to get rid of it. So I explained to him what the problem was (I was about 13 at the time) and he starts saying stuff like 'during pregnancy hormonal chemicals blah blah blah' and I'm sat there utterly dumbfounded with my step-dad, listening to this medical quack banter on about how my acne was caused by pregnancy! LIKE HELLO!? 13 years of age- I'm not damn well pregnant!

God they are just so STUPID! Mine's a pervert. He just has to be. I hate male doctors.

No offence to anyone out there who runs an honest living by being a male doctor!
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby mariamaria » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:18 pm

All of these stories are horrible. It kind of makes me want to never visit my doctor or my hospital ever again. And it kind of makes me force myself not to get sick and if I do to hide it, if you know what I mean. That's the result of these horror stories. They're so....horrific.

Sorry about the losses incurred.

mariamaria
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby saz » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:41 am

Yeah these stories are a bit horrible but i have worked in a hospital and a doctors surgery, and been there as a patient a lot and i only have 2 stories. The majority of doctors and hospitals are very competent and they undergo regular inspections. All complaints are dealt with too.

Try not to worry about going to see the doctor or going to hospital. The best lesson to be learned is no matter your age or sex, dont put up with bad service. These people are paid to help you and if you dont feel that they are then say something. Always make sure you get what you ask for and dont be spoken to in a way that you dont like it isn't fair. I would say if you dont like your GP you are allowed to see another one and dont be told otherwise. Always get them to explain everything as well and try not to worry!!!!!
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Chit Chat