Fox hunting and other blood sports

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Hunting

Hunting to be banned
91%
Hunting to stay
9%
Undecided
No votes
Not bothered
No votes

Total votes: 22

sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by sovs » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:05 pm

I see what your all saying and you all have valid points.

But kitten you say they breed excessively, but dont we humans!
If people wernt on the earth the place would be cleaner, beautiful and unpolluted.
I would agree though for paedophiles, murders and rapiests being hunted to their deaths.

kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by kitten » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:17 pm

Perhaps we should classify ourselves as pests! In China (i believe) if you have more than two children others are terminated due to population expansion.

I think people could go around in visicous circles looking for the wrongs and rights of the world. Really we need to start over.

Has anyone ever thought like me that it is odd that the most religious places in the world suffer from the most wars due to conflict of opinion, but then is it not human nature to argue conflictively? #-o Now I have confused myself!

saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by saz » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:40 pm

This is quite a difficult subject and i can see both sides to it. The problem i have with it though, is that really, it is just nature! Foxes hunt and kill because it is their instinct to do so, just as wild dogs and cats do. We have tamed cats and dogs but are prepared to kill foxes because they are a nuisance. Nobody keeps foxes as pets because they are so wild, but they are a beautiful species which i doubt our grandchildrens, granchildrens, grandchildren will ever see at this rate.

I went to the zoo with my daughter today and we saw a fox in a cage. He was found as a cub after he had been hit by a car. When someone brought him in it turned out he had a virus which had left him deaf and blind. He could never be released because of this. I felt sad but i would do for any animal. He was really lovely and i saw him close up all curled up in a ball. After seeing him the thought of dogs chasing him made me shiver.

My boyfriend has made a fox friend by the way. On the way to work a fox comes out and he gives him a sandwich, so now the fox comes out every day. He has also befriended one when he has been fishing so now he really loves them and it upsets him to think they get killed.

I eat meat but i still get upset when i think about something being slaughtered. I was veggie for 7 years but i got ill because of it so i eat meat when i really have to. My gran used to live near a slaughter house and the smell was horrific. You could hear the sheep and pigs screaming too. I dont enjoy eating meat really and dont enjoy the thought of killing anything.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Post by Enigma » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:56 pm

Well it's like the cigarette thing isn't it? The really obviously logical thing to do in order to radically reduce deaths caused by smoking is to stop distributing cigarettes. Putting notices on cigarette packets is just a hypocritical act that is only there so that regulatory bodies can make out like they are trying to do something about the problems caused by cigarette smoking.

Truth is that the people at the top get so much money out of the trade that they'd rather keep it. The same goes for hunting in that it suits the lifestyles of the people at the top. People with higher social status are recreationally killing animals lower in the food chain.

X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by X_Smiler_X » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:32 pm

I think it's completely wrong, If I had to ban one thing, it would be that.
I do Animal Care at College, so as you can probably guess I have a big love of animals, and seeing this is upsetting.

I hope one day somebody wakes up and smells the coffee - it's wrong!.

K xx
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by depman » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:20 am

When are they going to wake up though
Not the way peoples attitudes are at the moment I dont think
Shame :(
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by KoRn_Freak » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:42 am

Hunting is nothing more than an a brutal, outdated form of animal cruelty that has been ignored for years and years through technicalities laid down by its supporters and a lack of care shown by the government into its ban.

What is the reason for murdering an innocent animal? Are people that uncivilised that they feel the urge to chase a fox round the countryside and let a dozen or more hounds rip it to shreds? Do they yearn for some sort of proud title, and that magnetises them into fox hunting?

It's just completely and utterly barbaric. In this day and age, it should be totally banned for good. It's inhumane, it's unnecessary and it's extremely cruel.

The same goes for domestic animal fur. The government hasn't even thought of banning that! Harvey Nichols are selling products which containt real rabbit fur and claim its a rabbit meat by-product, but research has shown that that is an absolute load of tosh and they do not care for the disgusting and degrading conditions in which the animals are kept, or the inexplicable and hurrendous methods of killing which they are forced to endure. And believe it or not, the same horrific conditions are the same for fully grown dogs, puppies, cats and kittens. It takes 6 labradors to make 1 rug, and over 25 cats to make a coat.

THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY, THIS IS THE TIME OF PROGRESS. WE DO NOT NEED HUNTING OR ANIMAL FUR TO KEEP PUSHING US BACK INTO THE PAST WHEN WE ARE VERY CAPABLE OF USING MAN-MADE FIBRES AND BIODEGRABLE SYNTHETICS FOR OUR CLOTHING AND FOR FOOD. NO ANIMAL SHOULD SUFFER AT THE HAND OF CRUELTY: THIS WORLD BELONGS TO BOTH HUMANS AND ANIMALS ALIKE, AND THE TRUTH IS THAT THEY DOMINATED OUR LAND FIRST AND WE SHOULD RESTORE THEIR RIGHTS TO A FREE AND GOOD LIFE, JUST AS EQUALLY AS ANY HUMAN BEING DESERVES A FREE AND GOOD LIFE. THE BLOOD OF THE EARTH'S INNOCENT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT BE SPILLED FOR PROFIT, OR FOR SPORT, JUST AS THE BLOOD OF THE EARTH'S INNOCENT PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE SPILLED FOR LAND OR FOR VENGEANCE.

Peace xxx
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.

KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by KoRn_Freak » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:51 am

sovs wrote:I see what your all saying and you all have valid points.

But kitten you say they breed excessively, but dont we humans!
If people wernt on the earth the place would be cleaner, beautiful and unpolluted.
I would agree though for paedophiles, murders and rapiests being hunted to their deaths.

I agree completely!

Rabbits breed excessively too, as do mice and rats, but equally as much as humans and viruses.

We could find a solution to the problem of over-population by bringing back the death sentence to paedophiles, rapists, murderers and serial killers: this would reduce over-crowding in prisons and bring better peace-of-mind to society. As in America, prisoners should work whilst serving their sentences in jail instead of lazying about whilst their meals are paid for by the tax-payers. In third-world-countries where AIDs is a huge problem, workers from all around the world could promote methods of birth control by teaching young men and women about condoms, sterilisation etc, and companies could ship out contraceptives in bulk and let people put safe sex into practice to prevent pregnancy, and the infection of HIV and AIDs.

Sorry I went a bit off subject but I couldn't resist saying something lol
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...

mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by mariamaria » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:51 pm

It's basically Ideology. (Sorry, throwing my sociological terms at you). A set of beliefs and theories that benefit the ruling classes.

I personally am against hunting. I am a meat eater but would never encourage the hunting of animals for a sport. No matter if they're nuisances or not. Surely there are other ways to deal with these foxes and other animals that are hunted.

It's quite stupid really. Our country claims to have come so far over the years but its the same as it ever will be. The government turn a blind eye to the subject of poverty and how it links in to crime. (Sorry to drift away from the subject at hand, but had to use an example.)

Fox hunting and every other kind of hunting should be banned. We, as humans, have no right whatsoever as to when an animal's life should end, as somebody said earlier. It's the animal's right to die in their own time, not when we mere humans decide so.

Yes we are supposedly at the top of the food chain, but even we humans can be a bit stupid at times. If I had the strength and the manpower to do so, I would make sure that all hunting is banned.

I only eat meat because I have to. I am anaemic after years of being a vegetarian. So, unfortunately, I have to eat meat. I don't agree with it. I eat as little as possible as the thought of hurting an animal, any animal, causes distress.

Sorry to have rambled on but this is my point of view.

sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by sovs » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:16 am

A d

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by depman » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:23 am

A lot of good points in the last few posts and I completly agree
When the spurs go marching in

Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by Mr.L » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:32 am

Fox hunting is bad. Foxes are not scum or pests. Theey were her first, we are their parasite. Personally i feed foxes in my garden and they have grown to be healthy, also funnily enough they never poo in my garden:D. I hate fox hunting and it should be banned.
Pretty Girls Make Graves

KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by KoRn_Freak » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:42 am

Foxes are a beautiful, native specimen to our woodland areas but ever since the industrial revolution, the government hasn't thought of stopping for one second to consider the threats that traffic and pollution pose to our wildlife. Foxes wouldn't be 'pests' if humans and roads didn't tresspass upon their home territories. They are not in our way; we are in their way, and they're suffering the consequences of doing so and it isn't right. The governments views upon fox hunting are both unenthusiastic and politically lame, and I doubt that they will ever pull their fingers out and do something about the cruelty that these animals suffer. The same goes for badgers, rabbits, hares and hedgehogs: they are under threat because of roads and pollution, and also carelessness from people littering.

So, what will the outcome be? Will the government put their heads together and finally agree in the next five to ten years that fox hunting should be banned? Or will they do something NOW?

Will it come to the point where Britain's beautiful wildlife ceases to exist, just like the extinction of the beaver?

I hope not. [-X

Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by Mr.L » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:48 am

Its true, for work experience i am going to help in a wildlife sanctuary and they have so many foxes, the figures are that 17/20 foxes who come in have injury caused by humans. One fox was even booted in the face and had its tail cut off by a pair of garden shears. Animal cruelty shows humans woulkd we would do to eachother if the goverment had views on animals the same as on us. Fox hunting should be stopped and the lazy ass goverment should get new rules.
Pretty Girls Make Graves

mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by mariamaria » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:51 am

Let's face it. The government aren't going to do anything about it. They have more 'important' things to worry about like taxes etc.