Fox hunting and other blood sports

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Hunting

Hunting to be banned
91%
Hunting to stay
9%
Undecided
No votes
Not bothered
No votes

Total votes : 22

Postby Mr.L » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:22 pm

I know smiler, i made that point previously :s
Last edited by Mr.L on Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:27 pm

sorry :oops:
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Mr.L » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:34 pm

No lol sorry me typign being lazy! smiler pirncess i aimed that at! me and you smiler been agreeing with diff points:D! sorry bout that!
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby depman » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:47 pm

X_Smiler_X wrote:Yes your right. Animals are not born to be abused by us humans - they are born to live a life as good as we do.
Animals have a heart too - it really upsets me xx

It really upsets me too
I totally agree with everything you just put in post
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:47 pm

:D No problem hun, good to see people are so caring :D
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:07 am

93% say it should be banned on here
Thats caring :grouphug:

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:39 am

This was talked about recently so I have dug up the original thread

Feel free to add your views :wink:

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby daveshow » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:14 pm

theres an episode of the professionals called blood sports
"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now i'm very hungry"
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby worstfriend » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:34 pm

Foxes are hated by farmers because they are known to kill so much. If a fox breaks into your hen coop it doesn't kill one or two birds and then take then home, it kills every living bird in the coop and then makes off with one or two. If left it will come back as many times as necessary to empty the coop - it buries the birds until it wants to eat them - it doesn't mind slightly rotted meat. This rarely happens however because they are usually caught while killing or getting the first lot away and are too scared to come back for the rest. Such mindless brutality is bad news for farmers, most predators kill what they can carry and get away, but foxes can kill up to 100 birds in less than an hour.

Having said that, i believe that, though they should be controlled, shooting and trapping is a far better way to do so. Foxes have around 4 pups a year, foxhunts usually kill one every 2 hunts, which is around 18 a season. This is obviously making NO impact on the population and is done for fun and "sport". It angers me that people say that the hounds will be shot, and the horses sold for meat if the hunt is banned - it's absolute rubbish. I have ridden for YEARS and i have never needed to go to a hunt to justify the existence of the horses i rode.

In Germany hunters are trained by the government on how and when to kill animals and how to use their fur etc to the best advantage. Once qualified a hunter must shadow someone more experienced for a year - after that they are given the responsibility for a piece of land. If any damage is done to crops or farm animals on their "patch" THEY are fined for not controlling the wildlife populations effectively. This makes a far more responsible and compassionate type of hunter, who has a genuine concern for the creatures he cares for and controls. It is also his responsibility to ensure that the local populations remain at a healthy level so that extinction threatens none of the native breeds. Hunters almost always save and use the furs of meat-eaters they kill, and use the meat, furs and anything else they can from the herbivores. Nothing is wasted, the numbers are controlled but the lives are not ended for fun or pointlessly for no gain. Hunters focus on killing older animals which nature would take first, only during times of particular population explosion are younger animals taken.

I think this system should be implemented in Britain, it would be like having a massive network of game-keepers looking after the land and wildlife which lives there.
worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby daveshow » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm

thats an uber gut idea you can be my minister for farm and agriculture if you want?
"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now i'm very hungry"
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby depman » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:55 am

Worstfriend
I dont want to offend you and its just this subject which I feel strongly about but you have a very narrow horrible outlook to wildlife
I believe that every animal has the right to live and us(Humans)have no right to say how they live.

And to say a fox could kill 100 birds in an hour well there is a word I cannot use on here and its between my legs
Sorry but I feel strongly about this and the quicker hunting is banned the better

It makes me laugh when hunters whine about losing their jobs ahhhh!
GET A PROPER JOB
Murdering isnt a job

Most people on the poll at top of thread want it banned and that puppet blair lied and said he would ban it
He lied

How can people sit there and watch a defensless animal have its throat ripped out or chased to exhaustion beats me
They are evil in my book

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:40 am

I have to agree with Depman on this one, fox hunting is disgusting.

If farmers pay the money for decent fencing etc to protect the chickens it wouldnt be a problem.
Depmans mum has chickens and in the day they are free to roam and at night they go into the encaged area where foxes cant get in. They have never had a problem.
We do more harm in this world that foxes. We are the ones destroying the earth and making animals extinct not the foxes. And we are the ones over populating the world. Does that mean we should me chased to our deaths and killed?

These people should try doing a proper days work instead of killing defenceless animals!!!!!!!!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

hunting

Postby bobbyt » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:05 pm

Hiya everyone.

Now, I know I'm going to be shouted down over this, but I disagree.

If anyone thinks foxes are harmless little creatures, then I'm afraid they're mistaken.

I urge everyone who's written on here to attempt to find either a huntsman, or at least a gamekeeper, and ask if you can spend some time with them to enable them to show you the problems which vermin such as foxes cause. This is the only way you will be able to fully understand the countryside, and realise that things sometimes need to be controlled.

Secondly, it has been proven on many occasions that groups such as the 'leauge against cruel sports' etc regularly exaggerate their 'statistics'.

I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think before you comment you should try and find a bit more about it, particularly on something as controversial as this.

And if you want to see real cruelty, try going to spain; bull fights, circus of horrors (animal torture) etc etc.

Thanks for reading this,
bobbyt
bobbyt
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Fidel » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:53 pm

77.5% of statistics are made up - even that one (76.5%)
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby tinker1 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi guys Tinker here.

Well as some of you know I'm very horsey in fact I'm a riding instructor and own a farm so i would say personnally i know the devistation that foxes can cause but I am also a very very big animal lover.

I disagree with hunting of any form unless its for meat which is needed.

But here's what i think..... Either way someone somewhere is going to want to kill a animal - Remember that hunting is natural. But is there actually a nice way of killing anything?? No

Most people i know hunt, i myself don't. Most horse riders hunt for the thrill of riding across country, galloping and jumping theres only the odd few people who actually enjoy the kill. So why can't people go on a drag hunt ( chasing a false sent), drag hunting us also faster and more thrilling.

I do agree that foxes are pests and yes they do kill my hens, geese, ducks and some times our sheep but at the end of the day thats life the fox has to kill to survive just like every other species. So why pick on the fox. If foxes have to be culled which in some cases yes they do, i don't agree with killing anything but if you were to be killed how would you prefer

A - to be chased around the countryside for a few hours by 40 couples of hounds then ripped to pieces?

or B - Shot ( remember that a rifle won't kill a fox so it would have to be a shot gun which shoots out thousends of pieces of lead), most guns are that powerful that if it hit the fox anywhere it will almost instantly kill it if it doesn't then the gunman would have injured it and can have another plug at it.

or C - Poisioned/ gassed. Which takes about half a day to die.

Well i know i would choose to be shot. In an ideal world then we wouldn't have to kill anything but at the end of the day i don't think that hunting will stop completely but if hunting is going to happen hopefully people will do it as humanly as possible.
tinker1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat