Smoking in public places

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Smoking to be banned in public

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 24

Postby Fidel » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:43 pm

go with ur heart
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:59 am

I'm with you Enigma, it could be banned in selected places. There should be the choice to go somewhere where it is completely banned, but then again, there should be somewhere for smokers to go too. I don't mind smoking in outside public places, but smoking at a table full of non-smokers is out of order.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby smile » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:40 pm

I think smoking should be banned in all public places except pubs. People smoke in pubs all the time. But resteraunts, shops, everywhere except for pubs.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Lorelei » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:00 pm

I want to smoke EVERYWHERE! Boohoo!

But, realistically, I think it's fair for smoking to be banned in most places. I think restaurants should have a smoking section, though, and I DEFINITELY think we should be able to smoke in pubs.xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:48 pm

No one is ever going to agree on this subject and i mean the general public not just this forum. The government are going to force us to conform with some sensible no-smoking rules and some stupid ones. Already nearly our whole lives are monitored and we are told what we can and cant do i think it is a step too far to tell us what to do in our own homes. If they want me to do what they say then they can give me a free house instead of me paying a huge mortgage and i wont pay anymore tax. Then they will own me completely.

It is easy for others to say that ciggies should just simply be banned but then this would drive it all underground and you would get black market even more dangerous ciggies made from god knows what with no regulations.

It is not easy to give up any addiction. People are sympathetic to a point with alcoholics and drug addicts but smokers never get the same response. Addicts choose to do what they do in the first place but actually kicking it is a different story. Drug addicts get medication and whole rehab programmes to give up but smokers have to pay an extortionate amount of money for stupid patches and chewing gums which dont actually help you at all. For me, paying out £20+ a week for patches would leave me further out of pocket than if i smoked.

If i wanted to get help on the NHS i am sure i would be waiting forever to attend a quit smoking group which you have to attend for a few weeks until you are allowed to take the tablets, which also cost a lot of money.

I am constantly told it is a nasty habit and it is dangerous for other people but so is driving whilst using a mobile phone or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I dont steal or mug pensioners to get money for fags and my child doesn't go without food so that i can buy them. I dont consider myself an evil person because i am a smoker.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:39 pm

"For me, paying out £20+ a week for patches would leave me further out of pocket than if i smoked."

Would you not agree with me though in saying that although the cigs don't cost as much as the patches, they will however decrease your life by a considerable amount and therefore you wouldn't be able to spend as much of your life with your family as you would possibly like to?

All the best

Ashley
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby saz » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:59 pm

Well yes but for me the patches dont actually work and would therefore either be worn whilst still smoking or be used once and sit in a drawer somewhere. The patches still carry health risks. The companies who produce these things are onto a winner because people are on and off of them for most of their lives. If they were really that good (or free or cheaper), everyone would be on them and would have stopped smoking by now! The majority of people who use patches revert back to smoking pretty soon after stopping using them, in fact i dont know a single person who has managed to give up completely using nicotine patches. Please stand up if you are out there!!!

Also, regarding money, if i dont have any spare money then i cut down on cigs, not smoking as many until i am able to buy some but if i was using patches i would HAVE to keep buying them for months on end. This isn't always possible is it because at some point i wouldn't have the money to hand and would end up smoking again probably.

i have actually worked in the NHS for years now, and seen smoking statistics, and people who are ill with smoking related diseases. I have also seen the effects of alcohol and drug abuse and believe me, it is not pretty either. As a smoker you lead a completely normal life, the same as a non-smoker but if you are addicted to drugs and alcohol obviously your whole life revolves around your addiction and the health risks are high too.

I know it isn't good for me, i know all the risks involved but unfortunately i need more than a plaster to help me give up.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:07 am

Yes I agree the patches are a waste of money
If you want to give up its as simple as this willpower and 100% commitment 8)
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:15 pm

I think that smoking in a pub is okay as a pub is a sociable place, and so smoking is too.
But in resturaunts - even in pubs, I think it should be banned. Even though I'm a smoker, I dont particularly like to be surrounded by smoke while I'm eating!

Giving up - I've tried so many times, and each time I'm failed miserably! You have to have the willpower and want to actually give up to be able to do it successfully.

K x
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:42 pm

"As a smoker you lead a completely normal life, the same as a non-smoker"

I agree, both can develop lung cancer through different ways of inhailing smoke. ;)

Seriously though, from what i've read here with smokers saying "if you havent got the will power, you can't give up" i'm just curious as to whether most smokers are "weak minded" individuals. I currently think this because you can't seem to bring yourself to give up smoking and also the question "what made you start smoking?" must also be asked. Most people answer with "because of stress" Again, no offense but isn't letting stress push you towards smoking making you week minded in the sense that you can't take a hold of the situation and sort out the actual problem yourself, yet you manage to convince yourself that a bit of nicotine solves your problems?

I'm not trying to cause offense, i'm just really curious as to what your thoughts are on what i've stated.

All the best

Captain Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby misatok11 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:48 pm

As for the weak minded part i totally disagree. I just don't see why i should give up!

My health is my health. Drinking causes more health related problems that anything else but is seen to be more socially acceptable.
I cant remember the last time i smoked a cigarette and then later on i passed out in a pool of vomit. I know this is an extreme example but it does happen.

How many people do you know who are violent and abusive whwn on cigarettes, not alot?

I cant remember why or when i started smoking but i find it nice and relaxing.

These are my rambling i know but when was the last time you saw a health warning on a bottle of vodka?
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:58 pm

You can keep comparing the cigs to drink and drugs all you want, I don't do any of them (yes, I am being honest, and before you ask, no, i'm not religious)

I just stated my opinion ;)

Try flying, thats relaxing ;)

All the best

Capt Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby saz » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:46 pm

I think of myself as a strong and independent minded woman - who just so happens to be a smoker. I would be the same if i stopped. I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. Smoking is a bad habit i have picked up over the years and it is now part of my life. I dont smoke because i have problems or stress, and i didn't start because of that. It doesnt fix or help anything it is a waste of time and money, i do know this. I started smoking because i wanted to try it. My parents smoked and i never thought i would get addicted like this.

Why is it Captain Flynn that you think smokers who are fully adult, aware of the risks and expense continue to smoke? Why do millions of people all over the world carry on smoking knowing that it is dangerous? It is because it is highly addictive. Yep people have given up with willpower and stupid patches, but the majority of people cannot do it. These people may well be 'stronger minded' but it could also be that their addiction levels were not as high as others, therefore making withdrawal easier. All smokers have tried giving up at times but most cant.

As a non smoker it is impossible for you to understand this. Being addicted to something doesn't just affect your mind as such (in that it is weak), it is also your body because of the habit of holding one too. Your brain tells you that you need a ciggie and the urge really is uncontrollable. You start to figet and get irritable because the nicotine levels have dropped. I can control the urge for a certain period, sometimes a whole day but it will always get me in the end.

The same can be said for obesity. Why do people carry on eating knowing that it is bad for their health and they should lose weight? Why do people ravage their body with drugs? Mainly because they are addicted, enjoy it and have chosen that is the way they will live their life. Might not be right for you but it is up to them what they do with their lives.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:55 pm

"Why is it Captain Flynn that you think smokers who are fully adult, aware of the risks and expense continue to smoke?"

Excellent question.... Addiction is a bad thing ;)

As a non-smoker it gives me the incentive to be proud that i'm not addicted to harming my health. Wouldn't you say thats something to be proud of?

What you have to understand is that unlike most i've been able to avoid smoking, drinking and taking drugs and I don't regrete it one bit.

The key to giving up is to take it one day at a time, you know.

All the best,

Captain Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby saz » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:07 pm

yeah by all means be proud of who you are but you have to understand that even though i smoke and do drink, i am still proud of myself too for different reasons. I know they are bad habits and i am addicted (not to drinking i might add!) but i dont see them as a character flaw. Perhaps they are but i dont think i have let myself down too badly.

I have had my fair share of problems growing up and sometimes count myself lucky to be where i am today. Things could have been a lot different.

To be honest up until this topic i dont really give it all much thought. I have lots going on with baby, house, relationship, work and family that giving up smoking isn't that high on my agenda. When i have more time to give it a proper go, i may well try it but i dont think it is even worth giving it a half-hearted attempt at the moment there doesn't seem much point. You need to be totally focused - i wouldn't be right now.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat