Smoking in public places

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Smoking to be banned in public

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 24

Postby Smiler_Princess » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:19 am

I agree that smoking should be banned in all public places bar the pub.

Love

Tammy
:roll:
Smiler_Princess
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby KoRn_Freak » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:01 pm

I think it's a dirty habit, much like picking your nose.

I don't think anyone deserves to go into a public place and get a faceful of smoke, especially if there are asthma sufferers amongst the crowd, and children. I despise the smell of smoke, and hate the fact that both my parents smoke.

My clothes and hair stink because of them, and the animals have to inhale it too, which I think is grossly unfair.
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby mariamaria » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:33 pm

Okay. I think that smoking should be banned in places like restaraunts but it definitely should not be banned in places like the street and our very own homes. That's my opinion.

Why did I start smoking? I started for two reasons. One is my mother was doing it. Two is I thought it looked cool to be seen smoking. I started at age 13. At that age, all you want to do is be cool and thats all that I wanted to do. Be cool. And popular. So I smoked. So did my friends. My mother even bought me cigarettes when I was 14. She knew that I smoked and yet she bought me cigarettes and if she didn't, she would give me a cigarette or two.

I agree that smoking should not be conducted around children or asthma sufferers, however, you can't just tell a person to quit smoking. It takes a lot of work to quit as somebody mentioned before, smoking is highly addictive.

mariamaria
Last edited by mariamaria on Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:23 pm

It is a disgusting habit, but it's your choice - it's your body, and your health.
I started smoking at the age of 14 - again, because it was "cool" and I guess I felt more "in" with the crowd.
But now I look back and regret starting smoking, just because it was "cool" and "in" back then - at the age I am now, it doesn't matter if you smoke or not to be "in".

But, I'm now a smoker, and to be honest if I really wanted to give up, I would have done by now - I obviously dont. Smoking is a part of me I guess. But I hope one day I will quit.

K xx
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:13 pm

"But, I'm now a smoker, and to be honest if I really wanted to give up, I would have done by now"

How old are you? My nan is in her 60's and she tried giving up, but like most smokers she failed.

As for smoking to look cool, it's almost laughable. Lets suppose you developed lung cancer, would that be cool? Come to think of it, how would you react if tomorrow, you was diagnosed with lung cancer?

Captain Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby X_Smiler_X » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:18 pm

Well I'm afraid thats the chance you take being a smoker. I smoke because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to.
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:22 pm

Wanting to seems quite ironic to me. Taking the chance seems ironic too.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Llisa » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:47 am

I don't think, captain_flynn that you can judge those who smoke if you've never been there yourself. I personally can't see why people just can't quit, but then again, I've never smoked in my life so I have no idea how addictive it is or how hard it is to stop.
Those who smoke know exactly what they're doing. Most have even tried to stop...some don't want to. We have to give them the benefit of the doubt though. It's a lifestyle that they've chosen, just like drinking or taken drugs. Those too are harmful for those who abstain from them. It's something we just have to live with and cope with as best as possible.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:01 am

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but as I suffer from asthma their smoking can affect me greatly, hence why all of my friends are non-smokers.

Capt Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby mariamaria » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:55 am

It's not easy to quit smoking. I know. I've tried. Why? Because if you see somebody smoking, you get tempted. You want one. You want to hold a cigarette in your hand and inhale all its toxic fumes. Smoking gives the smoker a buzz. And it's legal.

If I ended up with lung cancer tomorrow, I would have to quit. I would have no choice. But right now, you only live once. And if you choose to risk your health during your one life, I suppose that you can.

Non-smokers don't tend to understand how addictive smoking is. We all start for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately it stays with us for as long as we want it to. I don't like the idea of smoking, and I have tried several times to quit. I managed to quit for a whole year! However, it all came back. It doesn't help when your mother and your sister are always around you and they smoke. It's tempts you to have one. That's how it all started...again.

mariamaria
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby saz » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:52 am

In this debate is there no blame to be laid on parents, tobacco companies or perhaps schools? A lot of people start when they are under 16, young and impressionable people. I was about 14 when i started but i cant really remember why or when, i just wanted to try it. My parents smoked and they were ok, so why not? When you are that age, thinking about 40 years time when you might be ill is laughable because the majority of teenagers 'live for the moment' and dont look ahead. By the time you are looking ahead, you are addicted.

The tobacco companies have known for a long time the health risks associated with smoking. They have made no effort to change the way cigs are made, with less harmful substances perhaps. The government will never ban smoking because they make an unbelievable amount of money out of it. If cigs were banned tax would shoot up - would this be fair on non-smokers? I dont think they would be very happy about it to be honest. The government dont really care about our health, it is our money they want whatever way they get it.

When i was at school the subject of smoking was briefly covered in a lesson but perhaps schools should be holding proper quit smoking sessions, teaching children about the serious implications instead of just telling them it is bad? Kids see smoking as something edgy and because it is not allowed, even better!

Parents who smoke are also partly to blame. Children grow up with smoking, so it just seems natural to progress onto it themselves. Their parents aren't ill from it so they dont really understand what the harm is. Well that is what i thought when i was younger. Also, it was easier to smoke because my parents couldn't lecture me over it, because they did it.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:01 am

Smoking should be banned. The only reason it is being continued is because of goverments recivening billions in tax. Im srry for bringning politics into this but it is true. I wish we ahd a decent goverment who did'nt lie or recive money through the detahs of their own 'people'.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:12 am

Lots of really good points have been made in this topic so far. I don't mean this in a nasty way, but some of the comments made come across as if the person has become weak in their will power. I can empathise with the predicament, because we all do things that we know we should probably change but never get around to doing it.

It seems like quite a selfish thing to supplement the dangers in the world that could end your life a lot sooner than later. I can empathise with that also, since my diet isn't going particularly well and I keep meaning to go back to my gym in order to get healthy again.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:09 am

Since I gave up smoking I can smell smoke from someone who is right down the road
It gets right up my nose if you know what I mean
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat