Schoolyard Violence

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Llisa » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:10 pm

Can I just point out not for the sake of argument that it's not ALL of America that has easy access to guns. It's the United States that have easy access to guns, and yes, they do have school shootings which is terribly unfortunate, but like Sovs has said, they do have VERY strict security systems in place. Some schools even have the teachers teaching from behind bullet proof glass.
This of course is definitly not ideal in any way, and it's a shame that it happens, but don't forget that ANYONE can have access to knives, no matter what country they are in, as well as other object that can cause just as much damage.
Its not a problem for just one country, every country has the exact same chance of this happening, and in my mind, it has everything to do with the environment that a child is raised in.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:18 pm

Well said Llisa =D>
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:15 pm

Personally I think there is no dicipline in schools anymore and the kids behave the way they want because they know they are going to get away with it
I was at school in the 80's and we didnt have security doors guns knives or anything like they do today and that was only a few years ago
If you was naughty you feared the Headmaster
Today kids just laugh
Name and shame them even if they are under 16 even criminal cases
The last decade or so has seen a decline in dicipline and now the kids are getting away with everything
I was naughty at school like other kids just harmless fun basacally
But we didnt get knives out or guns
I think the school needs a massive overhaul
I will be very choosy where my son goes to school
He will grow up with respect and honesty and know right from wrong
In fact the whole system in this country sucks
Anyone agree?? 8)
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Mr.L » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:42 pm

I dont want to sound like im better than anyone else because im not. I go to a grammar school and well we muck about and have like in the playground and stuff but thats harmless fun. Theres a local school which some of my friends go to and its a comprehensive. they get worse marks and their school can be really violent. Its full of idiots at times too who are jsut looking for a fight.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:26 am

Just some philosophy here, but if we use some of the suggestions used here that would have been adopted from the USA, will the British children actually attend school? Attendance rate is poor anyway, but if kids feel like they're being subjected to feeling like they are criminals and having to walk through metal detectors before class...etc they may skip school even more and use the excuse that they feel intimidated and singled out.

Captain Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ms 6275 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:48 am

well letting them run the schools isnt making them go to school and right now the kids are running the schools.

if some of the perants cared more about their kids then they would be made to go to school and they would teach them right from wrong
I am nobody and Nobody is perfect Therefore, I must be perfect - can't remember

Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering - yoda

If it can go wrong it will go wrong - sods law
ms 6275
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:38 am

One issue is having access to weapons.
The other issue is using them.

I have access to these things. If I wanted to get a gun, I know where I could get one. If I wanted to get drugs, I know where I could get them. And a really sharp knife is readily accessible. But I don't want to use those things.

The focus should be on influencing children not to want to use weapons. And therefore focus should be placed on education, which doesn't just mean education at schools, it's the nurturing at home. Without that essential education from home it is obvious to see why children, future adults, want to be violent - because they feel they need to.

The issues at the foundations of this topic do not just affect this topic, they have long term effects on people all through their lives. If the issues at the foundations of this topic are not prevented or resolved at an early age, then we have criminals in the making. And thus the cycle continues, that's society, and that's the reality.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:56 am

Well said Enigma 8)

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:46 am

Well said enigma pretty much what i think that how children are raised affects their whole lives. Parents have a duty to send a 5 year old to school who is well behaved, knows the difference between right and wrong and would never dream of bullying or stabbing someone.

Did you know that a recent survey revealed that a significant level of 5 year olds being sent to primary school cant read or write at all, or use the toilet properly or eat normally? These parents seem to think you just leave it until school time!!!! Of course you start reading and writing before age 5 otherwise they will be very behind. These poor kids dont have a chance if this is how they are brought up and it isnt for the schools to bring children up.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:21 am

Yes I agree it isnt up to the school its up to the parents to be good parents
I blame it on society and the way it is today

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:13 pm

Hmm, no one's objected my comments yet.
This is a bit unusual, lol.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:19 pm

Just flicking back to america. The problem will never be the same here as they have a much more violent culture than us. Nevertheless this is a one-off incident and could the hysteria clm down a bit please. Ok, it was a big thing but it doesn't need to be a major security alert
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:36 pm

Be speicific Fidel. AS I said in my earlier post, America does not have a violent culture...you are talking specifically about the US...
And I disagree with you on that point. There are other countries of which neewd not be named that have even more serious problems then the US...such as your child can barely walk to school without seeing a killling, or having a knife pulled on them. It's a sick world that we live in and the only thing we can do to help the future generations is to raise up the quality of living right now.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:38 pm

What makes me mad is parents letting there kids walk to school on their own.
My mum always used to walk me to school and then when i went to secondary school i would get a lift with my step dad and walk back once i was 14.
I used to get droped there because its about a miles walk if not a bit more, but i used to love walking back.
But when you see kids from middle school walking along on their own it makes me mad, its as if the parents dont care about them.
When i look back, i always remember my mum being there and im glad i have these memories and im going to make sure my son has them too.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:40 pm

I think the USA claims it is a civilized country though and we're talking about the western civilization as they say here. Have u ever seen Bowling for Columbine.
And btw - I was just talking about america the country coz if u think about it it's the united states of america so its just shortened. However if i meant ur beloved Canada i would have said North America
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat