How does wintertime affect you?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Llisa » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:21 pm

Canada is famous for its winters. I don't mind the cold at all and hardly notice it, but I do become more sensitive and weepy in the winter. Probably a mild case of SAD but overall I really like winter. I'm a hardcore skiier and snowboarder and the mountains around here are great!
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:57 pm

Nice lisa
I wish our winters were like that
Do you have all the locals get very xmassy at xmas time in Canada?? :)
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:47 am

I prefer the winter also.

Demographics and Statistics
Seasonal affective disorder, occurring during the winter months, appears to vary according to latitude, age and sex. At higher latitudes (farther North), there are more cases of seasonal affective disorder. Since sunlight decreases with higher latitude, the length of day appears to be a factor. It also tends to be colder in the winter, with harsher conditions and storms, as you travel farther North.

Younger people appear to be diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder more frequently than older people. This may be related to a tendency of younger people to look at seasonal factors as causal in their depression, or it may suggest a biological pattern related to aging.

Women are far more likely to be diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder than men. There are many possible reasons for this. Women with small children are more likely to be isolated during the winter months, while those with careers are not. Men are less likely than women to be home caretakers for small children. Statistics are not available regarding differential rates between working and non-working women. Also, women have higher rates of major depression as well. It is not clear whether the higher rates of seasonal affective disorder are simply part of that gender difference, rather than being evidence of another disorder.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:05 am

Christmas is a huge event over here...it's very commerialized which is something I don't agree with...but what have you. The store begin advertising for Christmas on Nov. 1 and can drag it out to the middle of January.
I think this is how Canadian's deal with being coped up in the snow for 6 months out of the year :roll:
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:10 am

In Manchester, England, the decorations went up in and around the stores in October.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:49 am

And I saw some in peoples homes down here in Crawley in the middle/end of october
Crazy #-o
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:52 am

Is no hope for me then i think i must have SAD

Younger people appear to be diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder more frequently than older people.

Women are far more likely to be diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder than men. There are many possible reasons for this. Women with small children are more likely to be isolated during the winter months, while those with careers are not.

Still feel miserable with the horrible cold weather :(
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:02 am

When going past a few houses I've had to turn my head because they've got their christmas lights up! How stupid is that? I mean that was last month sometime. Also a few years ago they never used to put up the christmas stuff until halloween was over but now they do it before Halloween. I think it ruins it slightly. Knowing you have another two and a half months of Christmas music playing in shops seems really silly.

But with the S.A.D. it seems to be quite common then? I find my skin tends to suffer now. It gets all dry and tight. :-?
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:18 am

Thing is when you have a baby, if you go out then you have to wrap them all up in coats and hats that they keep pulling off and when they are really small you spend the whole time checking to see whether they are too cold and switching the heating on and off. Getting up in the night to see to a baby is horrible in the winter too. My daughter doesn't like the cold wind and i certainly dont like it.

Before i had her i used to dread getting up in the mornings in winter because i knew i would have to freeze to death de-icing the car then drive across black ice and snow.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Previous

Return to Chit Chat