Influence of 'famous people' - good or bad?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Influence of 'famous people' - good or bad?

Postby Stef » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:26 pm

Anyone care to state their opinion on the influence so called "famous people" have on the general public?

I personally feel at one time you could look up to them as good role models, in general their behavour was acceptable.

Nowadays aren't they always in the paper for all the wrong reasons like drugs/drink/sex/clinics/violence/weight issues... and just about everything else?
You only get one chance at it - so let's all give it our best shot.
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:36 pm

I have to agree with you on this one.

It disgusts me how they think they can do anything they want, and then kids think if their doing it why not them too.
And i know for a fact the spice girls are disgracefull. My brothers partner works at gatwick airport and had to take them through to a private room, when they got there all they did was boss her about like she was their skivy and then ignored her.

And look at Britanny Spears, shes run out of ideas so she thinks, I know i'll get my breasts out that will keep me in the spot light. When all it does is make her look like a tart!

Still they never last longer than a few years if their lucky any way.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Stef » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:39 pm

Wouldn't it be much wiser for people to aspire to be like truly great people. For example, people who save lives, people that go out of their way to be charitable, basically anyone who makes a REAL difference to someone's life?
You only get one chance at it - so let's all give it our best shot.
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby X_Smiler_X » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:47 pm

I think it's terrible how young girls look at famous people like Britney Spears, and models and think "Hmm, I have to look like that!" and then lose far too much weight, and end up becoming aneorexic.
It;s not just the weight, it's the size of breasts, hips, hair, legs...everything.

I know for a fact I would never look at anyone famous and want to be like them - I never have done, and never will.
I'm my own person, and I love the way I am - everyone else shouls feel the same :D
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:50 pm

I totally agree with what you say
You should be yourself
That is one thing that attracts me to a girl
Which is what I love in sovs :P
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:55 pm

:D Your definately right - If you act like someone your not, the other person is becoming attracted to the person your not.

Thats what my boyfriend always says to me :D
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Llisa » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:04 pm

role model
A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate. Someone worthy of imitation

I look around and I see role models everywhere...firemen(women, what have you), doctors, nurses, teachers, the little old lady who lives down the street...these are the real role models of today.
If I wanted my child to grow up abusing drugs, have carefree sex, posing nude for magazines, complaining and going to court to get a larger salary then your $2 million an episode paycheque..and BROADCASTING it around the world; then I would turn to the 'celebrities' of today.
I realize there are exceptions to every rule...but I mean, come on people...
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:03 pm

Celebrities like Britany Spears and others really really seriously get on my nerves. I cant stand anything about them. I would be horrified if my daughter aspired to look or behave like her she is the worst influence on kids today. There was a lot of fuss over her first video in which she dressed as a school girl. There was talk that it was encouraging the sort of men who are interested in children and playing on that innocent child thing that some evil people find attractive. This made me dislike her instantly. Her music is a load of durge and is loaded with sexual things.

When i was growing up i think i looked up to Kylie more. Ok so she wears skimpy clothes now but in the 90's she never did and i really loved her (i am 23 now)!! She really was squeaky clean and my mum was quite happy for me to like her.

I just cant stand all the sleaziness of todays celebs. It makes me sick. They just have so much money and not once ounce of taste. They dont have enough talent to make it on that alone so have to strip off and writhe about. I was disappointed to see Beyonce going down that road because she has enough talent without doing any of that.

I have to say, Victoria Beckham is not a bad role model. She has never done drugs or been drunk in the papers, and is a devoted working mum and wife. She might not be the nicest person ever young children dont know and nor do we really.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:17 pm

I hate celebrities. The only people who deserve to be queued up for are real legends like Bono,Bowie, Nelson Mandela and Fidel Castro.
Britney Spears and J-Lo do nothing and they act as such bad role models. J-Lo is such a freak she told staff in the balmoral not to make eye contatc with her and she has to have a white room with a fridge full of soya milk. Now, is she worth all the hype. Bad actress, bad singer - completely talentless - yet Bono - a world peace ambassador who gives money to AIDS would not be looked upon as highly if he were in edinburgh yesterday.
Just to reiterate I saw Beyonce and missy elliot yesterday b4 the MTV awards. I also was threatened by the Police as i threw my wrapped up chewing gum at j-lo
hehe

Fidel
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:19 pm

Hmm, famous people are just people doing what people can do. It's true that people aspire to be like particular famous people, but people also aspire to be like non-famous people too. Why do people aspire to be like famous people more than they do non-famous people though? How many times did I just use the word 'people'? He he...
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:20 pm

J-Lo is not people she's a freak. Im weird but she doesnt deserve her money she has done nothing.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:22 pm

Why do you think Jennifer Lopez is a 'freak'?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:23 pm

Did u not read my first post
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:25 pm

I dont like her music but i love her films, i got Enough, the wedding planner and maid in manhatten, great films :wink:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:27 pm

Enough???
oh dear
I left that film and the girl i was with before the end as both were mince. Havibng said that it was a woman's film so i wasnt expecting to enjoy it
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Chit Chat