Influence of 'famous people' - good or bad?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby saz » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:55 pm

Ohhh Mariamaria it is sooo easy to say
Be good role models and try to emphasise this difference so that your children need not look up to role models such as Britney Spears. They were not born to be role models nor were they meant to be. YOU are.

Up until the age of 3 or 4, parents are a childs world. When they go to school all hell breaks loose. If other parents are not doing the same job as me, then their children will be looking up to pop stars/other children/film stars, and then my children wont want to be left out and start following too. This is just the way the world is. Doesn't matter how good a parent i am, they will still fantasise about pop stars, want to be like them, want to dress like them, want to buy their music. There is no way out of it at all. Ok so they might not be obsessive or anything but it is all part of growing up. And if their idol behaves badly, i do worry that they will copy. Children are so impressionable and i hope that my children WONT be influenced by these people, but i can only try my best. I will post on here in 10 years to let you know whether my daughter is copying the latest trends.

Plus, there are so many other things to worry about when you are a parent, health, growth, accidents, school etc, buying the latest pop star merchandise and worrying about the implications are the least of your worries. Plenty of parents dont want to deprive their children of these things because they feel mean, when all their friends have it, they want it too. There is a lot of pressure on parents these days. You want to make your child happy but also want to do the best by them.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:00 pm

Also on another point, making a life for themselves money wise is one thing but most famous people have so much money they dont even know what to do with it. My partner and i would work ourselves into the ground to make a comfortable life for ourselves, but would give up once we reached a certain point because what is the point in having it if you cant enjoy it?

I dont like the way that celebs live in their own little world, surrounded by uneccesary minders and security, expect the world to stop for them when they click their fingers. Some even pay to adopt children so that they dont have to take time off work with pregnancy, or risk losing work through a dodgy figure (really this is the case most celebs can easily have their own children). I have nothing against adoption it just reinforces my beliefs that they really do put a price on everything.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Previous

Return to Chit Chat