Influence of 'famous people' - good or bad?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Fidel » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:15 pm

Why does everybody respect people in co-ordinance as to how much money they have???

Money is nothing in society

It's pathetic people's greed

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:18 pm

Tash was nice without them and fidel if only we could live in an enviroment with equality but it cant be.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby saz » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:48 pm

There are people in the world who work a lot harder for better causes than pop stars and who dont get a fraction as much money or respect for it. This is what i meant.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Stef » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:37 pm

And that's exactly the point I was trying to make Saz - but failed to put it in words.
You only get one chance at it - so let's all give it our best shot.
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:59 am

Okay, here I go.

I don't mind famous people. I don't mind them because I don't look up to them as role models. I admire them for their music or their films, or in the case of men, for their good looks. Hehe. But it's not their fault that they want to live their lives with the money that they want.

Nobody demands that you buy their music or buy their films. You can download them for free, ya know. You don't have to waste your precious money on something you enjoy that you fear is a complete nuisance. Music is music. Music moves with the times. It's for the newer generation who enjoy it. Films are films. Mainly blockbuster films are just entertainment. Nothing more. Once you've seen it once, there's no need to buy the video or the DVD and see it over and over and over again unless you really are that fascinated with the movie, which is highly unlikely.

My next point is that there are some good singers out there who sing some good songs for example Janet Jackson, Christina Aguilera, Michael Jackson DEFINITELY and Ms. Dynamite. Listen to Ms. Dynamite's songs. THey are one of the most inspirational songs that I have ever heard. Yes there are some swear words but they seriously help her to make her point and it's not like rap music such as Eminem's music where there's a swear word left right and centre.

Famous people aren't meant to be role models. THey're just out there making a living and enjoying themselves while they're at it. Why they get a lot of stick for it is completely ridiculous because I cannot stand people who sit on their bums all day and judge people they have never even met before in their life.

I think that will do for now. I'm slightly cheesed off now.

Goodbye.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Stef » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:52 pm

Thanks for your point of view Mariamaria.

Your right, we shouldn't judge people we don't know. Still think they've a responsibility to influence our young in a positive way.
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:55 pm

No, you may not realize it but WE influence our young more than they do. Think about it.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Stef » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:14 pm

But they are SO impressionable and it's hard to get them to follow in you're law abiding footsteps when film/pop stars is all they care about!
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:16 pm

sad eh?
I don't believe in being rich or famous
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Stef » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:17 pm

It is sad. I've never been one to hog the limelight but a little extra money wouldn't go amiss!! :lol:
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Smiler_Princess » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:54 pm

lol stef. :lol:

It's alot more than money though isn't it; you have to have the whole package :roll:
"Because we can't call people without wings angels, we call them friends"

"I never wanted to be different...I just wanted to be me"
Smiler_Princess
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:44 pm

It isn't all about the money to me but when you are in my situation it is so easy to feel a bit bitter. My partner and i have worked really hard in our lives, still do but we dont have much to show for it. There is no affordable housing or help with childcare. Yeah my money is pretty precious, i need it to bring up my daughter, feed and clothe her not give to someone else who has enough already just for a bit of entertainment. I have never met those people and cant judge them, i was judging the whole celebrity over-paid thing, no one in particular. And i do like Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson and other artists and i do watch films but i dont like the hype or pay that they get for what they do. None of them have ever 'changed my life' or anything.

Dont you think that the amount of money people get paid nowadays for singing, dancing or playing football is absolutely stupid? When our health service is suffering, there are people living in poverty and other things the money could be spent on. Getting £15 million for a few weeks work acting and promotion, just for who you are DOES make me angry, not because i want it for myself but as i already said, there are people in this world who devote their whole lives to things they love - helping other people, say in poor countrys and get nowhere near as much respect as say Tom Cruise.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:08 pm

Do u know that capitalism doesn't work? The harder u work the less money u get and look at Jennifer Lopez - she could appear in an advert for 12 secs and get £1 million

sad

thats the only word
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:13 pm

Famous people have the right to be famous if they want to be. They are most likely doing it for the money but they are not asking to be role models. They are simply asking for the best life that they can live for themselves. They have money. They work for that money and being famous can be really difficult. A lot of travelling, which can tire you out, plenty of repetition is involved in the songs you sing and the lines you read. It can get very boring. However, they chose to live like that but they did not ask to be role models. The role of role model is for the parents of the children to set a good example on their children and to distinguish the difference between famous people who they will most likely never get to meet and their family and friends who are the closest people to them that they can ever have.

Be good role models and try to emphasise this difference so that your children need not look up to role models such as Britney Spears. They were not born to be role models nor were they meant to be. YOU are.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Jupiter » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:02 pm

the rivh and famous do what they do because they like it. some of them do it because its what they love and would do it even if they didnt get the money for it. what i cant stand is the no-body's from things like big brother who do nothing and get loads of money for it. thats a bad influence in its self, tricking people into thinking you can have out for nout.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat