Recommended Television Viewing

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Recommended Television Viewing

Postby Enigma » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:29 pm

When:
21:00 to 23:00, Sunday, 16 November 2003

Where:
Channel 4

What:
'Adult at 14: Sex Before 16 - Why the Law Is Failing',
'Adult at 14: Pleasureland'

Synopsis:

'Adult at 14: Sex Before 16 - Why the Law Is Failing'

The first in a season of programmes holding a mirror up to the world of young teenagers and asking how adult are they at 14. Journalist and broadcaster Miranda Sawyer argues that the current age of consent is out of step with reality.

'Adult at 14: Pleasureland'

From the producers of Spooks comes Pleasureland, a vibrant, provocative feature-length drama focusing on a group of teenage girls in Liverpool who can't wait to grow up.

Why:
Changes to the Age Of Consent and Sexual Offenses laws will have significant effects on society. For example, a particular change to the Sexual Offenses Act would make it illegal for agony aunts to provide advice about sex to people under the age of sixteen. The programme on Channel 4 will provide arguments for why the age of consent should be lowered to fourteen.
Last edited by Enigma on Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Stef » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:33 pm

Sounds confrontational. You bet I'll be glued to the box!
You only get one chance at it - so let's all give it our best shot.
Stef
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:53 pm

Having done a lot of my 'growing up at 14', i will be watching that programme. I dont want the age of consent to be age 14 though, i think it is way too young. I cant believe they are trying to stop agony aunts giving advice to under 16's, i bet there are plenty of teenagers out there who have benefitted more from agony aunts than schools, doctors or parents.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jupiter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:59 pm

i'll be watchiung it. however i dont think the age of consent should be lowered. i think 16 is low enough.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby depman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:57 pm

Yes keep it at 16
otherwise you will get 11-12 year olds growing up too quick and could cause all sorts of problems
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Llisa » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:18 pm

That's awful...I wish I could see that program. How much lower do they want to put the age?! 14 years old...I'm sorry and no offense to anyone who lost their firginity at 14, but come on...it seems to me that a great deal of my friends who lost theirs at ages 15-18 weren't old enough...never mind 14.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jupiter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:26 pm

anyone i know who lost their virginity early has regretted it, i was 19 and i regret it, never mind when i was 14.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:29 am

I was planning on watching it anyways just to see what these people have to say for themselves because lowering the age of consent to 14 is just pure ridiculous. One of the countries I think it's either Sweden or something has their age of consent at something ridiculous like 12 or something. I don't know what's happening to the world.

Any clues?
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Llisa » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:46 pm

Legal age for girls in Spain is 13. In Argentina and Chile the age is 12...as in some other countries. There are MANY countries where the law is already at 14...and under.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:06 pm

Each country is entitled to their own laws and no matter how civilized or not u think ur country is u must respect that these countries chose to do so and it probably lessens teenage pregnancy.
Just remember in ur country it's legal to buy guns and in this country that may be frowned upon.

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:18 am

Another possible change to the Sexual Offenses bill would make it illegal for people below the age of sixteen to kiss or pet each other. What are your thoughts about this?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:16 am

how does LOWERING the legal age LESSEN teenage pregnancy?
HE has all the answers

Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby mariamaria » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:07 pm

Exactly. I don't understand how lowering the legal age will lower teenage pregnancies.

People under the age of sixteen in my opinion should be able to kiss or to pet each other. That's just my opinion. But that's as far as it should go. Then again, kissing and petting can lead to other things, so I'm not quite sure on this topic. :-?
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Fidel » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:19 pm

Read between the lines
The only reason folk have sex unprotected at my age is coz theyre scared of being caught and it's done hastily
If it's legal; then its not so big a deal and people will take more precautions

I thought u may have been a wee bit more clever than that. Anyway thats why they do it. Takes away the novelty value and soit's run of the mill and they can take precautions thus lowering teenage pregnancy.

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jupiter » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:11 pm

however, and again no offence to anyone, at 14 people are less likely to use protection anyway and are less mature, whereas people over 16 will usually use protection and are a little bit more mature to understand the consequences.

to be honest i think that partly lowering the age is just for the sake of the government statistics - if something becomes a problem they just make it legal. if the statistics of underage pregnancies is too high they lower the legal age and then if someone who is 14 becomes pregnant it is no longer a bad statistic for the government and it looks like they have improved underage pregnancy statistics when in actual fact all they have done is changed the legal age to have sex.

i thinkn it would be irrisponsable to change the law and would really effect how i feel about the government we have in place and their suitability to run the country.

sorry i got all political on the end there its just how i feel. :lol:
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat