Weddings - Waste of money or once in a lifetime experience?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Weddings - splurge or save?

Understated but lovely wedding
85%
Pull out all the stops and splurge on it
15%

Total votes : 13

Weddings - Waste of money or once in a lifetime experience?

Postby saz » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:33 pm

I just wondered what people thought about weddings - not marriage itself, the weddings. My sister is getting married and wants an large high cost one, with lots of trimmings, a lovely dress, nice food, posh cars in a big hotel or something.

I am trying to get her to cut it down a bit, i think it will be lovely but i dont want her to be in debt forever over one day. I would like a nice wedding but it is about getting married and spending your life together not impressing your relatives. She knows this but for her it is like a dream and i think is being a bit unrealistic about it.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bubble » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:45 pm

I think that you should only spend as much as you can afford on your big day. Even with compromises it can still be lovely. And besides, its the love you have for the person you're marrying that counts in the long term.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:53 pm

my husband and I cut costs. The family did the photos as we have some family members good at it! The church cost nothing as our family have been going there for so many years, I got a dress in the sales. The wedding cost around £2,000 and the honeymoon about £1000 of course parents paid most of it. We paid for the honeymoon, rings and my dress etc.

we still had a lovely day and I'll remember it for ever.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:55 pm

I think it would be nice to have a big wedding with all the trimmings but at the end of it, like Donna said, it is the person you're marrying that counts. Weddings are about ebing with the people you love and care about so you should enjoy itno matter how much you spent on it.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Smiler_Princess » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:58 pm

I also think you should spend what you can afford and not go overboard.

saz, maybe you sister wants all this because it is her dream and wants it to be the best and happiest day of her life, with everything being perfect. Well tell her it can still be perfect with less expensive things and it is the love that counts.

I believe any wedding day is the happiest day of your life no matter whether you spend £1,000 on it or £10,000. At the end of the day it all just amounts to the same thing and it doesn't have to be the best of the best to be worthy!

xxx
"Because we can't call people without wings angels, we call them friends"

"I never wanted to be different...I just wanted to be me"
Smiler_Princess
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:04 pm

She is looking at spending about £10,000 and they would need a loan because neither of the parents will pay for anything. I think this is a bit extreme but she really has her heart set on a beautiful dress (wont even look at Berkatex Brides), posh venue, Bentley cars a far away honeymoon and gourmet food. I am trying to help her cut the cost down like i will do the invitations myself and the like but i am worried she is going to end up in mountains of debt.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:29 pm

Weddings are definately worth having, i loved mine and love looking back at the pics.
We spent about £5000 on ours and it was a lovely day.
I just had my step dads friend take me as when you get there everyones inside anyway. And by the time we had put the ribbons on it looked lovely.
Stews brother made the cake, hes a chef it was 5 tiers and beautifully iced and he did it for free as our wedding gift.
Photos were taken by my uncle as he has a great camera and other people gave us theres too.
And also stews other brother did photos to on his digital camera and gave us photos in a beautiful album as our present.
My dress was in the spring sale for £350 instead of £500 and it was gorgous.
My sister in laws a hairdresser and did my hair and nails so i supose i was lucky to have so many talented people :D
We married in a beautiful methodist chursh where i was christened, it was a lovely day.
We have had David christened there since :D
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:09 pm

Our friends did the invites, a family friend did the cake. My Dad and Uncle have Jaguars so we didn't pay for the wedding cars.

One set of our relatives had gourmet food at their wedding and nobody ate it as they didn't like it.

I think every woman dreams of a big wedding but in reality its not always practical we tried to do it on a budget as neither set of parents had much money and we never have had much money.

Saz, your quite right about the debt, its all very well having a big wedding, but it will cause alot of extra stress knowing that the debt has to be paid of. Perhaps she could get a designer dress in a sale, mine was America imported italian silk and cost my £500 in the sale - think other than the reception and honeymoon it was the biggest expense!

Show her these pages and that lovely weddings can be reasonably priced. If they saved on some aspects they could have the big honeymoon. (We went to Lanzarote and staying in a five star hotel as my husband had never been abroad) We saved for a few years to do this though.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Llisa » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:16 pm

My sister owns her own business as a wedding decorator. That means that she does all the bouquets, center pieces, floor arrangements, arches, drapings, chair covers, etc. My sister is a mulit-millionaire. She has done weddings - and remember, this is just the DECORATING - and gotten a paycheque from just ONE wedding, of $60 000. That's about...mmmm...27 000 pounds. That doesn't include the music, food, dresses and rings, rentals...ANYTHING! Sure it's a good business to be in but SO MUCH MONEY?!
I think it's ridiculous. I want to have a nice wedding as much as the next person...but if you're not able to have an over the top wedding, then don't try to! The most simplieset wedding of 50 guests, in someone's backyeard garden are just as nice as the ones filled with 400 guests in the highest priced hotel in town.
This is my problem though...my sister WON'T be decorating at my wedding...lol...I guess I'll have to deal with that monster when I come to it.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jupiter » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:37 pm

i think that weddings should be more about symbolysm than cost. i would be happy with, a simple dress, a simple reception with close family and friends to share the day with. if you can afford a big wedding, with all the trimmings then thats great but to me a simple ceremony, simple reception would do me. whats the point spending too much money on wedding and the receptionwhen it would be better spent on setting up a home for yourself and your partner. but i do love white weddings, but simple is best. elaborate is too much, and it may look nice in a ohoto album but if i were to marry i would like to think of the day that we made the commitment and promised ourselves to eachjother rather than how good the party was.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby scooby*do » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:21 pm

I had a big wedding the first time round because I wanted to do it 'properly' but if I get married again ( I am divorced) I would be happy with a wedding on a smaller scale, in fact I'd rather elope to Gretna Green or something!!

However I would deffo have a good honeymoon like I did the first time, I think it's important to get away on your own if you can :)
scooby*do
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misatok11 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:00 am

Go for it, it should only happen once and the day goes past so quickly. Money is there to be spent and it was the best day of my life.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:19 pm

I agree - weddings are a great idea. To show the person you are marrying you love them. I think it's lovely. xx
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby becky_boop » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:30 pm

Well Im one of those sad people who dreams of a fairytale wedding. I want the sort of wedding barbie would have because she always has the best stuff. (Yes Im a sad individual and proud of it :D )

A few years ago my cousin got married and she went crazy with the whole wedding and everything but to be quite honest it was worth it because it was so beautiful. And its not like itll be all forgotten or anything because she had photos, a video done and she had her bouquet pressed and framed!

Anyway Im too young to be thinking about marriage Im 13 for gods sake! lol! But I think its definitly worth it.
Cant let go...
becky_boop
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Jupiter » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:05 pm

personally i dont think you need the big wedding to show someoen you love them. its about the commitment and not just the party. everyone dreams of a fairytal;e wedding but i would rather have the right man and nop big party. id rather spend the money ons eetting up home.
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat