Your opinion about sports in schools today

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby saz » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:09 pm

If you start the new generation of kids off playing mixed sport i think it would go a long way to teach them to interact and respect the opposite sex. Then as children then adults it would be easier to have mixed sports. You cant start with children of a certain age i think you have to start really young and carry it on right through. I dont like same sex schools, i went to one and i think they are old fashioned and outdated. Children need to learn and grow with the opposite sex.

The problem that you find is that parents influence childrens views, so a sexist parent may raise a sexist child this is what has happened in the past. It happens with racism too, grandad was racist and so is my dad but they have no reason to be like that it has been sort of passed down generations - not to me though i must add! I am not calling anyone here sexist though honestly it is just a little theory of mine.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Lorelei » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:20 am

Well, I absolutely HATED sport at school. I just wanted to stay in an read, write or draw. I "forgot" my PE kit every week. I would have preferred to do something else constructive, as Enigma suggested. I don't think it's fair to force PE. Everyone is different!

Anyway, back to the point: I actually agree with Depman.
There are exceptions to every rule but generally, it is a medical fact that men are physically stronger than women and it's absolutely ridiculous to put boys and girls together for boistrous physical activites.
It's not fair to girls because they will be under so much pressure to compete and are likely to get hurt and it's not fair to boys because they will have to hold back and 'go easy on the girls'. xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:55 am

I think PE is as important as Music, Drama or any other practical activity. People just say that because they don't like it but you'll actually find it has about as much use as maths (the thing that sucks the life from my active body).
I didn't take it at Standard Grade (GCSE) level but just becaue you didn't like it doesn't mean it's not important.

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:36 pm

I never said physical education is not important, I stated that I hated it. Incidentally drama and music were my two chosen subjects, and they are subjects that require lots of rehearsal and practise.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:27 pm

Yes I agree Music and drama do need lots of practise and commitment
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Lorelei » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:32 pm

Don't get me wrong either, I don't think people should be forced into music or drama either. I liked them, but some people just aren't talented at them and it's a waste of time for them... just like people like me aren't talented at sports and they were a waste of time for me!xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:41 am

I think you have to also remember that PE is there to benefit kids - especially the next generation of overweight couch potato children. I also hated certain sports but was happy to do indoor aerobics and trampolining. Children should be given a wide choice of PE and not forced into anything they dont want to do, but encouraged. We should give our kids enough confidence to want to take part.

The primary school i am sending my daughter to in a few years has an indoor swimming pool, which won it for me really because i think swimming is one of the best activities - enjoyable and gets you fit too.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:54 am

That's exactly right Lorelei. If pupils were not forced into drama and music lessons then perhaps the lessons would have been more productive. The thing that seperates music and drama from physical education is that once you get into your fourth year you no longer have to do music or drama but are still forced to attend P.E.[/color]
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:03 pm

I would like to see a wider range of subjects with more flexibility for school children. PE doesn't have to be hockey or football, there are lots of other activities you could do but if a school doesn't have the resources this is difficult. Schools try to get the balance right but it is hard to please all students.

Personally i hated music, art, languages and some PE at school but loved English. We did a lot of english and i was happy about this but i know some people hated it. The thing is the more freedom you give kids on chosing the subjects, you will always get some who take advantage of it but overall it should benefit the majority.

Say for instance you have a wide range of PE activities and you ask a year of pupils to choose from the list, and the top 5 are actually chosen to be offered to the students. You wouldn't always get what you wanted but it is more likely that you would get something you enjoy. This could be done with more subjects too.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Anom » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:40 pm

Personally I love PE. Good job seeing that i am doing a GCSE in it.
We have to make choices in our final two years and my final year I chose trampolining, basketball, gymnastics, gym, netball and five aside. All of which are mixed. Most girls dont choose these options as the guys get really competitive and streesed if they mess up. Thankfully, I am good at these sports and am mates with more guys than girls :roll:

I think PE is important. Normally the girls and guys arent bothered by sharing the sports. Heck, in yr 7, the girls were taught by female teachers for PE and the boys by males. Now, just 5 years on, no gives a dam at all. All taught by whoever teaches that particular sport.

Then theres sports like dance that some opt to do. I consider this a 'girls sport' but does that mean that guys 'cant' do it?? And similary, rugby a 'boys sport' but that doesnt mean that girls shoudlnt be allowed to give it a go surely?

Wasnt there a time when females just didnt do sports? Then they did horse riding (which i do and love - good job as i have my own :roll: ) and tennis, crochet etc. Now we have national temas of nearly every sports. Times are changing and if the kids want to do mixed sports with each other, let them.
Anom
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Smiler_Princess » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:34 pm

Well said Anom! =D>

I totally agree with you there :roll:
"Because we can't call people without wings angels, we call them friends"

"I never wanted to be different...I just wanted to be me"
Smiler_Princess
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:18 pm

I wouldn't have minded doing dance in school.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:20 pm

I used to have to stand at the back because of my very poor coordination lol
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:24 pm

LOL
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:16 pm

I still do that now! LOL Aerobics.... I'm so far back against the back wall... my feet move while my hands don't or vice versa. lol
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat