What do you think of Christmas in the modern day?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What do you think of Christmas in the modern day?

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:09 pm

i went to see elf the other day , n its so true , no one has christmas spirit , no body believes in santa ,i mean like little kids but of corse he was real saint nicholas , maybe he isnt around today but he was , he gave children presents so it means he WAS real , and thats all people think now , christmas is just for presents , thats just a bonus , its should be a time for happieness and family even if u dont go to church! dont u think ?
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby littlemonkey » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:17 pm

i saw it too took my little cousin.

Its true its become about presents now
littlemonkey
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Fidel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:44 pm

I watched Miracle on 34th st. last nite on 5 and It was very touching
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:50 pm

Yeah so did I. Brought back many memories. Even though my family don't go to church, we are still very traditional at Christmas. We still go through the Santa rountine, just for my brother. I still like leaving the old mince pie out, ads to all of the excitement for the next day. And I always love watching my brother writing the all important letter to Santa and then in the morning waking up at 4am or something to check our stockings. I might be a big kid at heart but my brother's face and his excitement is always better than any present.

I think many families still keep up the traditional traditions, especially around where I live. It's all part of Christmas I think.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:53 pm

Yeah but I missed all that because Christmas was not really all that big in the Soviet Union and it took us a while to get financially settled and although we have good christmases it's sad that I didnt experience the magic when I was young. I had never seen a picture of Santa til I moved to Germany
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:01 pm

Awww poor u fidel . I feel for you
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Fidel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:04 pm

Yeah well I do feel genuinely sad that I never experienced it. I feel happy though that my sister has been able to experience it (my younger one that is).
But I have to catch up now. There's some things my friends talk about that I don't know about. Who are Donner and Blitzen (I know it means thunder and storm in German), Who is St. Nicholas and Is he different from Santa? What is Candlemass? Does Santa live at the North Pole or Lappland? I feel really stupid, plus I can never sing many Christmas songs as I never learned the words when I was young
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:18 pm

donner and blitzen are 2 of santa's raindears , i think there are 12 , rudolf , but thats all i can remeber lol , erm no sait nicolas isnt different from santa , or i dont think he is , st nick gave presents to chilren like ages ago when we wasnt alive erm i dont know what candlemass is santa lives in the north pole .
To be honest i am not very much help sorry !
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:22 pm

St. Nick was the actual saint who lived in the 1600s or something. So I think that's where the legend comes from.

There are 9 reindeer:

1.) Dasher

2.) Dancer

3.) Donner

4.) Blitzen

5.) Comet

6.) Cupid

7.) Prancer

8.) Vixon

And.......The most famous of all,

9.) Rudolph
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:24 pm

Lovely thanx. I feel really stupid coz everyone knows about Christmasbut It's fairly new to me as it's only my 6th in the country but we've only really celebrated it the last 4
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:30 pm

god smile u just av to show me up lol
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:30 pm

fidel do any of the raindears names mean anything else in german?
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:30 pm

No need to feel stupid, we learn all the time.

Ask your friends about what traditions they do. I still have an advent calender...yes even though I'm 16. lol

So if you think about it, many traditions are still kept. Although many people complain the world is changing too quickly, it's not really. We still manage to enjoy and celebrate the things we want.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:34 pm

Yeah I went out and bought my first advent calender this year. And no only Donner and Blitzen are German

Thanx very much I feel so left out tho and scared to ask them coz they just do it naturally all that Christmas stuff
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:42 pm

We don't do it naturally. We all had to learn and once you know what they're talking about it will make you feel better. I'm sure they would rather that you would join in the conversation rather than not know what they're talking about.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Chit Chat