Irreversible

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Llisa » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:12 pm

If I know something has things like that in it...I won't even bother looking for it in the movie store.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:19 pm

Have you seen 'Last House On The Left' Fidel? That film has two scenes of rape in it. It was released in 1972 and just like 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', which was released two years later in 1974, the content doesn't seem as horrific by today's standards of horror and gross-out. The same applies for 'The Exorcist' too, which was released inbetween in 1973, because although the story is disturbing by comparison to today's releases the action doesn't affect us the same way it did back then.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:23 pm

GAH! I have to disagree...I had to watch clips of 'The Exorcist' in one of my highschool English classes and her crabwalking down those stairs backwards terrified me for months! Blood and guts and gore don't affect me too much, but anything supernatural terrifies me
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:35 pm

Ive seen the texas chainsaw massacre but not the first one
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:00 am

I watched the Exorcist because my Dad had told me all about it and how bad it was etc. Then we finally watched it a few months back on tv and although it was quite disturbing (I didn't like the bit where she is sitting on the end of her bed near the end... oeerr) it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Times are changing and I think that the horror and violance in films are changing with it. So is language, I was talking to someone the other day and they were telling me about the first time a film had swearing in it. It shoked everyone apparantly. Now nearly every film has swearing in it, even PGs have mild swearing. Is it really needed in a kids film?
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:35 am

No it shouldnt be in a kids film
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:58 pm

In England, for those who don't know, a new film rating was recently introduced called the '12A Certificate'. Like 'PG' means 'Parental Guidance', this new certificate means that someone under the age of 12 can go to watch the feature presentation as long as they are with an Adult. 'Spiderman' for example is rated '12A', and contains lots of fantasy violence.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:11 pm

I don't know how much the ratings differ from the UK to Canada...but here we have G, PG, PG13, 14A, AA, and R. It shocks me still to see what it takes for a movie to 'earn' a PG13 rating. A PG13 movie can have 1 swear word in it (swear being of the F variety), but all the sexuality and violence you can imagine. Isn't there a saying that says actions speak louder then words? I wouldn't allow my neices or nephews to see Pirates of the Caribbean. I love that movie, don't get me wrong, and as far as I can remember, there is no swearing of any kind in it. But there is a ton of typical pirate violence not to mention the fantasy skeletal scenes. And it only has a PG rating on it, and it was intended for younger audiences. I don't know, it just seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to find any decent movie out there, even in the children's sections.
Alright, there's my rant for the day :wink:
HE has all the answers

Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:27 pm

You see I agree, although I'm sure some films get away with some things too easily. Take E.T. for example. When the older boy finds E.T. he says 'Oh... S...'. (Well at least I think he does.) Anyway back to the point... E.T. is rated as a U! Meaning any child is allowed to see it. :o
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:34 pm

it's not just in England enigma..........
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:41 pm

Yeah Fidel I was just talking from my own experience living in England. 'Jurassic Park' is categorised as a horror film, and that is rated 'PG'. Since the first of the trilogy (the trilogy so far, there might be a fourth on the way) was rated 'PG' so would the sequel 'Lost World: Jurassic Park' have to be either the same or lower.

This meant the makers were restricted in how far they could take the brutal deaths by dinosaurs. If those films were released today you would expect to see more blood and guts, and that's how much things have changed since 'Jurassic Park' was released over ten years ago.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:58 am

Ten years ago? Was it really? Cor, I feel old. :(

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:36 pm

As, do I! Jeez............10 years - i went to see it when it came out In Germany
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Smiths_fan » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:04 am

Ive wanted to see that film for a while. Ive heard it was unpleasent to watch, and to me, thats a good thing.

wait, now i sound sick.

I mean, films interest me a lot, watching and collecting them is one of my hobbies, and if a film can be powerful enough to make you feel sick, it succeeds. Film is, or at least should be, art. The entire point of art is to get an emotional response, and if the response they want is feelings of disgust, then good.

As far as i know, Irreversible set out to be as realistic as possible. therefore, why should it hold back?
I saw two shooting stars last night // I wished on them but they were only satellites // Is it wrong to wish on space hardware? // I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care - Billy Bragg, A New England
Smiths_fan
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Fidel » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:10 am

It is very graphic and awful

approach with caution
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Previous

Return to Chit Chat