cannabis, weed, dope, skunk, pot, etc

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Fidel » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:33 pm

Well, thats an interesting point but why use that as an excuse to unleash more harm?
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:36 pm

Fidel wrote:why use that as an excuse to unleash more harm?

Eh?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:38 pm

well If it's acceptable to have alcohol, coffee and cigarettes then shouldn't cannibas be legal too, is what some people were saying. Each harmful but why should we have more harmful things
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:45 pm

But then how can people that drink alcoholic and caffeinated liquids, and consume other hallucinogenics and depressants, oppose a drug that they don't consume while defending the others that they do?

Making something illegal isn't going to stop it happening. We have underaged sexual intercourse, children smoking from an early age, and teenagers watching horror films.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:46 pm

What am I supposed to do about that?

Maybe some things should be banned. Take it up with your government
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:49 pm

I'm not asking you to do anything about it, just stating the facts.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:45 pm

I see your point about harmful things. Alcohol is dangerous, not just for your health but also driving, accidents and violence related just as some drugs are. For this reason then maybe there should be stricter laws on alcohol and i certainly dont agree with 24 hour pub opening hours - this is just sending out the message that drinking to that extreme (any time of the day and excessively) is ok, and it isn't. If alcohol was banned i would be able to live with it, maybe life would be a lot different.

I do consume caffeine in the form of cola not coffee and i know it has its harms but they are pretty minimal compared to drugs and alcohol. It isn't likely for someone to commit a crime who drinks caffeine or smokes cigarettes, be violent towards others or be classed as a dangerous person.

I dont have a problem with the drug cannabis in itself as i know it has medicinal properties, it is the lifestyle that addicts adopt that is harmful and dangerous, sometimes leading to crime and hard drug use. It is about moderation but unfortunately an awful lot of people are unable to drink or take drugs in moderation.

The reason they have reclassified it is because it isn't as harmful as amphetamines which is class B. By having it in class B it is sending out the message that amphetamines and cannabis are the same and they certainly are not. By classing it in C it doesnt make it any more legal, it is just clarifying that it isn't a hard drug like speed, ecstacy etc, but it can still be harmful.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:07 pm

While the classification of the drug has decreased from 'B' to 'C', the maximum penalty for trafficking in Class C drugs has increased from five to fourteen years. This means that authorities can focus more on punishing people that distribute drugs instead of taking up time addressing the comparitive misdemeanor of consuming them.

I've read that the Cannabis awareness campaign has started on radio networks. Anyone heard the advertisements?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:10 pm

Interesting article: Cannabis killed my son - but it should still be legal

Anyone else read some particularly informative or interesting articles about the topic we are discussing?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:13 pm

Yes i have heard a few they are trying to get the message across that it is still illegal and you can still get into trouble for possession.

I do agree that it is more important to crack down on dealers than people with small amounts for recreational use. I am not saying that it is right for people to buy it, but punishing the dealers can be more effective in the long run. Unfortunately when one dealer goes down, another starts up on that patch it is never ending.

I think the police are very concerned about the level of harder drugs, big time cocaine dealers etc rather than the dodgy bloke down the street with a couple of ounces of puff in his pocket.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Yeah that's true, and also the comments about how dealers of Cannabis usually don't just provide the one drug. The thing is, as long as there is a demand then dealers will try to supply. And the demand is not going to go. As is commented in the article that I linked to in my previous post, it says that while Cannabis is illegal then the supply of it is undergound. If the drug was legalised then at least the government would be able to regulate the quality of it.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:27 pm

Yep they would be able to regulate it, weaken it down and tax it! I imagine that the majority of users would not want to see it legalised for these reasons, but on the other hand dont want to get punished by the law for recreational/medicinal use of the drug.

It would not stop dealers operating they would find other ways of making their money and the harder stronger types of cannabis would still be underground.

Making it legal would never work for the government, they are already dealing with the tobacco crisis. I am dreading the day they make ciggies illegal because our taxes will be astronomical to compensate.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:32 pm

Well, it would not be possible to get something completely overground. Such an example would be the smuggling of cigarettes duty free from other countries.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:47 pm

Nice posts Enigma, and in comparison to the "minimal effects" of things, weed (Jam in my area :S) is less harmful too. Its just weed and i know some of you feel strongly but i dont see the big deal. Things need to be taken responsibly, it isnt the drugs fault, its the persons! They should as best as they can use it responsibly like with friends and not all at once obviously. Not take 5 E's in a park and wlak in a road!
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sovs » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:55 pm

Enigma, smoking does not affect you the way drugs do. And as far as i know coffee only helps you to stay awake.

Drugs are evil and to me people that use them are a waste of space.
No one is forced in to taking or trying drugs it depends on how strong your will power is and if you give in to your curiousity to easily.

If i see homeless people when im in london asking for money i dont give them the time of day because the money they get mostly goes on drink and drugs not food.

People who take drugs get no respect from me, they are the dregs and scum of society and just seeing one makes me feel sick.

When i bleed during my last pregnancy i was in hospital and this woman in the bed next to me was on drugs and was a real scum bag.
She kept on at the nurses for her next fix and it made me feel ill.
I refused to stay in hospital with her near me but she got sent home, although she wanted to stay.
People like that dont deserve to be here as far as im concerned!!!!!
Decent people die every day from disease and accidents and in my view, if druggies are ruining there bodys anyway it should be them to go instead of our dear loved ones.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat