Teenagers!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do teenagers generally annoy you?

Yes
23%
No
23%
Sometimes
54%

Total votes : 13

Postby luvva » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:44 pm

Yeh but the you hear a lot of things about adults being murderers and rapists yet they don't get dirty looks if there are a few of them just standing outside a shop talking!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:52 pm

Yeah but adults don't stand around constantly giving the impression that they're up to something (eg, looking around constantly as if they're keeping a watchout...etc)

Indeed there are adults that are rapists...etc but they're alot more rarer than the teenagers causing problems.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Llisa » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:44 am

Sorry Captain_Flynn, I think you might be treading on dangerous ground there.
You have no idea how many rapes occure...the majority of them aren't reported.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:50 am

I wasn't the one to bring rapes into the topic, I just followed on from what a member stated. When I posted my post, I didn't post it with the intent for anyone to start ranting on about raping... I actually posted in hope that someone would take more notice of the first paragraph of my reply.

Just curious, do you honestly believe that there are more rapes, than teens causing trouble ( breaking windows, stealing...etc)?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Suzie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:29 am

There are a lot of rapists out there more than you think and a lot of the time they are the people you least expect it to be and to be honest rapists are far worse then petty crime committed by young teenagers that in a lot of cases don't have much better things to do (dependant upon where they live).
Suzie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby luvva » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:32 am

Yeh.

Sorry to bring the subject of rapists into here but I was just using it as an example and I didn't actually expect a conversation to lead on from it.

I think their probably are more things like teenagers breaking windows but only because around here I havn't heard about that many rapes but we are always being told how windows in a shop have been smashed or car tyres let down etc.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:55 am

There may be more teenagers commiting crime than adults but that's not to say that all teenagers stading around corners do that. I've been with my friends and we've stopped on a corner a few times but surely that doesn't mean that we're going to smash some windows. It is a very small percentage that commit the crimes and I think people need to understand that more. Just because people stand on a corner doesn't mean they are going to do something. Like Luvva said, adults stand on corners. Do they get stereotypicalised?
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:18 am

yeh obviously not all people that stand on street corners and stand near shops are going to do anything but it's like what someone said before it's just the percentage of teenagers that do commit crimes that gives ALL teenagers a bad name.

I understand what you are saying smile, like ma and my friends will stand outside shops and on the corners of streets but we don't have any intention to actualyy do anything wrong.

I think that it is better that we stand around a street corner because then at least nothing can happen to you if it is a busy road somebody would see, that's the only reason we don't stand in darker back streets.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:39 am

I agree with you completely. :D
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Irish Rose » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:45 am

Well, i voted for yes.

Teenagers DO annoy me, even though i am only 17 myself. (yes, i do understand how hypocritical that sounds, but i never said i liked myself either)

My reason is the area in which i live. I live in an area where kids burnt down my old school, where gangs of swearing, drinking, smoking teenagers stand outside the shop, waiting to corner some person so that they will buy booze/fags from them.

Younger children are too scared to go to the park because there is usually groups of teenagers there drinking cheap bottles of cider and causing trouble. My little brother (who is 15) was scared to go to the shop on his own for years, because a large group of kids his own age were hanging around there, and they used to rile him up. You know, starting fights and stuff.

I usually get stick because i'm a mosher sorta person (well, i listen to loud rock music on headphones and dress "weird").

I'm really sorry if i'm using stereotypes here... I'm just trying to explain what it is like where i live. Teenagers don't have a good reputation at all. And the worst of it is because they think they know everything, when in reality there is still sooo much they got to learn about the world.
For example, freshmen at my college.
They come here thinking they know everything, only to be brought down a peg or two.

On the other hand, their are some who won't come into the common room at college, cos me and all my friends are there. Apparently they find us intimidating, because of the way we dress and act, and the music we play.

In reality, my friends are the nicest bunch of people i could possibly meet.

it's just how outsiders view it, and teenagers have had the same image for decades, and probably centuries. it's not gonna be changing anytime soon.

Just think, soon you won't be a teenager anymore - you'll be one of the "Adults" conplaining about how annoying teenagers are! ](*,)
"And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To Ireland where my heart lies."
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby saz » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:43 am

I dont want to vote yes or no. Of course lots of people annoy me but it would be unfair to say that of all teenagers.

Where i live there is a huge crime rate. Wherever i go, there is something smashed up or broken and it drives me mad. The problem with these young people (not just teenagers they might be in their 20's also) is that they might be unemployed, uncared for by their parents and bored. They have no respect for the world around them. Once they start paying council and road tax they will respect things more because i fork out £100 a month and i bet that a lot of it goes on fixing vandalised bus stops and phone boxes. They have removed most of the phone boxes in my area due to constant vandalism and that has isolated all of the people who cant afford mobiles or need one in an emergency.

It isn't safe to walk the streets in my town and every day an elderly person gets mugged. I hate living like this and wish that something could be done.

It isn't amusing to smash up a random car or intimidate someone in the street. Parents need to be more aware of how they are bringing up their kids of all ages and instill respect for others into them. And this goes not just for teenagers.

There are a couple of teenagers in my street and they enjoy racing their cars up and down the cul de sac. They are old enough to work but their parents dont encourage them to get jobs, so amuse themselves with motorbikes and banger cars with no licences or care for the neighbours.

There are also some very responsible young people out there, and the lots of members of this site show that. I love to read in the local paper of a youth group who have done something really good. There are lots of services in my town that are free, they have built a huge centre for young people but they dont make use of it.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:38 pm

I just wanted to say that I now I am quite embarrased about saying how people that say rude things about teenagers are wrong!

Today when I was out with my mates a group of lads well mugged us. I didnt get anythig taken but people in the group had money and fags taken!

It has shaken me up a bit, any advice on how to get over this?
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:49 pm

luvva you could start a topic about it in the help forums if you have not done so already.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:07 pm

Thanks for that suggestion Enigma, I have put the problem in Mental Wellbeing.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Mr.L » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:18 pm

Hey irish rose, i know how you feel! Grungers are much nicer people in general and well lets call them the universal name of rudeboys are generally idiots. Ok im beign a stereotye but they stereotype me everyday because of what i like. I dont care what they like its up to them btu theys hould not abuss me because of my music, clothes and friends. Then i wouldnt have to stereotype them.

Im too used to muggins luvva, its shocking first time but you get over it. Jsut make sure thye dont take anything and your safe. Ifya want you can pm me and we can tlak about it. Last time i hid my phone down my boxers lol.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat