Citizenship

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Citizenship

Postby Fidel » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:14 pm

I received a letter this morning informing me that my British citizenship hearing will be held on the 3rd of July. I thought it'd be next year but I forgot that Estonia (my country of origin) were joining the EU, so my mum and dad, Andryi, Katina and I have to go for a citizenship test in Glasgow.

Does anyone know what they include? I reckon there'll be a spoken and written language and historical/ cultural test but I am not sure........will my English be good enough?
I'm really worried......
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:11 pm

I dont know what the tests include, but I am sure that if there is a speaking and writting test, you will pass easily. Your English is fine. The town in London where I grew up for 16 years was over-run with foreign people and I can tell you, 90% them couldnt speak an understandable amount of English..... you're much better than they are.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Mr.L » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:42 pm

Im not a facist of any sort but a patriot and it annoys me to see London capital of Great Britain over run with people stealing from the overment and who cant speak a word of english when there are our own people on the streets dying.

I wouldn't worry fidel, youre english is good and youre not a benefit leech.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:56 pm

I know what you mean Mr L. Unfortunately, thats the way things are going though.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Mr.L » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:00 pm

Yes, its a shame :(
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Fidel » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:39 pm

well the Dungavel detention centre is inhumane. I think skilled workers from foreign countries. ie my father should be helped to settle here, especially doctors
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:36 pm

Thats it though, your father CAN help the country and doesnt want to be a bum! His earning a living and isnt scumming off the goverment.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:45 pm

Yeah, Fidel, your dad is just fine.

The thing is, it's the people who are not contributing to the country, that simply come over here, claim benefits, get nice houses and do nothing, that cause the most problems and annoy the British public.

My old area contained too many nationalities, as at times they would have fights over religion, or just gang fights...etc crazy stuff. Even a few crimes with guns being used have occured over recent years! :o Another problem is that when you get illegal immigrants...etc the crime rate seems to increase drastically.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby smile » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:00 am

Please do not drift off topic. The topic stated was 'Citizenship'.

Fidel, I did a search for you on the net and found an article which was released last year.

Here's a quote:

Classes for all

The report says immigrants taking citizenship should join classes where they can learn about:

Everyday Britain including the NHS, schools and how people get help or support
Employment in Britain, including their rights and the minimum wage
The basics of the English or Scottish legal system and the "rights and duties of a citizen"
The basic history of our institutions such as the role of the Monarch, Parliament and government
The face of Britain, particularly its modern history as a multicultural society and its principles of equality, fairness and justice.

You can find the whole article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/2713349.stm
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:10 pm

what about the language element
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:14 pm

Well, you know what most words we use on here mean. A lot of people who live here can barely speak English. Your speaking to your friends in English every day I gather, so with all that practise I'm sure you'll be fine.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:01 am

well, I must admit I have the dictionary handy sometimes. Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll pass it........ [-o< ...and Andryi and Katina too.....they'l do fine. :D
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Chit Chat