To download, or not?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

To download, or not?

Postby Llisa » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:07 pm

There's been a lot of fuss recently over downloading songs and movies from the internet. And with the 'resurection' of the Napster, more and more artists are becoming irrate. You can't even go to the theatre now without seeing an add to stop piracy of movies.
What's your opinion? Should a law be passed so that the penalty for piracy should be imprisonment...or should we be allowed to continue stealing someone else's hard work?
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:26 pm

To be honest i dont think it is such a bad thing.
I have never atempted it and never would but i dont see it as to much of a problem.
There are worse things happening in this world that should be looked at, not the petty things.
Whats the worst that will happen, a director will lose a few pounds out of his millions? I dont see it as to much of a hardship.
and lets face it, if you can pic up a video for a fiver instead of £15 can you really blame people for buying it. And as long as that happens piracy isnt going to stop.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby depman » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:23 am

I agree with sovs
Its because everything is expensive is why people turn to cheaper copies

The law always seems to consentrate on the petty things when people aren trying to earn a living and get nabbed by the police for something petty when the police should be concentrating on the real issues in our society but they always seem to go for the easy nicks but thats my opinion
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby mariamaria » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:56 am

I download music and movies. Do you blame me? If you love a song, and you just can't get it out of your head, you want it, right? Why pay £5 for the single when you can get it for free if you download it!

As for movies, they are a total rip off. £25 for a piece of plastic that entertains you for a couple of hours? No. I would rather download it for free thank you very much. :D

I thank the Download God for blessing us with such programs as Napster (that used to be free and is no longer available anywhere except the U.S. now) and Kazaa(Lite) and such programs. Thank you Oh Lord.

Amen. [-o<
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:35 pm

I download a "few" songs and movies. Until prices are matched almost worldwide why should we pay over the odds. Most things i download tend to be older songs.

When CD-Wow had to raise it's CD prices because of bigger companies i think they took on the wrong people rather than finding a solution i believe they may have started something they can't handle.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:33 pm

In 2003 CD sales increased as a result of lower prices, and now the average cost of a CD single is going down. You can expect lots of new releases to cost £2.99, an increasing number at £1.99, and the top price for a basic CD single is £3.99. When an artist releases a single they are allowed to publish it on three formats.

A common thing is to provide 2 CD singles and 1 tape cassette. At a cost of £1.99 the consumer is likely to purchase both CDs, resulting in two units sold. That is, two units counted in the sales chart: or so you'd think! If you buy both CDs in one session, at the same time, then they only count as one unit for the music artists chart position.

Away from the music shops and into the cinemas, and 2003 also saw the highest box office total. This is due in the main to the release of highly anticipated movies, but goes to show that the cinema industry is certainly not fading. Yet.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Let's_dance » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:04 pm

I agree with music sharing.

That's true communism that is
In Place of the Vladmeister

Scott and Jed - honourary Vlads
Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's_dance
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Llisa » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:12 pm

I thought you said you hated communism let's_dance? :-?

I do think the prices of things these days are ridiculous...especially movies and music. But playing the devil's advocate here...the musicians and and actors and who ever else is involved are being cheated out of their money. Yeah, ok, we all hate them because they have a 'cushy job' and make a ton of money having fun...but so what? They got there because of their talents ( or family connections :roll: ) and in turn should be given the respect that they deserve. Downloading a movie or song from the internet is equivilant to stealing something from the store...you are cheating somebody out of money that should be rightfully theirs. Hey, if you don't like the movie prices, then don't pay them! No one is forcing you to watch videos...people survived for thousands of years without TV...believe it or not.

I personally don't download music and vieos of the internet. If I really like a tune, or a movie, then I'll go and buy it. What would you think of me if I said..."That sweater costs too much...but I really like it so I'm gonna steal it." It's the same thing.

But I do agree...there are a lot more pressing matters in this world that need our attention.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:31 pm

In England we now have easyCinema, which cuts out the luxuries involved in your cinema-going in order to reduce the price of it.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:15 pm

standing in line for hours on end to get a good seat, plowing your way through stale popcorn and coke bottles on the floor and climbing overtop a million legs to get to your seat...ah...yes...such luxuries. :D
HE has all the answers

Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:16 pm

Because our cinema is quite new and big it costs £6 a ticket :o
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:27 pm

I have a UGC Unlimited card. £9.99 a month, see whatever you want as much as you like.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:37 pm

Ahhh, that explains it :lol:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 pm

Explains why I go to the cinema so much? lol

Was there today as it happens, saw 'Cheaper By The Dozen'. I recommend it!
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby daveshow » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:47 pm

oh for the days when my phonograph singles only cost 1/- a pop
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat