To download, or not?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Let's_dance » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:05 pm

I have a UGC card as well, Handy little things. I spend on average 90p per cinema trip.
In Place of the Vladmeister

Scott and Jed - honourary Vlads
Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's_dance
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mariamaria » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:07 am

We don't have a UGC in where I live... :cry: I wish we did...I could get one of those "handy little things" (cards...get ya minds out of the gutter!) and just pay £9.99 a month. I'd be visiting the cinema a lot more often then.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby smile » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:03 am

I download quite a few songs. I haven't bought a single in who knows how long. I don't see why I should pay £15 for an album when I can download it for free on Kazaa. Although now a lot of artists have placed codes of somesort in some songs so that when it gets to a certain place in a song all you hear is a load of crackling. I can't blame them though.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Yer but there are dozens of songs out there that you can download and if on one song, you hear crackling, then you can download the same song from somebody else and eventually, you will get the song without the crackling. :D
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:00 pm

I am strongly against illegal copying of creative works. I appreciate the benefits of file sharing, and in fact several of the artists I support now I found about through file sharing at the height of Napster and audiogalaxy. The distribution of audio files through file sharing exposes listeners to a larger and more ranging selection of artists and their music. If I have liked the music of an artist I've heard through the Internet I have often gone to HMV and purchased albums and singles.

The significant aspect of this process is that I was usually only exposed to the music and not the commercial branding of the artist. So, although sharing copyrighted works is illegal, it does have positive effects. We are now seeing an evolution in the way publishers make music available to the audience. Several companies are providing audio files to be purchased through the Internet, either through their own Web sites or in agreement with those hosting audio files, such as MSN for example.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:47 pm

I agree, it is wrong to breach the copyright laws but I don't see how record companies can expect people to pay stupid amounts for only three songs. I know prices are dropping but all the same they are still too expensive. £3.99 is a lot of money for a child to pay for if they only recieve say £5 a week pocket money. It's alright if you have a job or have a bank account with money in, but a lot of younger kids spend their money near enough as soon as they got it. I used to get about £8 a week in pocket money when I was a kid, that's enough to buy 20 minutes of music at the most. I think it's a rip off. Music company directors can go home to their mansions with their nice big cars outside, while many kids save all week to buy ONE single. lol I'm getting bitter.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Deadman001 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:20 am

Well a lot of people said that should the music become a fair price to buy they wouldn't use Peer-to-Peer programs to download music, and quite a few of these services are begining to appear (I believe napster has been trying to set up a pay to download service for a few years now) so i guess we'll see if thats gonna be the case.

As for my view on filesharing, i'm all for it. i've been using it since the old days of napster and just find it normal now. I do use some websites to buy cd's however most have now been forced to increase their prices which is ridiculous. generally if i buy a cd i've downloaded some of the tracks before actually buying it.
"I laugh in the face of danger, then i hide until it goes away" -> Xander

"Lay it down, I've always been with you
Hear me now, With all that's within you
Be my savior, And I'll be your downfall"
Deadman001
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Fidel » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:38 pm

CD singles are overpriced garb......the real good stuff isn't realeased now anyway
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:25 pm

Overpriced garb?? it just depends on what kind of music it is that you listen to.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Fidel » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:05 pm

what music do you like?
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:43 pm

There are several topics on music and the different types of tastes that people have. Please stay on the track of 'Downloading Music'.

Please look here: http://www.problempages.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2484

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Previous

Return to Chit Chat