The Brits. Better or worse??

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Was this years brits any good?

yes
50%
no
38%
get rid of it
No votes
not really bothered
13%

Total votes : 8

Postby Let's_dance » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:36 pm

If the Darkness were around in their adopted timeline then they would be laughed at - they are nonsense. An insult to the great bands back then
In Place of the Vladmeister

Scott and Jed - honourary Vlads
Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's_dance
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Summer » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:50 pm

I thought it was alot than it has been but when you watch something like the MTV awards even the europe one it's like a who's who list of all the top movie/music personalities.
And then you look at the brits and you have someone like Martin kemp presenting an award!?!

The darkness was by far the best performance of the night and busted were pretty kewl aswell.
If I don't care about myself,who else will?
Summer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby sovs » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:37 pm

Enigma i never even metioned Busted, and i did see them play at the Brits and they were good :wink:
I just think Depeche Mode should have been there they work really hard, sing their own songs and play their own instruments.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby daveshow » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:25 pm

i agree with lets dance on the darkness but i have to say they are prob the best of todays comtemporary artists because they at least attemp to get back to the good old times
"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now i'm very hungry"
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Mr.L » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:05 pm

Shut up! The Darkness are tryign to bring back exactly what you want so dont complain. I would love to see you play guitar like that mate, they have great talent and whether you like them or not they play great live. I wouldnt diss down the darkness and say they insult old bands when many old bands are loving the fact of them being aroudn as it is a key to their music too.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby daveshow » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

did i say they were rubbish???? no i said i they were the best of today and yes they are good guitarists and music but they arnt as good as the earlier folk ie justin can only sing in a high pitched voice he doesnt have as good a vocal range as freddie mercury and dan isnt as good as jimmy page.

i have there album and some singles btw so i do like them
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Enigma » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:55 pm

sovs wrote:Enigma i never even metioned Busted.

I know sovs, I was using Busted as an example.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:13 pm

I was mainly refering to Lets dance. The darkness are a compliment to the classics!
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Let's_dance » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:02 pm

Please.......let's not further downgrade the classics. anway, Heard you like Chimaira - I went to see them in Glasgow
In Place of the Vladmeister

Scott and Jed - honourary Vlads
Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues
Let's_dance
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Mr.L » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:00 pm

Yer Chimaria are wiked. I wish there was a better version of the Kerrang awards so that decent heavy metal bands like chimaira get the recognition they should! You like Rammstein, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage?

I like brand new a lot too and funeral for a friend.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby daveshow » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:21 pm

ok sorry mate
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby luvva » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:42 am

Just want to say I loved the brits...thought they were so kool and I loved the darkness and Busted, I didn't happen to see Dido get her first award, why couldn't she be there in person?
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:35 pm

I was at my mums last night and saw the repeat of 'The Brits 2004'. In my opinion it was pretty terrible. The Brit Awards are about celebrating British music, but the majority of performances involved Americans. Duran Duran received an award for 'Extraordinary Contribution To Music'... why?! They've had a successful and sustainable career in the industry, but I don't think they've made particularly extraordinary contributions.

I think the whole purpose of Duran Duran winning that award was to bring them back into media focus in preparation for the arena tour that will take place next month. From what I've read, Dido didn't want to "waste" her time with the Brit Awards.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:47 pm

Enigma wrote:
Duran Duran received an award for 'Extraordinary Contribution To Music'... why?! They've had a successful and sustainable career in the industry, but I don't think they've made particularly extraordinary contributions.

I think the whole purpose of Duran Duran winning that award was to bring them back into media focus in preparation for the arena tour that will take place next month.

My thoughts exactly Enigma :wink:
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:00 pm

There is an article by a music journo in a national newspaper today (The Sun) that is along the lines of 'why Duran Duran' and 'why so many american artists performing at the Brits'. Very good and i have to agree with his views that it all seemed a total plug for Durans comeback.

He bigged up The Darkness though, and is right to say that they are a breath of fresh air. Ok they might be slighly ludicrious in some ways but then weren't Queen to some generations? Is it only 10 years or more later that we can truely see their fantastic qualities?
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat