Should you work or stay on benefits?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Should you work or stay on benefits?

Postby Enigma » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:33 pm

A rehash of the original discussion, which was started by paganrose.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby daveshow » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:37 pm

WORK!!!!!
"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now i'm very hungry"
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:44 pm

Depends.

I've just been made redundant but I'd much rather be working and will be getting another job ASAP!

If I was rich enough I'd like to work part time, then I'd still have time for developing web sites and stuff.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby saz » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:47 pm

I have the choice to not work at all, but if i chose that i would not be eligible for benefits. The reason i do work is to give more to the household, not so much so that we can have nicer things but so that it isn't such a struggle just to pay the normal bills. Even if we were comfortable and i didn't have to work, i would probably want to. If i couldnt work/find a job, and my partner was also out of work, i would obviously claim benefits but that isn't an issue for us.

I think the benefit system is a very good support for those who really need it and do not abuse it, but when it comes down to choosing which path to take it is a hard one and probably different for every individual case. I think if you are completely able to work, in any type of capacity then you should.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:04 pm

Yeah my mum is on benefits. She has severe arthritis and is having to claim disability benefit as well as she can hardly walk anymore without being in pain. She wanted to be a heavy good vehicle driver. I don't know if she still wants to do it though...The Jobcentre asked her to go in for an interview, and they went through all the ins and outs and told her that if she worked, instead of claiming benefits, at the end of the week, after paying bills etc, she's only be left with 86p!

bother that, she says, she's staying on benefits. She's get a helluva lot more than 86p!

I work part time. I hope to go to college too because I want to be a midwife.

Benefits are great for those that CANT work, but people who receive benefits and are perfectly capable of working, should have their benefits taken off them, I think, and be made to work.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby daveshow » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:05 pm

Yeah i agree with that though you should accept that sometimes jobs arent there.
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:07 pm

Well obviously...

You can't work if there are no vacancies...
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby daveshow » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm

Aye
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:25 pm

Unless you go for a different job where there are vacancies....
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby saz » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:29 pm

I feel quite strongly that there tends to be a bit of a problem with the type of jobs people are prepared to do. If you can earn more staying at home than working, where is the incentive for one, and if it is a toss up between cleaning loos or serving food, many would turn their nose up. JSA is supposed to encourage people to go into work, I do know people who are on the scheme but still turn down jobs they feel are beneath them. A job is a job, and is a way to earn money, you can't be choosy!
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mariamaria » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Oh yeah.

The other day my boss, she's called Doreen, had an interview with a bloke who was coming in to apply for the job of cleaner. He had been referred to my employer by the Jobcentre.

Anyways, he doesnt turn up for his interview, so my boss calls him, and asks him if he is on his way down or if he wants to reschedule. He said he didn't want the job. He hadn't even been for the interview and he said he didn't want the job.

My boss said that this is down to people who go to the Jobcentre on a regular basis just to claim their money, just for sitting on their bums all day. All these people have to do is say that they went for an interview and say that they didnt get the job, when really they're the ones that either didn't turn up for the interview, or they turned it down.

I reckon these JobCentre people ought to call the employer and find out reasons why the interviewee didn't get the job. I know those JSA people are really lazy and probably don't wanna do more paperwork, but it has to be done if they want these people to work!
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Chit Chat