War

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Enigma » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:03 pm

War should not be happening at this day in age.

There are always alternative ways to resolve conflict. Rather, the conflict should be prevented in the first place instead of having to cure it at all. The prospect of war should not even be considered as a possible direction to take in order to bring this situation to an end.

It seems our so-called leaders are so set on the idea of going to war, that alternative courses of action aren't getting much consideration. Our supposed leaders work so hard to develop our countries and societies, but are so quick in moving to a decision that could ultimately undo everything we have become.

It has been documented in the media that, although the anti-war demonstrations have been met with such amazing response around the world, the leaders forming the decision to go to war are not taking heed of the view evidently present among the majority. That, I believe, is a contradicition to the very foundation of the democratic system.

Something is very wrong, and it is difficult to see how it could possibly be put right when there is already such a great sense of inevitability about this whole predicament.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Daftness2k3 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:11 am

Well I still think they'll hold back....could be wrong,but yeah.

I have a friend who is a veteran of Desert Storm and he reckons war has to happen. Said the things he saw when in Iraq, especially the torture conditions had to be seen, and then you still wouldn't believe them. Don't like to probe him too much, but he did say that he thinks if Saddam had the power and weapons he could be another Hitler, so he's all for it.

Personally, I still think they'll wait on the UN.
Daftness2k3
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Gem » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:15 am

Wow, you lot are getting very worked up over this!! To be completely honest, I don't think anything will happen and the reason that there is so much in the news etc is because the government has to make everyone aware of it incase something does happen.

It was Nostradamus that predicted these things but he also predicted some things which didn't come true, I remember that he said the world would end in 1999 and did it?? You have to remember that the power of what he has said has come up through the generations because even 100 years ago, people were very superstitious.

Its very true that Saddam is probably one of the most evil men ever and to be truthfull, I wish someone would kill him to get it all over with, but, there is always going to be someone who takes the words of their religion to heart.....this is what their 'bible' tells them to do.
Ok, so, maybe not in Saddam's case but in other terrorist groups it is.
I am not saying that every muslim or hindu is a terrorist but, you can see why they get so fanatical, this is the only thing they have to cling to (their religion), just think of how people in these countries live.

I don't think that there is any real threat at the moment, and anyway, life is way too short to worry about things like this. If there is a war, it probably won't get to us, and, I doubt very much that one would happen for a while anyway. Sleep soundly.......it's all precautionay.
Who decided what order to put the alphabet in?
Gem

Postby Enigma » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:44 pm

What's been going on in your local area?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby misatok11 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:01 am

I'm a bit biased on this war. I have watched so many colleagues and friends go off to the Gulf, including my brother. I think it's gonna happen, it must happen. Diplomatic solutions have failed. This is a war on removing Saddam. I would like to think that it can be avoided, but it can't he's had too long to disarm. This is not about the people, this IS fror the people, the people of Iraq. The sooner he is out the sooner i get my friends back. These are my views and i'm biased because i'm in the forces, but hey it could be worse, i could be there.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Gem » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:53 pm

Ok, what I said before isn't what I think now, it's getting scary. I found out that one of my oldest friends has gone out there, I have no way of talking to him and I didn't even know he had gone, I'm worried. Someone I know at work used to be in the army and even he has had some letter come through saying they might have to call him up. misatok11, was wondering when it gets so bad that they start calling old old army people up, my Dad used to be in the forces, don't want him to go :cry:
Gem

Postby misatok11 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:45 am

They only recall people to do the jobs that need to be done in the UK. If you want to get in contact with your friend who is out there as long as you know where they are you can send them a letter through the net. it is www.superletter.com/bfpo you can get all the details there and it's free. You can talk to people about this as i have a brother and my mum and wife are worried i might go. Just remember the british Forces are among the best in the world and they might be home before you think.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:56 pm

I just got home from the anti-war protest in Manchester.

manchesteronline.co.uk wrote:ANTI-WAR protestors have complained they were assaulted by police officers during a march through Manchester city centre.

read more...
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:06 pm

It seems its inevitable now. I think I can say on behalf of all of us that our hearts go out to the army, marines etc. I think Saddam's got until 1am tonight to leave Iraq. :-?
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:35 am

90 minutes after the 01:00 (04:00 in Iraq) deadline passed, the Americans utilised a window of opportunity to try and assasinate Saddam Hussein at 02:30 British Time. President Bush gave a statement at 03:15 confirming this.

News since then states that things will be silent until somewhere in the next 48 hours. The initial air strike, and all future ones, will focus on military targets and the Saddam leadership.

There has been an apparently live broadcast by Saddam, but it is thought it was pre-recorded and likely to be one of Saddams doubles.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:37 pm

Its getting pretty scary now... I'm not entirely for war but I've changed my tune a bit. I think something has to be done about the international terroism threat but I don't think the answer is war. However that is something that we will find out I suppose. :-? There is so much evil in this world, I think Bush has got a one track mind at the moment. I only found this out today but apparantly Saddam challenged Bush to a live TV debate. However Bush refused. :o Surely it could have been worth a try?? A lot of people could have got a different view on it. It seems the US is only interested in war. Oh well, thats my say for now.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Aldo » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:41 pm

what would be the point of a tv debate? its just a ploy to try and get sympathy from the public. Look at the interview done with Tony Benn! that was a mistake! a big mistake and something that should never have happened.
If you dont ask you will never know
Aldo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby smile » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:40 am

I think your right Aldo, I'm not great with politics though so I just get the basics really. :lol:

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:45 pm

You don't have to be great at politics to know that war is wrong...
:D
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Gem » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:54 am

Thats true but, think about this, ever since Sept 11th, Tony Blair stood by George Bush and said he would back him with whatever he did.....very commendable, he can hardly back out now just because we have gone to war. Personally, I think Blair has done the right thing, they've tried for 12 years to diplomatically remove him from Iraq and it hasn't worked, what else is left to do????
It suddenly makes it more real when you know someone is there, I found out my friend is over there now, we just gotta be supporting our troops. No offense Enigma as you know I love you but, what good is an anti war protest going to do when the war has already started? They can't stop half way through and come home can they? Big kisses babe, don't get mad, it's just my view xx
Gem

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat