CIVIL SERVICE?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

CIVIL SERVICE?

Postby innocent » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:13 pm

is anyone here in the civil service? im currently studying beauty therapy at college but am thinking when my course is finished to go into it.
I dont have any qualifications in ICT, so i know il be starting lower..
I just dont know much about it..Is it really boring? is the salary good?
would this be a good move, i have all my GCSE's just really didnt want to do my A levels even though i know i should have.
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:22 pm

What sort of area in the civil service do you want to go into? Levels of boringness (that is a word!) will vary depending on what you're thinking of doing. My mum's a civil servant, and has been for, well, ever. Funnily enough, she studied beauty therapy too! There are lots of perks, and I know my mum's car insurers charge less just because she works for the civil service. I don't think any job at the moment is 100% secure, but there are lots of different opportunities available.

Once you've decided what area you want to work in, you can find out more about the details. Try this.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby innocent » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:50 pm

thankyou..that site was really usefull i didnt actually know there were so amny areas in he civil service..
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crazy_in_love » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:36 am

hey my mum wants in the civil service, she dnt actually like it, shes been there 10 years though so i can see why. she has however managed to work her wya up and earns a decent salary, so there is room to move up even though you dnt have any A Levels, there really arent any A Levels that could help you in civil service i dnt think??? i could be wrong though, watever you do good luck.
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby innocent » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 pm

i found out that with my beauty course il be able to get in higher as it's an NVQ level 2..so il be an administration officer instead of an assistant.
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 am

Just out of interest but how does having an NVQ Level 2 in hair and beauty allow you to be an administration officer? :-?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 am

Sometimes (not all the time), if you have a level 2 qualification, such as GCSEs grade C and above, or an NVQ level 2, employers can put you in a higher position to start with, because by studying at level 2, you're showing you're capable of that standard of study - in any subject.

It's not always the case though - that's why some companies ask for graduates in any subject because they can show they have studied at degree level. Other places want people to have qualifications more specific to the role - for example, if Innocent had an NVQ2 in Business Admin, she would probably be in a better position, but as she's proved she can study at that level, they may want to take her on and put her through an NVQ2 or 3 in Business Admin once she starts the job.

Actually, Innocent, that's a question you could ask at an interview - would it be possible for you to study for an NVQ in business admin while working there?
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Sometimes (not all the time), if you have a level 2 qualification, such as GCSEs grade C and above, or an NVQ level 2, employers can put you in a higher position to start with, because by studying at level 2, you're showing you're capable of that standard of study - in any subject.

First of all, i'm not targetting you at all, but I tend not to agree with that method. I just don't understand how it works. What I mean is that (sorry to do this) with the flying I have alot of friends who are more academically qualified than me to do the job who even addmit that they wouldn't be able to handle the amount of study that I do and obtain the amount of knowledge required to fly.. and in theory on an academic basis these people would be picked over me.. That somehow doesn't seem right. :-? I think employers should stop being so lazy as to require college/uni courses and start employing people who 1) Really have a passion for the job (because thats when jobs get done properly) 2) Who have either a high level of knowledge, or experience in that particular field.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:24 pm

captain_flynn wrote: First of all, i'm not targetting you at all, but I tend not to agree with that method.

No, that's fine, I know you're not. And I didn't make the system, so I'm not offended anyway!

Maybe you could start another topic in Chit Chat to discuss this though, and see what others think - because it is interesting - so that we're not taking over Innocent's topic. :)
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to And the rest...