what am i going to do?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

what am i going to do?

Postby xfayelouisex » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 pm

i left my job 4 months ago, because of stress and it didn't pay enough for me to travel there and pay bills, so i stupidly left my job,now me and my partner are in big debt we have so much to pay off he only gets £200 a week which isn't enough to pay both our bills, my nan said she wont help pay them anymore, and i can't get any benifits and im finding it hard to get a job, no one in my family will lend me money till i get a job, coz they believe that i have to stand on my own two feet, my boyfriends mum lends him money but he doesn't like to keep asking her i don't know what to do im so worryed. i feel this will never end last time i became unemployed it took me almost a year to get a new job i cant possibly let that happen again i try so hard and i get interviews but where im so shy i get nervous and fail at the interviews im so annoyed with myself for being so stupid and shy.
mus:- i don't know much but i know i love you and that maybe all i need to know.
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 pm

hey there im in the same boat in a way. i failed my training for bus driving and was unemployed just before xmas. im kinda muddling along at the mo with bills and things. its very deppressing being out of work but try too stay positive and keep applying for things. have you seen someone about benefits? if your on low income sure theres a way too top up your boyfriend. tax credits is one thing. im sure something will come up. stay strong and keep going. we will get there im sure. hope all works out. let me know how u get on brfc
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Fayelouise.
You say you can't claim any benefits - is that because you left your job by choice? If you really are totally broke, you need to speak to your job centre advisor again to explain the situation calmly. I work with unemployed people and there are hundreds who receive money when they left their job by choice. I bet Retrochav can give you better advice about hardship loans and stuff like that. Aside from that, are you still signing to get your stamp paid? If not, you should arrange to do that because until they know you're out of work, the job centre can't arrange any help for you.

There are systems in place for people who are out of work, and even if you think they're a waste of time, you won't lose anything by giving them a go. Under 24s can go on a scheme called Gateway To Work, where you'll get help with CVs, applications, interview techniques, loads of access to jobs you didn't even know existed, and the chance to get careers advice and general help and support from trained staff who aren't under the same pressure as job centre advisors. Normally, Gateway is only available to people who have been out of work for 6 months or more, but I'm pretty sure if you ask them, your advisor might be able to help, because they have to force most people to go on the course. Part of the course is a week of work experience, and very often the company decides to take you on afterwards in a paid position.

If there is no Gateway scheme going on in your area, ask your advisor about any Job Clubs that might be going on. Same as Gateway, except you probably won't get a placement out of it.

Bear in mind that Christmas and New Year are rubbish times for jobs (except temp retail positions). Our local job paper is out tomorrow and I'm expecting it to be slightly more full than last week - hope so anyway! You sound like you need help with things like confidence - have a look for confidence courses in your area. You might think it is a waste of time in the short term, because that's time used up when you could be job searching, but in the long term, a confidence course/Job Club/Gateway to Work will help you to make better applications that are more likely to lead to an interview, and give better interviews that will lead to a job.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: what am i going to do?

Postby retrochav » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 am

thankyou moose, i think together we can offer some good advice here. You do have more options than you realise FayLouise.

If you have paid enough national insurance contributions (as a rule of thumb if you have earned more than £82 per week or more for one of the last two years) you can claim JSA in your own right based on contributions for six months.

If you had left work on stress, you might be entitled to Incapacity Benefit if your GP signs you off - although i would need some more information to give you a full breakdown of your rights - so feel free to PM me.

If neither of these options apply and you live with your partner, he can claim working tax credits providing he is over 25years of age, if his earnings are low as you suggest.

Moose makes an important point about signing on. To protect your contribution record for a pension, and to keep in the loop about jobs and help available, its worth signing on even if you arent entitled to claim actual benefit.

Finally, dont forget the various charities with grants available to people in need. If you pm me i will advise who to approach in your situation.

As for debts, its worth getting FREE debt advice from the Citezens Advice Bureaux or the National Debt Helpline. Do not bother with any of the private debt advisers and their promises on TV, as there is always catches. CAB and other local charities can request a freeze is put on interest, and can negotiate repayments based on your income and expenditure. In rare cases, debt can even get written off. If it is debt such as credit cards, store cards etc, a judge would only make you pay what you could realistically aford to anyway, so dont panic unduly.

I know there is a lot to take in here, so if you PM me we can look at each option in turn. Good luck
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby xfayelouisex » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:52 pm

thanks for all the advice it was helpful, well i left my job by choice but i wasn't signed off by my GP, i went to my GP and explained about my job and i was suffering tension headaches due to the job, i couldn't het contributaion based JSA coz i don't have enough stamps but they told me coz of my age and the amount i have worked it wud take along time to get enough stamps and wouldn't be worth it(i'm 20 and i've worked 8 months in the last two years and had two jobs one was only a temp job)and i cant get income based JSA coz my partner works over 16 hours a week, im going to the CAB tommorow i phoned them yesterday and they told me to come on down and they wud ask me a series of questions and see what im entitled to but the guy i was talking to said coz of my situation it doesn't sound like im entitled to anything, but im gunna go down anyway and see, im getting so worried and fustrated im trying so hard i feel like im banging my head against a brick wall
mus:- i don't know much but i know i love you and that maybe all i need to know.
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby retrochav » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:17 am

It appears you may not be entitled to JSA given your circumstances, but it is still tottally appropriate to sign on even if you cant get an actual benefit, so dont be swayed by the job centre as you need to protect your pension and signing on for national insurance credits does just that. (some of whom often dont get the full training they need, due to cost cutting).

Your partners earnings will count against you for getting income based JSA as the DWP expect a couple to live on £90.10 per week after housing costs, known as an 'applicable amount'. That said, if you partner only earns £200 per week, you guys may get some of your rent and council tax paid by housing and council tax benefit.

See what CAB suggests ( they vary from very holistic advisers to the single issue approach style) and let us know how you get on. Maybe we can top up gaps in what they tell you.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby xfayelouisex » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 pm

well i cant get any benifits at all they said my partner might be entitled to working tax credits but it wont be much i cant believe im entitled to nothing
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby LME79 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Have you considered temping? There are lots of agencies out there Reed is a very good online one. Even if the job is mundane, it'll bring in money and you can continue to job hunt then, especially if you get part time stuff. You don't even necessarily need to have much experience for some posts :) What do you think? x
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby crazy_in_love » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 am

hey another good agency is office angels (also number 3 top company to work for in the country supposedly)![/url]
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby xfayelouisex » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:38 pm

yeah thats a good idea temping would be ideal untill i got a part or full time job, where i live its so hard to get a job, it took me a year to get my last one thanks for all your suggestions :D
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to And the rest...