Advice on job interview

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Advice on job interview

Postby xfayelouisex » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:41 pm

this may be trivial, but i have a job interview tommorow, and its a job i particually want, ive been out of work for 5 months and am in deparate need of money, i have hit rock bottom as i have £400 left to pay my bills which are £200 a month after that i have nothing, but i have been for many job interviews, and i always get turned down, im very shy and have a low self esstem, i try force myself to be confident and i sort of am untill i get into the interview and everything goes wrong, i feel like theres a big lump in my throat i constantly worry if i sound stupid,what i say is silly and if there judging me, it makes me fell worse everytime i get turned down for a job, and when the next interview rolls around i push myself twice as hard to make sure i get it which i dont
has anyone got any tipd or ideas i could try?
mus:- i don't know much but i know i love you and that maybe all i need to know.
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:30 pm

most employers just want you to be you. try not too focus on weather they are judging you and just focus on your qualities. on what you have too offer them. think of it as there loss if you dont get jobs and your someone elses gain. i was unemployed just before xmas and im shy too but i just went for interviews and was just myself. infact i didnt relise i was going for an interview for the job i got. thought it was a agency. agencys are more like cattle markets half the time lol anyway i turned up in jeans unshaven etc and got the job. not recomended lol but it worked as i guess they saw through that and saw i was genuinly interested in the job. just be yourself and try not too push yourself too hard. ill keep my fingers crossed for you faye. good luck brfc xx
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby xfayelouisex » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:42 pm

thankyou brfc, i'll try focus on the points you've given, i'll tell you tommorow how i got on. thanks for the advice
mus:- i don't know much but i know i love you and that maybe all i need to know.
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:48 pm

anytime faye :) once again good luck for your interview hope you get it. all the best brfc
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby chat noir » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:56 pm

best of luck with it! They will know youre nervous :) just try to stay calm, do a little research on the company if you can and remember to always make eye contact and dress well :)

good luck!
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi xfayelouisex,
First of all, congratulations on getting an interview tomorrow. It's good that you're nervous - it's better to be nervous than to come across like you just don't care. That said, you don't want to come across as desperate, because that's off-putting to a potential employer.

You don't say what job you're going for, but I've PMd you some classic interview questions with some hints on answers as well. Hopefully you will get a chance to look at them before your interview.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby xfayelouisex » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:34 pm

thankyou moose for those questions they are a real help, i din't see them before that interview unfortunatly, i think i did okay in the interview but i stuffed up when they asked a question i cudn't think of an answer too so i said im not sure really, bad mistake i know, it was for a sales assistant job in a clothes shop, when i got home i had a phone call from another clothes shop, to come for a interview thursday, for a supervisor job, now im all het up because i now have another one, but i will do some reserch on the company and prepare myself for some questions that i struggle on as i have never tryed that approch, i would love this supervisor job, coz i really want to up myself another step, but i have to stop being so nervous!
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Don't worry about saying you didn't know the answer in your interview. I am not just saying this to make you feel better, but I was asked a question in my interview for the job I'm doing now, and I really didn't know the answer, so I just said "Sorry, I don't know," and I was convinced I hadn't got it because I'd said that.

When they offered it to me, the woman said that they'd liked how I'd said I didn't know the answer because it showed I was honest rather than babbling on about something I didn't know. They said they thought it sounded like I'd be more likely to ask if I was stuck rather than steaming ahead and making a load of mistakes. I'm sure your interviewer thought that about you too. You can't know the answer to everything.

I have a got a few supervisor-type questions as well, so I'll send them over to you as well.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby chat noir » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Moose wrote:Don't worry about saying you didn't know the answer in your interview. I am not just saying this to make you feel better, but I was asked a question in my interview for the job I'm doing now, and I really didn't know the answer, so I just said "Sorry, I don't know," and I was convinced I hadn't got it because I'd said that.

When they offered it to me, the woman said that they'd liked how I'd said I didn't know the answer because it showed I was honest rather than babbling on about something I didn't know. They said they thought it sounded like I'd be more likely to ask if I was stuck rather than steaming ahead and making a load of mistakes. I'm sure your interviewer thought that about you too. You can't know the answer to everything.

I have a got a few supervisor-type questions as well, so I'll send them over to you as well.

if you have any teaching-interview-style questions, could you pm them to me? [-o<
thankyoooou if you do!
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...