Teen-life crisis

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Teen-life crisis

Postby yessica » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm 17. I've got lots of close friends and a really good relationship with my boyfriend. I live with my parents and have no siblings left living at home.

Recently i've been really horrible to my parents. We've always had a fairly close relationship but now I feel like my mum's always trying to stick her nose into my business. She's constantly asking me questions and it drives me up the wall. I just want to be by myself. I can't wait to leave home so I can get some peace. Sometimes I wish my sister lived at home so my mum could ask her some questions instead of me. When my sister stays I get a break from her.

Because she's constantly asking me questions, I end up getting really stressy with her and because she puts me in a bad mood, I end up taking it out on my dad too. Although he does wind me up too sometimes with his thoughtlessness.

I just wish I could leave home and live with my boyfriend. We've only been going out for a few months but we're really close and I just want to spend every hour with him.

My friend said she went through this when she started going out with her boyfriend. She and her mum were always close and the new boyfriend meant that she had to share her time with her mum and her boyfriend and she reckons her mum was jealous and probably curious too.

Does anyone know why I'm being like this? And what I can do to stop? I don't want to be horrible to them I just wish they would give me some peace. I want us to be happy like we were before.

Anytime I do something fun, she'll come in and interrupt me and take all the fun out of whatever I'm doing. Sometimes I might just be daydreaming and she will come in and ask questions. I try and make it clear that I don't want to talk - just want to carry on daydreaming but she persists with her annoying questions.

My boyfriend's really close to his family. He doesn't seem to have this problem. Just like I used to. But my friends do. I'm not sure it's to the same extent though. I thought after my exams I would be less stressed and so everything would be ok again but it's not and it's been 2 weeks. What can I do? Take up an exercise or sporty thing? Please help. I hate feeling like this.
:D Smile and the world smiles with you. Laugh and they all think you're on drugs :lol:
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lidopig » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Yessica!
It's called growing up! Most parents who love their adolescent children are like this.They want what's best for you,and want to help you achieve it.I notice that you blame your Mum and your Dad for your situation, try and see it from their point of view for a change.I doubt that it's their fault all the time,if you know what I mean!
Nigel
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby yessica » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:24 pm

I know it's my fault. I'm the one that's being horrible. I want to know what I can do to help. I've tried to stay relaxed but it's really difficult. I just wondered if there's anything anyone can think of that I can do to control my stress better?
:D Smile and the world smiles with you. Laugh and they all think you're on drugs :lol:
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Teenspirit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 pm

It's those dreaded teenage hormones........

We have all been there at some point or another.

U normally come out the womb are close to both ur parents.
Then u cause grief in between 13-19yrs (sometimes more ha ha ha)...
Then u realise what a git uve been and can see ur family for what they really are n how much they care for u.

My bestfriends Mum is the lovliest woman I know but she does go on at my friend all the time (were 25yrs old). Its just parents way of showing they care....

There are things that ur family do now that u may not like or agree with but as u mature u realise that the things they have been drilling in 2u R very important.
Tolerance, Manners, Respect, Responsability, looking after urself etc...

Also they no that ur the last one 2fly the nest this is very upsetting 2 parents.......

It's ok 2have a bf just try remember 2 make one day 4ur Family. Just 1 day were u can all eat 2gether, play board games talk anything just spend it 2gether as a family trust me when ur older u'll miss these easier days...........

Also try n put off moving out 4 aslong as u can trust me u'll save so much money............
Teenspirit
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby yessica » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks. I'm normal then. I just wish I could be happier around them.
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby retrochav » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:33 am

Why not plan in some special time with you and your mum. Explain that you value her opinion and advice, but sometimes need to make mistakes and experiance things for yourself before you can accept it.

If you tell her that there are fundamental things you would never do; i.e drugs, unprotected sex, etc. you might put her mind at ease. If she isnt getting the message, calmly (and i know its hard, but you are an adult now) explain that she cant always predict and protect, and you need to know you can always come to her, at the momment you feel like backing away. At your age, parrents should be a guide, not a teacher.

You parrents probably feel a bit redundant, and lost. Making some special time and letting them know they still have a role to play will bring you closer. DO be patient, sometimes it takes a while to filter through.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby yessica » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Thank u sooo much! That's great advice (as always retrochav)! I will try that.
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...