Counselling careers

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Counselling careers

Postby JennaXXX » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 am

I have a degree in childhood studies but what I really want to become is a counsellor. However I have no idea how to get into it. I am 21 will my age go against me? What sort of training do I need?
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Z3girl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:59 pm

I think if you have a degree then u can go on to to do a post graduate degee in counselling....your age will certainly not go against you. I work in a university and we get a wide range of ages applying for all different courses....
He who dares, wins!!!!
Z3girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby JennaXXX » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks. I have just heard of other people going into counselling who dont have degrees and I wondered how they managed to get into it
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Jenna,
You don't necessarily need a degree to be a counsellor. The most important thing though, when you're looking for a course, is to check its value before signing up. There are loads of counselling courses around - some just give you the basics, and are interesting, but don't mean a lot to potential employers, but others will get you on the way to achieving The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) accreditation.

Normally, at your local college, you'll be able to do a 10-12 week taster course, which will give you some ideas about whether it really is something you want to do or not. Then you can complete a certificate in counselling (another part time course - can last around a year), then a diploma or advanced diploma in counselling, which will include being observed while you're practising. This can take 3-4 years, but will hopefully gain you your BACP accreditation.

Voluntary work is always a really good idea for counselling, but it is competitive.

You can also go through the degree route where you'd study counselling at degree or masters level.

There is still quite a lot of work you'll need to do before becoming a fully qualified counsellor, so by then, your age may not really be an issue. I'm a careers advisor, and can totally sympathise with your other problem (from your other thread) about looking younger than you are. I look about 10 (I'm 24), and have had people commenting about my age at work, but honestly, once you start talking to them and they see that you DO know your stuff, they generally don't care about your age. And by the time you finish all that training, you really will know what you're talking about!
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to And the rest...