University choices

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

University choices

Postby Raven » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm

I am meant to be going to uni this september. However, I am finding it impossible to choose between two unis. (both have equal good and bad points) I have already accepted a place but now am completely questioning my choice(ARGH). I am even unsure of which course to take as there is nothing that I am REALLY passionate about/interested in. I feel as if I am going for the sake of it, although it will be a good experience I'm sure. I just want everything to be right....any suggestions? I have spent the past year bored, depressed and doing part-time work and can't face another year of that so thought I may aswell go to uni. I have this idea in my head that this is something I MUST do. I think the situation is being exacerbated by the fact I suffer anxiety/depression...but I just feel totally negative about it all and I need to decide ASAP. :-S

Just aaaaargh!
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby all_apologies » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 am

Hey Raven, I completely relate to your situation! I applied to uni with no real idea of what I wanted to do. I just knew I couldn't be bothered working a 9 to 5 quite yet! I got five unconditionals and eventually picked my course on the final day before the deadline, though I really wasn't too enthusiastic about any of them. So basically, like you, I just went "for the sake of it".

If I'm honest, when it came to the final decision about which course to take out of the five I'd been accepted to, I picked the one that I knew I'd share at least a few courses with one of my best friends. Now, I'm not advocating this if you've got a clear vision about what you want to do, but if you really have no preference then it's a good idea to look at aspects like this to help you make your decision. Same goes for which uni out of the two to pick. How are their reputations? Which is closest to you? Will any of your friends be attending either?

Uni isn't always a barrel of laughs, but at the same time I'm glad I've gone through with it. I'm now going into my third year of a four year honours degree and I know that once it's out of the way I'll be happy I put in the time and effort. If I hadn't gone to uni, I still wouldn't have known what to do with my life, so this will help me find some direction to go in. Even if you don't end up in a job directly related to your degree, being a graduate in itself can help you get further up the ladder quicker. Try it out, and see how it goes. I know a lot of people who came to uni for a year and then realised what they wanted to do after having had some experience and changed courses. Either way, you'll never know unless you give it a go, so go with an open mind and enjoy it. Good luck!
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spacegirl » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:37 pm

i hadn't a clue what to do at uni either so i chose what i thought would be the best degree to have at the end of it, i wasn't particularly passionate about my chosen subject, but i absolutely loved the university experience. i just finished a 4 year course and i have to say it was such an amazng time. i met so many people from all different backgrounds from all over the world that will be good friends for life, whom i wouldn't have met in my dull office job i had before uni. if you're feeling restless in your part time job then you're right to do something like university, it's only 3 or 4 years out of your life to give you a chance to figure out what you want to do later on and to have a good time while you're still young lol! don't think of it as something to do, it's a chance that not everyone has to educate yourself and to gain some great life experience. uni isn't for everyone and i'm not going to pretend that it isn't very stressful at times, but personally i loved every minute of it and you're obviously not satisfied just doing mundane part time work, so i think you'll love uni. your instincts told you to choose the uni and course you have chosen, so stick to it. don't worry too much about it, just get on with it, go to lectures (sometimes) and have a great time! having a degree on your CV isn't going to do you any harm.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to And the rest...