Emetophobia is ruining my life...

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Emetophobia is ruining my life...

Postby Ray-Toro-Is-Love » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:05 pm

I have this massive fear of vomiting and it's taking over my life. I'm having therapy, but it isn't doing any good. I also self-harm a lot, and I have OCD. I feel like a freak because I'm competely terrified of something many people think of as simple. :(

Am I the only person here that suffers from this fear? I'd really like someone to talk to about it. Any help is greatly appriciated and if I've posted this in the wrong place, I'm sorry. :oops:
My Chemical Romance saved my life.
Ray-Toro-Is-Love
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby snail » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:06 pm

It looks like no other PPers have emetophobia, but I don't know if it would be helpful for you to hear about my phobia. I can't travel on any form of transport where I'm not in total control (i.e. driving myself). It's OK if it's very slow (like a milk float, lol!) because I feel relatively safe, but otherwise I find the sensation of hurtling along, being trapped inside and unable to stop the movement, completely terrifying. I can't use trains, buses, coaches, boats or planes. This is a well-recognised phobia (as is emetophobia) and is apparently a form of agoraphobia.

I understand 100% what you say about feeling like a freak because you're terrified about something other people regard as normal. One thing I would say is, DON'T be embarrassed about it. When this phobia started to affect me, I hid my problems and made excuses to avoid situations, as I was so ashamed to admit I was afraid of such a normal thing. This was because of the way people did react if I mentioned it: they ridiculed me because they couldn't understand. They didn't believe I COULDN'T get on the vehicle, they believed I'd made a choice not to. They used to say "But wouldn't you like to do so-and-so?" (for example, fly abroad for a holiday). It was as though they expected me to say something like "Oh yeah you're right, that would be nice, I'd never really thought about it. OK I'll just suddenly stop having this phobia that makes my life a misery and get on the plane then". To be honest, it's amazing I've never punched anyone!!!!!!!!!

This is an illness like any other. You don't need to be ashamed of it, and it doesn't mean you're weak. Like your OCD and self-harming, it's your mind's way of trying to cope with very difficult things.

So if you're in a tricky situation, explain you have a phobia. If people can't understand, don't worry about them - it's because they're ignorant. Ignore any silly comments (I try to!). In the meantime, I would definitely continue with the counselling. It can't hurt, and it may be helping you more than you know: this autumn I finally decided to admit to my problem and start seeking professional help. I had a few sessions to start with, and am having more in the New Year. At first, I thought they weren't really helping at all, but there's a kind of delay - they seem to be 'kicking in' more and more. Having said that, if you're not happy with your counsellor, by all means make a few inquiries about changing to a different one that might help you more. There's also a UK self-group for emetophobics, called Gut Reaction, which you may find useful:
www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neesy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:40 pm

You are not a freak - you have a very real phobia! Have you tried googling emetophobia to see if there is any kind of support you can get?
Neesy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Yellowcoaching » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:34 pm

It is a common phobia and there's sure to be support groups for it online
PM me if you need a link to a site that might offer peer to peer support for you.

CBT can help cure this kind of phobia and it could be of help with your other problems the OCD and self harm too
ask your DR about it if you're in the UK there's a waiting list on the NHS but i think in your circumstances it's well worth a shot.
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...