car accident

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

car accident

Postby *sparkle* » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 pm

hi all
i had a car accident the other day. i went into the back of other car, so it was my fault. i did stop. went to get the other drivers details but he drove off what do i do now do i just forget it and get my car repair or not? i would be gratefull for any advice as this is starting to play on my mind.
*sparkle*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Cara » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Sparkle
Sorry to hear of your accident hope you are ok thats the main thing. I've been thinking about your dilemna and it may be an idea to report it to the police anyway just to cover your back. Who knows what this other driver will do. Chances are he drove off because he has no insurance etc, and you will never hear about it again on the other hand what if he were to report to the police that it was you that drove off.

I always think it better to be one step ahead and cover your back.

Hope you get things sorted.
Cara
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Yes do the same with your insurance company too
If you are fully comp they will pay for your repairs anyway - ring them and check the situation
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby *sparkle* » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:25 pm

rang insurance company cant do nothing about it so its down to me to to pay for my repairs. can the police do anything if he called them as he has no information about me or my car.
*sparkle*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby brfc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:16 pm

odds on he was wanted by the police or not taxed or insured etc so i wouldnt worry about him. itd be a good idea too contact the police just to cover your own back then leave it there.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovereign9841 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:24 am

I had a similar situation & was told that you had 24 or 48 hours to report it, i had left it 4 days before reporting it, others are probably right though in that he probably didn't have insurance or something, so has not bothered to report it, but in those situations its always better to report it anyway, better than it coming back to bite you in the butt... and even thought u stopped its his word against yours & it would be taken as failure to report an accident or failure to stop at the scene of an accident.

I reversed into someone on a roundabout lol (new car & had not sussed out the gear changes) didn't do any damage to them, but they was a HUGE family & was getting really vocal about it, so i didn't stop, cus i panicked, technically thought it was still their fault for being too close to me! In fact i had no intentions of reporting it, i was at the police station for something else entirely, looking back it was a really bad idea, but at the time i was just scared about the whole thing (was only young!).
sovereign9841
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby *sparkle* » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:40 am

thanks for all the advice i rang my local police station and reported it they said dont worry about it. they took my details but told me to go ahead and repair my car and that they would not take it any futher. getting car done today so aleast i can the car back any way thank you
*sparkle*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby brfc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:45 am

glad it all worked out sparkle :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to And the rest...