police caution

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

police caution

Postby *blu_pixie* » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:27 am

i have been looking for full-time work for almost three months now, without any luck. i have applied for many different jobs and have made sure to fill in the application forms properly and provide a good cv. however i feel it may have something to do with what happend 2 years ago. i recieved a police caution and i fear this may be the reason for employers not wanting to employ me. is it possible to retrieve information about arrests/police cautions etc from your national insurance number?

any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
*blu_pixie*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby missy3 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 am

As far as I'm aware, they can't do a search on you unless you sign a document saying they can.

You only usually get searched if you are applying for jobs where you would be working in vunerable situations - with children, working with legal files etc. My husband works in a school, and he has to sign a special form to say they can apply for a criminal record check.

Have you tried a CV company? The job centre can also help - they will review your CV and show you exactly what employers look for.
Good luck with the job hunt.
Missy
x
missy3
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: police caution

Postby retrochav » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 pm

The simple answer is no.

Your national insurance number is purely an account to which your insurance credits are monitored. We pay this to enable us to draw "contributory" benefits if sick or unemployed or retiring, as oppossed to "means tested" benefits which are payable if you have little or no income or savings.

A caution is completely wiped if you were under seventeen when it was commited. I believe it is "spent" after two years anyway (i could be wrong on that). However, an employer can only get this information if you agree to a disclosure, which is usually only conducted in jobs where you would be working with vulnerable adults or children. This is expensive, as CRB (criminal records bureau) checks arent free.

Therefore an employer is only likely to pay for this if they intend to start you in a job. An enhanced check could pull up a caution, but only if relevant to a job.

I would concentrate on a good C.V and interview skills, and forget the caution - it wont be an issue.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to And the rest...