Can they fire me for that and would it be Unfair Dismissal?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Can they fire me for that and would it be Unfair Dismissal?

Postby lollilollilolli » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:44 pm

I Started a new job 2 weeks ago

3 days into the job i got a phone call in work from my bfs boss saying there had been a accident in work and that my bf was on the way to hospital.My boss let me off and I went to him.He was ok was just a routine check up after an accident and he was fine.

Anyway so im two weeks into the job,This weekend gone my brother tried2kill himself, It shook me to the core as me and him are very close.I kept bursting into tears and i had every intenion of goin into work today but this morning getn ready for work i broke down again for no reason and as I work in around lots of people(Cafe) i didnt wanna risk a public display.

I canned my boss and explained the sitrustion and told him id be in tomorrow and honestly he seemed very fed up. Can he fire me for this and If he did would it be unfair dismissal. I never signed a contract and Had not been told anything about signing one
lollilollilolli
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misskrystal » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Most jobs have a trial period where employers give their new employees a chance to prove themselves. This also gives the employees a chance to decide whether they like the job. Unfortunately, because of events beyond your control, you've proven yourself to be very unreliable and haven't been able to show your boss how good you are. If you can't show your employer that you will make a great employee, then they'll have a hard time deciding to keep you.

To make sure you impress your boss, request a meeting where you can explain what's been going on and ask them to give you more time to prove yourself. They are well within their rights to let you go and it wouldn't be classed as unfair dismissal (although it is unsympathetic).
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...