Uni decision

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Should I stay or should I go?

Stay, you'd be making a mistake to leave
100%
Leave, you can always go back later on
No votes

Total votes : 1

Uni decision

Postby Raven » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey,

Even though I'm a bit happier here now I'm still wondering as to whether or not uni is the right option for me. I'm still completely disillusioned about it all..the cost, the lack of lectures (and the quality of lectures), the whole self-study thing. But I'm cautious to leave because I think I may regret it in years to come and I have met some nice people (although I'm still open to the option of going back to uni after a few years if I change my mind). I feel at the moment I could do with some structure in my life. There are lots of things I want to do that require money (so being a student isn't really ideal!). I think if I stayed I would still be unmotivated and probably would come out with a poor degree anyway. I wouldn't leave uni until I had a job secured as I took a gap year last year and never really got a job.

What does everyone think?
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby missy3 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:40 pm

The only thing I would mention is that it's very hard to go back. I had to leave uni for a year due to ill health, and I very nearly didn't go back. I was only supposed to be off for about 8 months, but it was a year and a half before I dragged myself back. Was dreading it, but am now very pleased that I did (now it's all over that is!). If you think you can stick it out, I would do so - but obviously don't make yourself depressed if it's that bad.

Missy
x
missy3
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby kitten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:32 pm

I would have liked to have gone to uni but think I may have struggled at times.

I am now studying with the Open University which means I can work and study at the same time although it takes discipline to get both fitted in.

I believe they can credit points from any current courses you were doing. Thought I'd mention this as an alternative that may solve your problem.

But if you think you can stick it out I think i'd stay but its up to you.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:21 pm

You've only been at uni since September, haven't you? I think I'd try to stick it out a bit longer until you're totally sure. I don't know the rules but I think it might be harder to get student loans next time round etc (if they still have those!) once you've dropped out.

However, Kitten's right about the Open University - you can, in some cases, transfer academic 'credit' so you don't have to do the whole degree from the beginning again when studying with them. I didn't have an opportunity to go to uni in the conventional way, but I eventually did my whole degree with the OU. Their academic standards are high, and their degrees well thought of.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Raven » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Yeah, since September. I will probably stick it out until the end of the year.

I don't think it'd be too difficult to get back into it, what with loans etc..there are many mature students here.
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...