knocked confidence at work

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

knocked confidence at work

Postby miaow » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 am

I havent really got a problem....just need to sound off to clear my head!! I've been in this job 3.5yrs and in Jan we got told my department was at high risk of redundancy unless they got enough voluntary applications for redundancy - if they didnt then we'd probably loose our jobs. So, in meantime I was looking out for other jobs - I work in large organisation and as terms and pay are good was hoping to find a job still here but in 'safe' place.

Anyhow, I applied for one job which I had an interview for yday. But last wk we got told our jobs are safe as they received enough applications for vol redundancy to cover the deficit loss we'd made. This was a huge relief to me - for 4mths I have been wondering what will happen if I lose my job and all the usual worries that would come with it. I was conscious I didnt jump ship as didnt want to go to a lower paid job I didnt enjoy then find out my old job would have been safe.

Anyhow looks like I did right thing as my job is safe so I will be ok. However, when I rang the day before the interview to withdraw I got talked into going - esp as I was internal candidate and have some knowledge already of the job....explained I probably wouldnt take the job if offered to me as would be sideways step and had been honest from start and said im only applying as I may lose my job - was knee jerk reaction. Anyhow, I got talked into going so all that night I was terrible with nerves and couldnt sleep trying to prepare for the interview...then I went to the interview and the letter from HR had the wrong room number on so I had no idea where to report to.

As internal I managed to ring HR who told me right room number. I had a test at 9am then interview at 9.30, so sat down and 5mins into test lady says sorry but they want to interview you now. So I stopped and went straight into the interview, then half way through interview the panel realise they have wrong application form infront of them - so they were interviewing me looking and thinking I was a different candidate. Then I had to go back to do the test and I just thought I wish id never come for this and stuck to my guns. I didnt get any experience from it - it was a shambles, half me because I wasnt in right frame of mind but half them for the entire process.

Now ive just had call to say Im unsuccessful but im mad at MYSELF for going through with it and making myself feel sick with nerves all the other night and all yesterday morning!

I just feel really awful at moment, its really knocked my confidence. I think deep down I must of wanted them to offer me the job (even though I didnt want it) or at least gain some benefit of experience from going to the interview...... :'(

Sorry - just need to snap out of it and needed to offload!

xx

edited by all_apologies: no swearing please
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Hopefully you're feeling a bit better today Miaow. Rejection's always hard - it's human nature, even if we didn't even want the thing in the first place! But you don't know why it happened - could be they had a pet candidate they'd pretty much already decided to offer the job to.

And you did learn something - you learnt not to lie awake worrying because it's just a waste of energy, and what to do if they mess up your interview. The next interview you have will seem a breeze :P
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby miaow » Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 am

thanks for yr reply snail, made me feel better to just type it down on here - kind of cleared it in my head!!

Yes, i was proud of myself for going through with it and really the reason i didnt get it was because i hadnt prepared enough!

xxx
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...