Big job interview!

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Big job interview!

Postby SJR123 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi, I was just wanting some advice or tips around getting over nerves with a job interview and this site always gives such sensible well considered advice!
Ive got a big job interview next week consisting of two seperate interviews and a presentation and suffer so badly with nerves that I end up wimping out which I dont really want to do. Has anyone any advice please on how to control them. We are talking about sleepless nights here, stomache cramps, racing heart, mind going blank etc and general living fear!! Extreme I know but I just cant help it - Ive even cancelled just before going into the interview room in the past before but they encouraged me to go back in..

Thanks
SJR123
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Yellowcoaching » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm

When is your interview?

There's a lot you can do for your nerves, preparation and breathing techniques; but a lot of my advice depends on the time you have between now and the interview.
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Get some rescue remedy for the day (available in health food shops)
Just put a few drops on your tongue and it can calm you down

Take some Kalms the few days before to relax your body

Get a massage the night before or the morning of
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby SJR123 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks for your replies - Its on Monday - 3pm - think thats why Im so nervous too as not much time to prepare for it - stomaches going already! Ive got a drs appt later to ask for beta blockers!

Ive tried that Rescue Remedy before, but my nerves still got the better of me (it was for the interview I cancelled 5 mins before going in, but they asked me to go in - did get that job but doesnt help with severe case of nerves now!). It really is horrible isnt it :(
SJR123
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Yellowcoaching » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 am

The beta blockers will help with your heart rate and the shaking sweats and so on. Breath work is important too breathe in for a count of 4 hold for 2 breathe out for a count of 6. Practice this as often as you can and start from a point where you already feel calm adn relaxed. Then use it before you go in for your interview jsut a few times and your body should "remember" how to feel calmer and more relaxed.

The out breath is the calming breath and your body gets a signal to relax when you extend it. It cancels out the fight or flight repsonse of anxiety to some degree.

You also need to focus on postive thoughts, you got the job last time in spite of the nerves, think of how well you'll do this time with then under control.

I have used this method with a number of clients who suffer from anxiety to help with general anxiety and specific events such as interviews or public speaking.

PM me if you need further help.
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...